Lahaina Beach Day . . .

balanceok

We will be arriving in Lahaina Maui in September on the Celebrity Solstice and I'm wondering if there is a beach or nearby resort where we can just rent a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella like in the Caribbean.

I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, balanceok said:

We will be arriving in Lahaina Maui in September on the Celebrity Solstice and I'm wondering if there is a beach or nearby resort where we can just rent a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella like in the Caribbean.

I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.

Thanks.

We always stay in Kaanapali. Beautiful beaches, shopping, places to eat. There's a sidewalk that is along the resorts. The Hyatt has penguins to see and the best shave ice, Ulalani's. They have a small place by the water. There's Whalers Village that has nice shopping. The Hula Grill has good food and the Hula Pie is a must for dessert. There's isn't resorts that allow u to use their chairs like in the Caribbean. Bring your towels, and pick a spot. Nice snorkeling in front of the Sheraton by black rock. We stay on Kaanapali beach every yr. Love it!

Lahaina is a great place to shop and eat as well. Visit the banyan tree for fun. They also have the larger version of Ulalani's for the best shave ice. Get the ice cream at the bottom...yum

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Hawaii beaches are not like Caribbean beaches.  You won't find vendors for chairs/water sports, etc....

Actually not true. Each of the hotels along Kaanapali have a little shack that will rent you chairs, snorkel gear, paddle boards, sea kayaks, etc. They sell sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. Available to the public. 

The beach by the Whaler is a little washed out at the moment but the beach in front of the Sheraton by black rock is wide as well as the one in front of the Westin-- both are on either side of Whalers Village. The major hotels (Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, and The Whaler) are very protective of their pools and only allow guests (which they monitor with wristbands). The Kaanapali Beach Hotel (located between the Whaler and Sheraton) doesnt seem to really care though, and its quite easy for non guests to go for a dip before or after one of their lethal Mai Tais from Dale in the Tiki Bar there. 

4 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Hawaii beaches are not like Caribbean beaches.  You won't find vendors for chairs/water sports, etc....

Mostly true.

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Actually not true. Each of the hotels along Kaanapali have a little shack that will rent you chairs, snorkel gear, paddle boards, sea kayaks, etc. They sell sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. Available to the public.

I say MOSTLY true because unlike Mexico and the Caribbean you get a beach CHAIR, like this

y5jzf5gb

Not this......

21ffe9ea4bde0019f1c1856f34d50bf7.jpg

And you won't get "beach sports" like para sailing, riding a banana boat, etc.

Just so everyone is on the same page.

27 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

And you won't get "beach sports" like para sailing

They actually do have parasailing on Kaanapali, and quite a bit of it too. About 3-4 boats at any given time. Its only done when the whales aren't there so mostly in the summer. 

Nothing like a great beach day!!!  Check out the beach rentals at www.kbhmaui.com, the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.  If you click on "Area and Activities" and go down to "Beach Rentals" it will give you prices for hotel guests and non-guests.  It appears that the rentals are handled by Hale Huaka'i Maui and it is first come first served but you might give them a call 808-667-0134.   Have a fun time.  Cherie  

On 7/29/2019 at 12:04 PM, princeton123211 said:

They actually do have parasailing on Kaanapali, and quite a bit of it too. About 3-4 boats at any given time. Its only done when the whales aren't there so mostly in the summer. 

I am almost never on Maui in Summer unless it is business and then I'm not on the beach much. Interesting to know they have some of those things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, princeton123211 said:

The beach by the Whaler is a little washed out at the moment but the beach in front of the Sheraton by black rock is wide as well as the one in front of the Westin-- both are on either side of Whalers Village. The major hotels (Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, and The Whaler) are very protective of their pools and only allow guests (which they monitor with wristbands). The Kaanapali Beach Hotel (located between the Whaler and Sheraton) doesnt seem to really care though, and its quite easy for non guests to go for a dip before or after one of their lethal Mai Tais from Dale in the Tiki Bar there. 

Are you allowed on the beach in front of these major hotels or is the beach private in that area?

Thanks

38 minutes ago, alrose251 said:

Are you allowed on the beach in front of these major hotels or is the beach private in that area?

Thanks

Basically all beaches in Hawaii are public. The only exception would be a military installation.

You can also go into any hotel to eat and drink. There are no private hotels in HI.

1 hour ago, alrose251 said:

Thanks for clarifying this for me!  I do want to snorkel in Maui!

If you’re going to on Ka’anapali beach, many snorkel around black rock in front of the Sheraton. Be careful tho. I think farther out around the rock is a current out past the rock. It’s a popular place to snorkel 

Unless things have changed since 2015 - and well they might have - we've rented umbrellas and full loungers on Kaanapali Beach on numerous occasions.  The vendors were on the beachwalk as you head towards Black Rock (or if you head through Whaler's Village, turn right).  Maybe things have changed, but I hope not because we were planning to rent again this October. 

• Like 1