Time lines for touring NYC?

21 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Yeah, there are others I’m looking at now. ..Brooklyn’s Diner, Nora’s, Tic Toc, Red Flame... They are all so flippin’ Expensive though. 

Brooklyn Diner is also kind of a tourist place. More expensive than the rest, but it has the "look" of an old fashioned diner.  Ya is gonna pay for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Brooklyn Diner is also kind of a tourist place. More expensive than the rest, but it has the "look" of an old fashioned diner.  Ya is gonna pay for that.

Truth!  But their food really does look really, really good!  Especially the Tony Bennett French Toast!

9C330913-97A7-4265-A622-32D2B785A54B.png

3863059D-193E-4140-AA36-47C8FB778A1F.png

5CB2B2A4-8DE2-4EBF-8F00-996A78742D83.png

2F41C1A1-3556-418C-9EF9-45A4A291B879.png

FE2DFA88-D550-415D-852E-D4F96472CE21.png

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Second this. If thats what you're going for-- then all means. But if you wanted a true diner experience like the one you found in Jersey City, the others are the way to go. 

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Second this. If thats what you're going for-- then all means. But if you wanted a true diner experience like the one you found in Jersey City, the others are the way to go. 

I want crazy, ridiculously over the top, fabulous breakfast food!  The type of thing I would never order if I weren’t on vacation. 

Seeing all the pictures back to back, Norma’s might look even better. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

11 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Seeing all the pictures back to back, Norma’s might look even better. 

Norma's is one of the best. Its over the top, but it has quality that none of the touristy places you mentioned do. When I lived in NYC I would go to Norma's because it is that good. 

After discussing many possible tourist sites to visit on our one full day in NYC , we have finally thought we had the perfect plan, only to realize I totally spaced waiting on luggage at the airport.  So now we have 3 possibilities.  Please critique time lines for any flaws.  I would also like to apologize for the numerous threads I started while we tried to figure out our priorities.  Speaking of Priorities, our top two priorities are Central Park and a Statue Cruise.  Other things we would like to do if time permitting is the Walking food tour (Nolita and Little Italy-Greenwich Village) and the 9-11 Memorial.  I also want to have pancakes at the Brownstone Diner sometime while we are there.  Option I A would be perfect if the Residence Inn would allow us to eat our free breakfast on Saturday instead of Sunday, as we could fit in everything we want and not feel rushed with the schedule.

I've only read this much of your post and I already have agita .... high anxiety ... the shakes ... it's already too much.  WOW ... I DO understand that people want to see & do NYC in 1 day but dang ... it just can't be done.  It takes time to get to the New World Observatory. It takes time to get the ferry for the Statue photos.  It takes a lot of time getting to & from different places.  And then time doing each in those different places. 

12 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Make a reservation-- you can't usually just walk in there. 

Done!  Thanks so much for the tip!  8AM, which gives us plenty of time to eat, walk back to our hotel, check-out, and wait for an Uber to take us to the Cape Liberty. Maybe we will do one of the other Diners you mentioned Saturday after we go to our hotel to drop our luggage off. 

10 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

After discussing many possible tourist sites to visit on our one full day in NYC , we have finally thought we had the perfect plan, only to realize I totally spaced waiting on luggage at the airport.  So now we have 3 possibilities.  Please critique time lines for any flaws.  I would also like to apologize for the numerous threads I started while we tried to figure out our priorities.  Speaking of Priorities, our top two priorities are Central Park and a Statue Cruise.  Other things we would like to do if time permitting is the Walking food tour (Nolita and Little Italy-Greenwich Village) and the 9-11 Memorial.  I also want to have pancakes at the Brownstone Diner sometime while we are there.  Option I A would be perfect if the Residence Inn would allow us to eat our free breakfast on Saturday instead of Sunday, as we could fit in everything we want and not feel rushed with the schedule.

I've only read this much of your post and I already have agita .... high anxiety ... the shakes ... it's already too much.  WOW ... I DO understand that people want to see & do NYC in 1 day but dang ... it just can't be done.  It takes time to get to the New World Observatory. It takes time to get the ferry for the Statue photos.  It takes a lot of time getting to & from different places.  And then time doing each in those different places. 

If you would have continued on, you would see we have modified our plans. We are now staying in midtown so we should have plenty of time to see Central Park, go to Top of the Rock, and still make our sunset cruise to see the SOL. 😌

3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Done!  Thanks so much for the tip!  8AM, which gives us plenty of time to eat, walk back to our hotel, check-out, and wait for an Uber to take us to the Cape Liberty.

Will make for a wonderful start to the trip. One of our favorite places to eat breakfast in NYC and Palm Springs (there are two of them). 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Ugh!  We haven’t flown for many years. How long does it typically take to retrieve luggage?

