3 Queens Southampton 11 August '19

Phil50

Going to take a trip down to Southampton to see this, either by train or car. Any tips for viewing them? I'm guessing they all depart about 6pm?

I looked at getting the small ferry over to Hythe but the last one back to Southampton is 5.40pm, which is too early to get back to Southampton for the train back, so we might drive down instead and go straight to Hythe in the car. Maybe once they've sailed past us we could drive down to Calshot Point and see them again? This is just some info I've found online but would prefer some tips off here!

It will be nice to see QV departing on the 11th as when she gets back on the 23rd we'll be boarding her for our first ever cruise to the Baltics 😀

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I wouldn't take too much notice of this , I've (Diamond) friends sailing on Q.Vic who have been given a check-in time of 15.00 !!  (of course I've told them to ignore this as it must be an error ? ) 

I think we agree that ( muster) boat  drill doesn't often begin until about 4.30pm ish , and then there are the usual ad-hock delays. I expect they wouldn't be on the way well before 5.30pm . Trying to get Three Ships to 'almost' sail out on time must be a logistic nightmare.

I'm looking forward to the afternoon,  as I'll be somewhere on the Solent with a cooler box 😉 and a picnic.      

4 hours ago, Phil50 said:

Going to take a trip down to Southampton to see this, either by train or car. Any tips for viewing them? I'm guessing they all depart about 6pm?

I looked at getting the small ferry over to Hythe but the last one back to Southampton is 5.40pm, which is too early to get back to Southampton for the train back, so we might drive down instead and go straight to Hythe in the car. Maybe once they've sailed past us we could drive down to Calshot Point and see them again? This is just some info I've found online but would prefer some tips off here!

It will be nice to see QV departing on the 11th as when she gets back on the 23rd we'll be boarding her for our first ever cruise to the Baltics 😀

Not really an option driving between Hythe and Calshot I'm afraid unless you are happy to only watch them static from Hythe.

Calshot would always be my best option...

1093190120_ThreeQueensheadingforCalshot.thumb.jpg.98c7b90b7dc012fc0fabb8c09c57b327.jpg

413509767_ThreeQueensbetweenCalshotandCowes.thumb.jpg.7d909253f42e8025f49b62403826d00c.jpg

Thanks both. Still undecided. I can get to Southampton from Birmingham on a direct train and for free in 1st Class too as I work for XC Trains! So if I’m going to drive 140 odd miles it’s got to be worth it. 

Maybe we’ll just get the train and see them in Southampton, then get the ferry to Hythe and if we can’t get back by the ferry then an Uber might be an option back to the rail station?

13 minutes ago, Phil50 said:

Thanks both. Still undecided. I can get to Southampton from Birmingham on a direct train and for free in 1st Class too as I work for XC Trains! So if I’m going to drive 140 odd miles it’s got to be worth it. 

Maybe we’ll just get the train and see them in Southampton, then get the ferry to Hythe and if we can’t get back by the ferry then an Uber might be an option back to the rail station?

The Hythe ferry timetable I've just looked at has it running well into the evening in the summer, so I think you should be OK.

We are on this sailing. Just ordinary balcony and our checkin is 1.30 . We will be there late morning. There are 4 ships going out in that time frame , the 3  queens plus Celebrity  Sil , I think she is timed for 5pm but may be wrong . Goodness knows what order. But i think the gent needs to be there way before 4pm if he wants a good view  as it will be heaving with bye standers    

Edited by fizzy1

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I wouldn't take too much notice of this , I've (Diamond) friends sailing on Q.Vic who have been given a check-in time of 15.00 !!  (of course I've told them to ignore this as it must be an error ? ) 

I think we agree that ( muster) boat  drill doesn't often begin until about 4.30pm ish , and then there are the usual ad-hock delays. I expect they wouldn't be on the way well before 5.30pm . Trying to get Three Ships to 'almost' sail out on time must be a logistic nightmare.

I'm looking forward to the afternoon,  as I'll be somewhere on the Solent with a cooler box 😉 and a picnic.      

4 ships actually !! Celebrity  Sil timed for 5pm

Gee, I´ll be boarding the QM2 that day. I haven´t checked the port website yet so I didn´t know. Looks like we´re gonna take the lead which might be a good photo op!

The Celebrity Silhouette is listed with 4 pm on the port website. So she might leave first.

steamboats

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The Hythe ferry timetable I've just looked at has it running well into the evening in the summer, so I think you should be OK.

I've just checked again and it definitely says 5.40pm is the last ferry back to Soton on Sundays 🙁

4 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

We are on this sailing. Just ordinary balcony and our checkin is 1.30 . We will be there late morning. There are 4 ships going out in that time frame , the 3  queens plus Celebrity  Sil , I think she is timed for 5pm but may be wrong . Goodness knows what order. But i think the gent needs to be there way before 4pm if he wants a good view  as it will be heaving with bye standers    

Really?! Is it that popular? We'll be making a day of it either way, will be lovely if the weather is good.

14 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

4 ships actually !! Celebrity  Sil timed for 5pm

I don't think many folks will be rushing down to the Solent to see a Celebrity ship sail out , the afternoon event is defiantly Cunard's three Queens sailing out in tandem.  

41 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I don't think many folks will be rushing down to the Solent to see a Celebrity ship sail out , the afternoon event is defiantly Cunard's three Queens sailing out in tandem.  No. Don't suppose they will be  ! Just saying that there are 4 ships leaving in that time frame so the port and  surrounding area will be busy.   

Edited by fizzy1

11 hours ago, Phil50 said:

I've just checked again and it definitely says 5.40pm is the last ferry back to Soton on Sundays 🙁

I'm so sorry: that was really careless of me not to realise it was a Sunday. Usually when I've been on QV or QE, they have left roughly on time, though with a bit of latitude because of other ships. I do wonder if you caught say the 16.40 whether you would actually be in among them as they left. I realise this would put you in Southampton earlier than you would like. Anyway, my apologies again.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, Bell Boy said:

Last month we received a 15:00 check-in time for the QE in Vancouver. Our travel agent spoke with Cunard about this (and another matter) and although the rep. didn't admit it was an error she said to ignore it as Diamond members may board with the Grills starting at 12:15. We were on board at 11:15 with staterooms available about 12:30.

• Like 1