Help Determining Which Cruise From 2!!

My wife and I are having a hard time deciding between a 7 day on the Carnival Fascination from San Juan to Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Lucia and St. Thomas OR a 7 day on the Carnival Miracle from Tampa to Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman, and Belize. Both cruises are in August.

It has been over 11 years since our last cruise. We tend to like excursions as opposed to sitting on the beach the whole day. We are not big drinkers. We typically take excursions/tour guides that are not through the cruise line. We enjoy snorkeling, zip lining, and any unique active activities. We also enjoy getting to see/learn about the true culture and prefer to stay away from heavy commercialized areas. Any advice, favorite ports, favorite excursions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

I've been at least twice to all of the San Juan itinerary destinations. Haven't been to any of the ones you would see from Tampa. So, obviously cannot do a direct comparison. Of the ports on the western itinerary, the only spot that would vaguely interest me is Belize. But I know I would very much prefer to do the one from San Juan simply because I would have zero interest in Tampa, but I love San Juan and the cruise you describe would be a good excuse to return to San Juan and enjoy a few days pre- and post-cruise. 

In short, for me, it is more about the ship, the chance to be at sea, the shipboard experience, and the embarkation and debarkation ports. The ports-of-call along the way are generally not the major factor in our choice of where to go.

Stan

6 hours ago, netminder1980 said:

My wife and I are having a hard time deciding between a 7 day on the Carnival Fascination from San Juan to Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Lucia and St. Thomas OR a 7 day on the Carnival Miracle from Tampa to Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman, and Belize. Both cruises are in August.

It has been over 11 years since our last cruise. We tend to like excursions as opposed to sitting on the beach the whole day. We are not big drinkers. We typically take excursions/tour guides that are not through the cruise line. We enjoy snorkeling, zip lining, and any unique active activities. We also enjoy getting to see/learn about the true culture and prefer to stay away from heavy commercialized areas. Any advice, favorite ports, favorite excursions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

My vote would be the Carnival Miracle from Tampa to Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman, and Belize.  Biggest reason - I don't want to fly to/from San Juan to catch a cruise.

OP, we are going on the Fascination in September but booked our trip in January and airfare in February.  Unless you have priced out airfare already to SJU, it probably will be more than you think & may affect your decision.  Since you indicated you like excursions, you may want to take that cruise at some future date since it has 5 stops and only 1 sea day.

I'd do the cruise out of San Juan. Most week long cruises out of Florida start on a Saturday or Sunday so they are synchronized hitting the Caribbean ports mid-week on the same day as a bunch of other ships making for very crowded ports. 

Fewer ships leave from San Juan and usually they visit the common ports at the start or end of the cruise. For example, the Fascination itinerary is in St. Thomas on day 2, a Monday, when the port should be less crowded.

• Like 1

Been on both ships - they are equally tacky and garish, Miracle is not quite as old.

Sailed from both ports - like SJU better than Tampa, since we had a horrible debarkation from there due to lack of CBP agents that morning.  Liked the Valet parking at Tampa though.  SJU never needed priority boarding as the ship sails late and I never had to use platinum line..

Ports - the OP said they like excursions and "snorkeling zip lining and unique activities".  They can take excursions in either itinerary, but the best snorkeling is on the western itin. with Tabayana Beach in Roatan and various reef sites in Belize.  Culturally, there are more "historic" excavations of ruins on the western itin as well.  Might be more zip lining outfits on western as well. The eastern itin. can give a perspective on how the islands dealt with slavery and later on, independence.  Shopping is certainly better on St Thomas and St Maarten FWIW.

I suggest one itinerary this year, and the other next year or later.  The OP can enjoy both that way!