Escargots? And some other last minute questions

Baobaokitty

Boarding Volendam for 7 night Alaska cruise soon! Super excited!

Now, I am a big fan of the escargots, which I believe are only on the menu of one of the Gala nights (which one?). But I've read on this forum that you can request Escargot on the first night and your server can bring it every night afterwards. Is that still true? Also, we have anytime dining, which means different server every night. Does that make a difference?

A couple other last minute questions:

1. I've always avoided doing laundry on a ship, but this time I may have to do it. Do the laundry machines accept key cards for charges or quarters only?

2. We are travelling with a toddler's carseat and stroller. Can we drop off these items with rest of luggage at check in to be delivered to our stateroom?

3. For breakfast, are there grab and go sandwiches we can conveniently take with us to the port? Want to maximize our time at port and start our days faster!

4. Lunch at MDR vs lunch at the buffet, do they serve the same things? I know some cruise lines do but some serve better items at MDR.

1. From doing some checking I didn't see a laundry on the Volendam. You may have to do the $20.00 stuff a bag or $49.00 unlimited laundry. 

2. As long as you have luggage tags on the items they can be delivered to the stateroom

3. The only food that can go off the ship is the pre-packaged that you bring from home. I've even seen people having to finsh up coffee before disembarking. 

4. Lunch at both the MDR and buffet have similar items. There is also the Dive-In for good burgers and fries. 

Thank you! 

On #3, do you mean on the disembarking day or any port day? On our previous cruises with other lines, we've always been able to take breakfast items on-the-go for a quick port day start. Some lines don't have packed sandwiches though so we have to take bakery and fruits which are less convenient. 

Escargots? They may or may not be available. We did Alaska last July/August on Eurodam and they were available. Did Panama Canal (Ft. Lauderdale - Seattle) in April - May of this year and escargots were NOT on any menu. We were able to get them one night by arranging with the MDR staff in advance. I'm betting they are not being served any longer fleet wide. Hope I'm wrong.

By all means do the laundry package. You will love it!! MDR is much more civilized for lunch but does not have the wide variety you'll find in the Lido. We did anytime dining on both the voyages I've mentioned and there is no difference in quality of service. If you value getting to know your server, and your server becoming aware of your preferences then do fixed-time seating.

Have a wonderful cruise.

8 minutes ago, Baobaokitty said:

Thank you! 

On #3, do you mean on the disembarking day or any port day? On our previous cruises with other lines, we've always been able to take breakfast items on-the-go for a quick port day start. Some lines don't have packed sandwiches though so we have to take bakery and fruits which are less convenient. 

In most ports, you are not allowed to take off food, fruits, etc unless it is pre-package, vacuum sealed, hermetically sealed or whatever the correct term is 😉 

Announcements are usually made on the ship reinforcing this.  It’s not the ship’s rule, it’s the port/country you are visiting.

We have never been able to take food off on disembarkation day and we have disembarked in Fort Lauderdale, Vancouver, Sydney, Rome, Venice, Amsterdam, etc.

In some ports bringing food off will land you in jail.  I recommend you listen and follow the ship’s instructions.

2 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

People take grab and go sandwiches off the ship all the time.

Respectfully, I disagree.  Most people follow the rules, thankfully.

And some never get back on the ship since the dogs (and yes they use dogs in some ports) catch them.  Getting caught in some ports is not a small matter.

Countries are trying to protect their environment and agriculture industry.  The smallest bug introduced to them which has no predators can wreak havoc.

You have the pleasure to visit their country but do respect their rules, please.

We were on the Eurodam in May 2019 and were told that Escargot is only being served now on the longer cruises and in some specialty restaurants.   We requested escargot and the manager in the dining room came out and told us Escargot was being replaced by scallops.  We have been on 13 Holland America cruises and this was the first time we can remember escargot not being offered.  We are leaving on July 30th for the Voyage of the Vikings, anxious to see if it is on the menu on the Zuiderdam.

• Like 1

Looks like escargot on the menu is inconsistent at best.  On our 41 day cruise March 28th 2019 in the South Pacific on the Maasdam from Brisbane to San Francisco, escargot was not offered on any menu in the MDR during the full cruise.  We knew of a passenger who asked if they could get escargot served.  They were told escargot was not available on the cruise.  One night when there was nothing appetizing for the first course we asked for shrimp cocktail as a substitute and were informed they were also not available????? 

We were disappointed to see Escargot was not offered on our 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise (Koningsdam) in March.  We asked and were told the cruise before us didn’t have any either.  We assumed it was just a temporary supply issue.

No snails on my recent 21 day Maasdam cruise. It's one of my favorite things.

Food was spotty on the cruise. There were some excellent dishes, but sole on formal night appeared to be pre-chewed. Salmon appeared to be cheap farm-raised, except for the final night when I had a great salmon salad.

I can't speak to the Escargot being available for Gala Nights, but I just looked at the sample menus for the Specialty restaurants, and they are still listed for "Rudi's".  They might be available depending on weather.  

On 7/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, Baobaokitty said:

Thank you! 

freshfruit and veggies top the list of food you cannot takeoffthe ship in mostports.You may take  a  factory sealed box of cerealorfactory sealed small package of cookies  Some ports have

sniffer dogs 'smelling out' food that  people try to sneak.  Don't  do it.T he fines can very costly.  Most ports have shops where you can  buy something for your on  the run breakfast.  A much better idea than taking food off the ship.

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

Re: escargots.  Our Prinsendam cruise over Christmas 2018 had escargot on the main dining room menu.  They were also on the menu in Rudi's, but those were served in the shell and were difficult to hold with tongs on the shell and fork to remove the meat.  I gratefully accepted the waiter's offer of help.  The presentation and the method of cooking/flavor were not as good as in the MDR, in my opinion.