St. Thomas

dulcemariamar

Can I have some help with this port. I will be on Carnival Breeze next month and I was wondering what is in walking distance from the port?

I wanted to stop at the pirates museum and maybe even the children's museum. Can I get there by walking? Does anyone have a link to a good map?

18 minutes ago, dulcemariamar said:

Can I have some help with this port. I will be on Carnival Breeze next month and I was wondering what is in walking distance from the port?

I wanted to stop at the pirates museum and maybe even the children's museum. Can I get there by walking? Does anyone have a link to a good map?

Here's the best place on cruise critic to ask St Thomas questions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/82-st-thomasst-john/

• Like 1

The pirate museum is in Havensite, so yes walking distance. We love the pirate shop on Waterfront, selling real pirate antiques. Waterfront is a half mile from Havensite. You can hop on a $2 Safari bus if you don't want to walk. 

I'll be there too - I'm on the August 17th sailing.

Immediately upon getting off the ship is the Havensight Mall... a mishmash of the usual port stuff.  Trinkets, cheap liquor, clothing, Diamonds International and Del Sol, etc.  Across the street is the gondola/cable car, which goes up to a small area at the top of the mountain with a beautiful view, a bar/restaurant and a few more shops.  You can buy tickets on the ship or by just walking up.  I don't know if there's a price difference between the two.  Sunsets are amazing from here, but sunset is going to be around 6:30-6:45 and sailaway is at 7pm.

The main non-port shopping area of Charlotte Amalie is a 30 minute walk along the waterline.  There you'll find more shops, restaurants, bars, and there's a flea market there (more trinkets).

We went to St. Thomas this summer. Our goal was to end up at a great beach. We took a taxi/van with others to Magen's Bay. The water and scenery were beautiful. Ride back in was easy enough in a readily available open air bus. However, the rental aspect was off-putting----deposits, carry your own chairs/umbrella unless you want to tip extra, bring it all back yourself etc. Next time we'll try Coki beach. I know this wasn't your original ask, but we read so many people raving about MB that I wanted to share just in case you decided to go there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

However, the rental aspect was off-putting----deposits, carry your own chairs/umbrella unless you want to tip extra, bring it all back yourself etc. Next time we'll try Coki beach. I know this wasn't your original ask, but we read so many people raving about MB that I wanted to share just in case you decided to go there. 

What you do is re-rent your chair and umbrella to someone arriving later.  I forget the exact rates, but if you put down a $10 deposit and pay a $10 rental fee, charge the next person $15, give them your receipt and let them collect the return deposit.  That way both of you only pay $5 for rental.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you stand at the side of the road and wave at them. They may or may not stop. Quite honestly, they are licensed taxis, but run this route like a bus. If you look like a tourist, they may try to charge you more. Ask the driver before you get on if it is the dollar ride.