Status match discount after booking?

Heather1972

Hi all, 

I am tempted by a cruise on Seaside next September, maybe even a back to back cruise.  I sent in my stuff yesterday to be status matched to NCL Platinum. That will make me Gold I believe? If I book a cruise before the status match goes through, can the 5% discount be applied later or should I wait to book after they have completed the status match? I'm anxious to book! 

No promises, but I booked our MSC cruise in January.  I also applied for status match at that time.  In April, I saw someone posted they had called MSC and had the 5% Status Match discount applied to their cruise.  So I called and they applied the 5% (and the port charges had dropped).  So, in total, I saved 10% off the  original price of my cruise.  The only negative:  I called in the evening and it took 25 minutes on hold listening to a repetitive 30 second sound track until customer service picked up the phone to help me.  Once I reached them, they were wonderful!

Edited by Cruising Photographer

3 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

Thanks for the responses. Me and some friends who typically book with NCL are trying out MSC. I will pass on the info. 

Another NCL defector, for your convenience of course?

I just booked a cruise last week and went online and did the status match the next day. After a week I called MSC to check on the status match and they did looked up my submission and completed it while on the phone. The she added it to my booking and the 5% was refunded back to my credit card almost the same day.

You will have no problem with them crediting it to your cruise after the fact.

5 hours ago, Cruise4Jesus said:

I just booked a cruise last week and went online and did the status match the next day. After a week I called MSC to check on the status match and they did looked up my submission and completed it while on the phone. The she added it to my booking and the 5% was refunded back to my credit card almost the same day.

You will have no problem with them crediting it to your cruise after the fact.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

???

There are several CC regulars who have left NCL for MSC the last couple years since FDR took over.  The last part is a joke, the normal marketing speak after they raise fees or take something away NCL uses that phrase.

For all of you who were successful getting the 5%...did you book directly through MSC? I booked my cruise through an online "Big Box" store as they say and am past final payment. I doubt it would work.

HLR

If you don’t have or qualify for a status match (were lowest level with every cruise line we’ve sailed with), MSC also offers a nice military discount. We got that booking through an agency and directly with MSC.the only drawback is you apparently have to resubmit proof each time, they don’t have any set up for an indicator in your profile for this to carry forward. Still, worth the effort.

Our travel agent has my H’s dd214 on file and just sends it in .A platinum on NCL should get you black card status. It has for my friend and I . Just off a Celebrity cruise to day but will always look at a MSC itinerary out of Miami or NYC

1 hour ago, Joken35 said:

Our travel agent has my H’s dd214 on file and just sends it in .A platinum on NCL should get you black card status. It has for my friend and I . Just off a Celebrity cruise to day but will always look at a MSC itinerary out of Miami or NYC

I’m platinum with NCL. I thought it would make me gold with MSC? 

9 hours ago, Joken35 said:

From reports, NCL Plat now MSC gold as of late October.

Edited by dexddd

On 7/14/2019 at 5:29 PM, Cruise4Jesus said:

I had no problem after final.

Majority rules! LOL But always worth a try. I am a little less than than 3 months out...my Online TA replied thus:

Good afternoon,
Thank you for contacting blank.com.  Unfortunately MSC advised that since your reservation is paid in full and past the final payment date they are not able to add the discount.

My status match took forever and although I asked about the 5 percent it was not provided. Truth be told I really wanted to get black only because of the big giant chocolate ship 🙂

we need to unplug not interested in free internet...perhaps when I get to some of the higher levels with laundry or free mini bar it will be more appealing!

They did match us to Gold but we must travel again within 3 years to keep it and they will only match once, since I like to switch out cruise lines that may be an issue at some point.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:24 PM, Joken35 said:

Veterans get ten percent discount 😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tobyt said:

My status match took forever and although I asked about the 5 percent it was not provided. Truth be told I really wanted to get black only because of the big giant chocolate ship 🙂

we need to unplug not interested in free internet...perhaps when I get to some of the higher levels with laundry or free mini bar it will be more appealing!

They did match us to Gold but we must travel again within 3 years to keep it and they will only match once, since I like to switch out cruise lines that may be an issue at some point.

No free laundry.