Port / Starboard Hallway Carpet

chabad

Silly question here. If my memory serves me correct I remember on the Ruby the hallway carpet where the cabins are, used to be two different colors to decipher if you were portside or if you were on starboard side. As one side would be blue and the other side had a strip of red. has anyone paid any attention while looking at the hallway carpet is there a way to decipher if I'm walking forward or if I'm walking atf.

Also on the the Royal class ships I feel like they did away with the different colors to decipher what side of the ship you are on. 

Yes, I know I observe the most silliest things when I'm on a cruise ship.

Seems to me that newer carpeting is the same or very similar with casual observation.  I have not looked at it that closely in recent trips.

Anyway, there are ship deck diagrams as you exit stairs and elevators that clearly indicate forward and aft.  Also, you can glean a clue as to which direction you are walking by observing if the cabin numbers are getting larger or smaller.  Finally, Port side has Even cabin numbers (note both have four characters).  If you remember that, then Starboard is Odd number cabins.  Also, Port has an even number of letters, while Starboard has an odd number of letters.

Not exactly the answer you wanted so far, but other tips and clues to help you get going in the right direction if ever confused.

Edited by steelers36

On most ships, but not all, the elevator doors face forward.  Coral and Sapphire are two exceptions that come to mind, there are likely others, though.

There is a new carpet design where the obvious pink or blue background has been changed to a subtle three dots of muted teal and rose.  I know a much earlier thread had pictures.

Most recently the carpets are the same on both sides.

Port side has even cabin numbers.

Starboard side has odd. 

Look at the wall picture when exiting the elevators. Use that as a reference. 

Lower numbers are forward with higher numbers aft. Numbers are in sections, 100's, 200's and so on back to the 700's. The sections are the different service and safety sections of the ship of the ship. Each section has fire doors in the hallway walls which will close in case of a fire. 

6 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

On most ships, but not all, the elevator doors face forward.  Coral and Sapphire are two exceptions that come to mind, there are likely others, though.

There is a new carpet design where the obvious pink or blue background has been changed to a subtle three dots of muted teal and rose.  I know a much earlier thread had pictures.

unfortunately the direction of the elevators on how they open doesn't work for the atrium area. But I do agree I remember the Ruby as well having two different shades of trim whether it was blue or red to decipher if you were port or starboard. on the newer ships I believe they have just gone with the same carpeting on either side did away with the colors. I know on the gold and they use like a circular pattern. 

Thanks guys. Yes I know about the even and odd numbers to decipher what side your are on as well as the signage pointing to which was aft or forward. Just a random observation of carpeting. Seems like you have all said, they have done away with the color differentiation. 

1 hour ago, chabad said:

Silly question here. If my memory serves me correct I remember on the Ruby the hallway carpet where the cabins are, used to be two different colors to decipher if you were portside or if you were on starboard side. As one side would be blue and the other side had a strip of red. has anyone paid any attention while looking at the hallway carpet is there a way to decipher if I'm walking forward or if I'm walking atf.

Also on the the Royal class ships I feel like they did away with the different colors to decipher what side of the ship you are on. 

Yes, I know I observe the most silliest things when I'm on a cruise ship.

The Grand has changed to same carpet on both sides. My Mom loved the different carpet as it helped her navigation( she cruised till she was 94). The hit or miss LED screens on the Grand can be quite confusing. The old wall plaques gave you a quick picture of fore and aft. Hopefully when they complete the job it will be less confusing.