Thats why I was hoping the hotel would let us grab a little food there.  They have a free breakfast buffet sitting out.  We wouldn’t have to wait for someone to cook something or waste time going anywhere before heading to Greenwich Village. We could grab a bagel or something and take it with us. We will be leaving home at 4:30 am, I’m sure we will be starving by the time we get there. 

So you think we need to eliminate the food tour?  It sounded cool but isn’t mandatory. 

You are not likely going to be able to eat the breakfast buffet.  Your day IN that hotel does not start until 3pm check in time.  You can arrive any time you want, it does NOT mean you are going to check in at 9am ... 

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If you would have continued on, you would see we have modified our plans. We are now staying in midtown so we should have plenty of time to see Central Park, go to Top of the Rock, and still make our sunset cruise to see the SOL. 😌

Nothing changes what I said .... It is still crazy too much to try and do in 1 day.  But enjoy your stress filled run through NYC.  

22 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Nothing changes what I said .... It is still crazy too much to try and do in 1 day.  But enjoy your stress filled run through NYC.  

Maybe it would be for you, but not for us.  A ten minute walk to Top of the Rock (if the line is too long, we will leave), stopping along the way for breakfast, then walk over to Central Park for a couple of hours.  Next we will take the subway to Chelsea and grab a quick dinner (maybe Los Tacos #1) before heading to the Pier for our Sunset Cruise.  If we don't have time to eat, they have food options available on the cruise.  I enjoy staying busy, the only stressful part will be the flight, but my doctor has already prescribed a chill pill for that.  If our plane is delayed, we will skip Top of the Rock and just do CP and the sunset cruise.  We are playing it by ear after the cruise.  If we're tired we will go back to our hotel and call it a night, otherwise we will do something afterwards...walk around Times Square, Empire State Building, or maybe even head down the the 9-11 Memorial.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Will make for a wonderful start to the trip. One of our favorite places to eat breakfast in NYC and Palm Springs (there are two of them). 

I'm looking forward to it!  Now to decide what to order!!  lol  I have warned dh how expensive it is so he won't flip out when he sees the menu.  😂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Maybe it would be for you, but not for us.  A ten minute walk to Top of the Rock (if the line is too long, we will leave), stopping along the way for breakfast, then walk over to Central Park for a couple of hours.  Next we will take the subway to Chelsea and grab a quick dinner (maybe Los Tacos #1) before heading to the Pier for our Sunset Cruise.  If we don't have time to eat, they have food options available on the cruise.  I enjoy staying busy, the only stressful part will be the flight, but my doctor has already prescribed a chill pill for that.  If our plane is delayed, we will skip Top of the Rock and just do CP and the sunset cruise.  We are playing it by ear after the cruise.  If we're tired we will go back to our hotel and call it a night, otherwise we will do something afterwards...walk around Times Square, Empire State Building, or maybe even head down the the 9-11 Memorial.  

With 2-3 stops, and only one hard time, you should be fine. The 9-11 Memorial is probably out as I think they close the grounds at 9:00 p.m., but Times Square is ALWAYS open. And don't worry, you'll still be busy, but this version is manageable.

16 minutes ago, markeb said:

With 2-3 stops, and only one hard time, you should be fine. The 9-11 Memorial is probably out as I think they close the grounds at 9:00 p.m., but Times Square is ALWAYS open. And don't worry, you'll still be busy, but this version is manageable.

Yes, you are correct. I don’t know what I was thinking. Chances are, since we will be getting up at 3 AM we will be ready to go to bed after our sunset cruise, but you never know when you are having fun!  I’ve heard the Empire State Building view’s are pretty spectacular after dark. I just don’t know how busy they would be. We’ve even talked about doing something Sunday before heading to the port if we couldn’t get it all in on Saturday (perhaps if it rains). I like to get to the Port early though so we shall see. No hard timetable on Sunday morning. 

I found a walking food tour that doesn’t start until 12:30. It’s Hell’s Kitchen and optional Central Park after. I think we would do both if we decide to go this way. The tour would be from 12:30-4:30, which would give us 2 hours to make it to our sunset cruise. I just don’t know how we would spend our morning. I doubt we would have time to go to Top of the Rock, which isn’t a big deal. Maybe drink some coffee, have a light breakfast, and hope for an early check-in.  

I am shocked that no one mentioned Barney Greengrass.  If you are looking for a place that exists in NYC and not elsewhere, where locals eat, you should look into this place.  Ellen's is cute, but it is all tourists all the time.  If you want to go to a Brooklyn Diner, go to a diner in Brooklyn.