Beverage package question/comment

Sujormik

Don’t think I’ve seen this in prior threads, if I missed it I apologize. 

Random thought about Indulgence package: was I supposed to keep a personal copy of the entire package listing from the website (I.e., the terms and inclusions I contracted for)? 

Just now, as I was looking for the name of the scotch I enjoyed on board, (Balvenie triple cask, wow who knew scotch could taste good?!) I rediscovered the whole list of drinks that were NOT mentioned on the menu sheets in the bars. For example, the Port options listed in the bar menu all had prices attached without the “u” indicating they were included in our package. Did I have to ask for the specific Port named on the Azamara website? I love Port and would’ve had one every night but for the fact I felt like I’d paid for Indulgence and didn’t want to pay more.  Never saw Evian listed as a menu option anywhere, yet was supposedly included. Would’ve loved one bottle in our cabin each night. There were some wines listed on the website we were never made aware of, we only ever had the wine of the night, yet I happen to really like viognier and would've preferred that to many of the nightly options offered. I know I saw this when we decided to enroll in this ultimate package but did not remember the specifics, just kinda figured there would be a list. A disclosure if you will.

I feel taken advantage of. Yes, i feel like this is another of those things you have to “search” for instead of them simply telling you. I feel really sucker punched in fact.  Stupid for some liquor, maybe, but I paid for that and then didn’t get what I paid for.  

Is this his typical of all cruise lines? My fault for not researching better? Should my TA have been aware of this?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I’m sorry you are upset. I will share your post with our Hotel Management. And If you’ll tell me the ship and sail date I will share this with the appropriate F&B Manager as well. 

Thank you Bonnie. We were on Quest Alaska July 20-30 with full Indulgence package. IS this something I should’ve known to keep track of? You may have seen that our land package bus was among the last to arrive to board at Seward and maybe this info was covered in the newbie session that we missed?  That might just add insult to injury.

I also had the Ultimate Bev package. I did take a look before the cruise on what was offered and knew some of my preferred wines and brands listed. A few bartenders also showed me a list of the Ultimate wines, which really were not many.If I wanted a mixed drink I would ask the bartender what better brand I could select from. I feel that otherwise I did not take advantage of what I could as I did not know any better. Maybe a list given would be a good idea. 

I also found on one ship bartenders did not remember when making up orders from waiters that you’d ordered from the ultimate package. More than once the gin had to go back as they’d just used the Gordon’s. 

We are on the Journey on Aug. 17th.  Given all of your comments I have printed off a list of the Premium and Ultimate packages to take with us in our cruise documents.  My DH is very particular about his scotch and bourbon so I have the list if there is any question.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

The beverage menus at the various bars, lounges, etc have the “premium” beverages in a column with a “p” and the ultimate beverages in a column with a “u.”  The beverages that are available to all without having a beverage package are on the last page of the menu.

The premium package, only $5 per day less than the ultimate package, offers very limited selections.  It is frustrating if one’s early booking benefits include the premium package as an included benefit.  In this respect, Azamara finds itself in a strange place between the luxury all-inclusive lines and the mainstream “you can have a lime in your water for an extra dollar” lines.  At Azamara’s price point, which is now closer to a luxury line, it seems petty and unproductive to have a “premium” package that is so limited compared to the “ultimate.”  It is hard to understand why Azamara would want to leave those who have the premium package as part of their booking benefits with a feeling of disappointment or a need to make another “should I or shouldn’t I” decision.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 11:25 AM, Sujormik said:

Don’t think I’ve seen this in prior threads, if I missed it I apologize. 

Random thought about Indulgence package: was I supposed to keep a personal copy of the entire package listing from the website (I.e., the terms and inclusions I contracted for)? 

Just now, as I was looking for the name of the scotch I enjoyed on board, (Balvenie triple cask, wow who knew scotch could taste good?!) I rediscovered the whole list of drinks that were NOT mentioned on the menu sheets in the bars. For example, the Port options listed in the bar menu all had prices attached without the “u” indicating they were included in our package. Did I have to ask for the specific Port named on the Azamara website? I love Port and would’ve had one every night but for the fact I felt like I’d paid for Indulgence and didn’t want to pay more.  Never saw Evian listed as a menu option anywhere, yet was supposedly included. Would’ve loved one bottle in our cabin each night. There were some wines listed on the website we were never made aware of, we only ever had the wine of the night, yet I happen to really like viognier and would've preferred that to many of the nightly options offered. I know I saw this when we decided to enroll in this ultimate package but did not remember the specifics, just kinda figured there would be a list. A disclosure if you will.

I feel taken advantage of. Yes, i feel like this is another of those things you have to “search” for instead of them simply telling you. I feel really sucker punched in fact.  Stupid for some liquor, maybe, but I paid for that and then didn’t get what I paid for.  

Is this his typical of all cruise lines? My fault for not researching better? Should my TA have been aware of this?

Thank you for posting this interesting information Sujormik! Now that we know these lists are not readily available, we will be sure to ask, something we SHOULD NOT have to do. We are newbies to Azamara so not familiar with any of these “secrets” ...”faux-pas”. 

Disappointing!!!

Edited by Fighterone

8 minutes ago, Fighterone said:

Thank you for posting this interesting information Sujormik! Now that we know these lists are not readily available, we will be sure to ask, something we SHOULD NOT have to do. We are newbies to Azamara so not familiar with any of these “secrets” ...”faux-pas”. 

Disappointing!!!

We were newbies too.  Other than the land package snafu and this unexpected after-the-fact drinks thing, we genuinely LOVED Azamara. And the people we met truly changed the vacation for us (in a good way lol). We set up a google docs page so all our pictures can be shared! I hope you have a wonderful trip wherever you’re headed.

They do hand out a sheet at the start when you buy the package, but I've never kept a copy as my needs are fairly straightforward. I think the beverages onboard with the various packages have become a bit like Azamara cruise pricing. Complicated to work out. For me I will always go for the Ultimate and pay the extra over the basic package. It's a lot more flexible. 

Phil 

• Like 1

When I looked at the prices that Azamara charges for their drink packages I thought that they were very reasonable.  When we were on AZ the last time I don't remember any kind of drink package.  Wine and beer were included with lunch and dinner and everything else was a la carte.  That being said, it was also in the days when going to a specialty restaurant cost $5.00/pp.  Since then we have been on Oceania several times, where the drink packages are $39.95 for wine and beer, and $59.95 for a full alcohol package. We also have been on Regent a number of times where everything is included, but the price is steep on the front end.  Given that Oceania is supposed to be AZ's direct competitor, I think the ultimate package price is very fair.  I just hope AZ doesn't decide to increase the price.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lady's Mom said:

When I looked at the prices that Azamara charges for their drink packages I thought that they were very reasonable.  When we were on AZ the last time I don't remember any kind of drink package.  Wine and beer were included with lunch and dinner and everything else was a la carte.  That being said, it was also in the days when going to a specialty restaurant cost $5.00/pp.  Since then we have been on Oceania several times, where the drink packages are $39.95 for wine and beer, and $59.95 for a full alcohol package. We also have been on Regent a number of times where everything is included, but the price is steep on the front end.  Given that Oceania is supposed to be AZ's direct competitor, I think the ultimate package price is very fair.  I just hope AZ doesn't decide to increase the price.

Not forgetting you get a reasonable range of spirits, beers and wines included on Azamara with no extra charge.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising