Amalfi

We will  be sailing on the Explorer, Venice to Rome, on October 19, 2019.  We are scheduled to anchor at Amalfi/Positano. We would like to hire a private car/limo service to tour the Amalfi Coast. We would appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, or warnings since this is our first visit to Amalfi.

The roads are windy.  So if you get motion sick at all, take your meds.  But then again I was in a bus, not a private car, and we were coming by road from Sorrento, which is quite a long trip.

I'm also interested in hearing suggestions, since we have a stop there in 2021. 

14 hours ago, Las Vegas Sailing said:

We will  be sailing on the Explorer, Venice to Rome, on October 19, 2019.  We are scheduled to anchor at Amalfi/Positano. We would like to hire a private car/limo service to tour the Amalfi Coast. We would appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, or warnings since this is our first visit to Amalfi.

It is an amazing area to visit.

We enjoyed it so much in 2014 we did it again a few months ago.

In 2014 we used a company called Joe Banana Limos and I would recommend them.

https://www.joebananalimos.net/shore-excursions/shore-excursions-from-amalfi/The-Amalfi-Coast-in-full-Port

I would have no worries/concerns about this.  In 2014 it was a sunny day and earlier this year it rained/was overcast but we still thoroughly enjoyed it.  Personally the key to me is to do it privately rather than in a bus.

Keith

We used Monti and they were great ! Rick Steves is a fan of theirs. Do not try to drive yourself. Another option is to do a Yacht charter. We used Amalfi yachts. Seeing it from the water is great and they will take you out to Capri as well.

3 hours ago, ChappChapp said:

We used Monti and they were great ! Rick Steves is a fan of theirs. Do not try to drive yourself. Another option is to do a Yacht charter. We used Amalfi yachts. Seeing it from the water is great and they will take you out to Capri as well.

Ooh, a yacht charter sounds great!  And I guess you could find one that would take 6 or 8 people to make this fairly cost effective.  Great tip!

Wendy if you are going in the warmer months the Amalfi coast road is bumper to bumper which you don't need on your holiday. We were able to swim off the back of the yacht and the captain called and made lunch reservations ahead . I understand you can also have a meal catered aboard. One of our great vacation memories.

1 hour ago, ChappChapp said:

Wendy if you are going in the warmer months the Amalfi coast road is bumper to bumper which you don't need on your holiday. We were able to swim off the back of the yacht and the captain called and made lunch reservations ahead . I understand you can also have a meal catered aboard. One of our great vacation memories.

Sounds lovely,  although it'll be late April. Last time was end of October. 

We just finished our Voyager Barcelona to Venice cruise which we totally enjoyed.

We chose the "Beautiful Positano and Amalfi Small Group" tour which was only 18 dollars per person. We had a very nice boat from the Amalfi  dock to Positano. Our "small group" of 12 was placed onboard with another 20 extras from the non SMG, but the boat was lightly loaded. It was an easy walk to the top of Positano, and the views were very good. Before wandering around in Positano, we did a tour at MAR. It was well worth the 18 euros each for us since it funds future excavation of this site. This is a Roman vacation villa that was buried along with Pompeii. It was later used as a base to build on for the Cathedral's outbuildings. It was amazing to see the walls of the excavted dining room, with the burial site of the monks above it, and the Cathedral on top of all of it. And the excavation area uncovered from it's 79 AD ashes, is nicely air conditioned to preserve the frescoes on the walls, which was very nice on a 90 F day. We walked to the top of Positano after that, then back to the boat back to Amalfi for a walking tour with the Cathedral there. We were on our own to the tender when we wanted to go back to the ship. Well worth the 36 dollars for a comfortable and fast boat ride to Positano and back, a very small group tour through Amalfi and through the Cathedral.

We had considered the drive along the highway at the top of the hill, but these are seaside towns, which we preferred to tour from the sea.

I would highly recommend Francesco Marrapese. My wife and I toured the coast with him in 2013 while in port for one day on a Silversea cruise of the Med. Check him on Tripadvisor - we had a fabulous five hour tour of the coast including many stops at places of interest as well as having lunch in Ravello in a wonderful little restaurant overlooking the water. Francesco lives in the area and has a vast knowledge of the history of the coast - personable, funny and excellent English. He drove a newer Mercedes SUV and gave a great commentary throughout the trip. My wife and I thought this tour and the scenery was the highlight of the trip. As previous posters have commented, for goodness sake don't try and drive the coast yourself! Francesco was an excellent, safe driver and we had full confidence in his abilities. I believe the price at the time was about $350 euros but we felt it was worth every penny. Have a great trip - the coast is wonderful!

Cheers,

Rob

For our past two visits we have used toursofamalficoast.com (owner is called Linette). We had a driver for

the whole day - was 320 euros for the two of us last trip,  360 for 4, and driver was a charming guy and a great driver on those narrow roads!

Tell them where you want to go ahead of time and they will work out the most time efficient route as it it wise to go either in a clockwise or anticlockwise route but not to mix both, as roads are just too congested.