Cunard food vs Princess

oskidunker

On 8/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We sailed both QM2 and Princess in the last 13 months. QM2 had more formal service and Princess more relaxed friendly service. Both were great just different styles. 

QM2 did not have chicken every night like Princess and since I eat very little red meat I was really missing my poultry by the end of 14 days. 

QM2 had hands down the best fish and chips I’ve ever tasted (I’ve eaten a lot of fish and chips). They serve it in the golden lion pub. It puts Princess’ pub lunch to shame. I’m sailing QM2 for another 21 days summer 2020 and I will eat lunch every day in the golden lion pub. 

I think the food on both lines is just fine. I would not choose one or the other for the food. 

46C9BDB8-2EF1-4D48-952A-7D57565532B0.jpeg

That looks good!  😎

On 8/2/2019 at 2:58 PM, Griller said:

After 77 Princess cruises we just cruised 14 days on Cunard QM2 debarking last week so we are probably well qualified to give an opinion on this topic.

We were in the lowest / third class  / steerage dining room, Britannia, and found the waiters to give better service than on our last cruises on Princess ships, probably because they didn't have so many diners to look after.

However they were not as friendly and communicative, and never once called us by name.

The meals in that MDR were not much different to Princess but were definitely using better quality meat and other ingredients.

In the Kings Court  buffet the food was way better than Princess , quality was better, presentation was better, and quantities out on the line  were smaller meaning it hadn't been sitting there for hours stewing or getting dried up like it does on Princess. As soon as an item was used up the chefs  had another ready.

And they don't cut the sausages up into little bits or store food in hot water like on Princess.

There was more variety including many British oriented items which are not found out on the line on Princess, like crumpets, kippers, and other breakfast items,  savory pies and puddings ( in the British sense) at lunchtime, and very good dinner offerings.

The buffet on QM2 really doesn't feel like a factory canteen like it does on many Princess ships.

And quite simply the food is better quality, right down to the yogurts at breakfast which were made from whole milk and fruit and not cheap zero fat milk and full of sugar and thickeners.

The butter is Irish wrapped portions, the jams are in little pots, there are diabetic and gluten free choices out on the line,  and at tea time the scones are beautiful, not little crumbling rock hard ones like on Princess. And you get proper cream with them.

Even the smoked salmon / lox tasted better than on Princess. And the cheese selection as to die for.

In fact we did not pay any more for our cruise on QM2 than we would have for a similar one on Princess but I am sure the average cost per day is normally more, and I think its worth it, they are spending some of it on better food rather than the cheapest they can get like Princess often seem to.

We are back on Princess for 25 days soon, we may be feeling a little less happy after our Cunard cruise.

If anyone wants photos let me know your email,  I have many photos from the buffet but too many to put on here even if I could work out how to do it.

Did they have Haggis, or blood sausage on the dining room breakfast menu.  Or at the Buffett?

On 8/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We sailed both QM2 and Princess in the last 13 months. QM2 had more formal service and Princess more relaxed friendly service. Both were great just different styles. 

QM2 did not have chicken every night like Princess and since I eat very little red meat I was really missing my poultry by the end of 14 days. 

QM2 had hands down the best fish and chips I’ve ever tasted (I’ve eaten a lot of fish and chips). They serve it in the golden lion pub. It puts Princess’ pub lunch to shame. I’m sailing QM2 for another 21 days summer 2020 and I will eat lunch every day in the golden lion pub. 

I think the food on both lines is just fine. I would not choose one or the other for the food. 

46C9BDB8-2EF1-4D48-952A-7D57565532B0.jpeg

Is the fish in fish and chips,  made fresh or frozen?  What kind of fish is used for the fish and chips?’

Is there Steak and Kidney Pie on the menu?

Is Haggis, neeps, and tatties on the menu?

Is Guinness available. On draft not in a can.

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 8/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, Griller said:

Some other QM2 buffet choices, the cheeses in particular  were varied and wonderful, two on       the upper left are Wensleydale with ginger and mango, and Wensleydale with cranberry. These are expensive cheeses to buy!

The Brie was just ready to eat, not hard and unripe.

a small cheese.jpg

a small cold cuts.jpg

a small desserts.jpg

Oooooh dessert!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:24 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Is the fish in fish and chips,  made fresh or frozen?  What kind of fish is used for the fish and chips?’

Is there Steak and Kidney Pie on the menu?

Is Haggis, neeps, and tatties on the menu?

Is Guinness available. On draft not in a can.

Thanks.

From what I see in the photograph it certainly looks like factory frozen fish and chips.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:20 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Did they have Haggis, or blood sausage on the dining room breakfast menu.  Or at the Buffett?

No haggis that I saw at all ,but there was black pudding for breakfast in QM2 dining room  and buffet, however it was grilled and not prepared the proper way by frying - but on request they would fry it to its full black crispy deliciousness. It is not called blood sausage in British English. Boudin Noir in French and Morcilla in Spanish but they are a bit different to the British Isles versions.

I have had black pudding in the buffet on Pacific Princess at times.

The kippers for breakfast were also good.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:17 PM, oskidunker said:

There is a trip next year I like in Canada. Cruise donly Princess for 20 years. looking for a change, better dressed people and a place to sit in the room.

Thanks

I hope you have a great cruise.

Tony

I have just completed a cruise on Regal Princess and would rate the food as excellent. My granddaughter, who had never eaten at a buffet before loved it. We ate there every day for lunch. It was above average as far as buffets go. MDR Club class was excellent. As was breakfast in Sabatinis every morning. We had a Suite to get this benefit. 

I have  only ever ever done Queens Grill on Cunard. But the food is as one would expect, excellent. The Queens Grill menu is essentially the same as MDR but a few higher end dishes are on offering as extras. Did not eat buffet on Cunard, since QG offers all three meals with never a wait. Almost like a private dining room. One gets to know the staff really well. 

The above being said, I wouldn’t say that there is a big leap from Regal Princess food to QG as far as quality or presentation.  With QG one can pretty much order what one wants with advanced notice and if they have the ingredients you can have it. 

I've cruised on both - food is comparable in the main dining rooms but I prefer Princess buffet over Cunard. Cunard buffet food tasted bland. Cunard was fine and I enjoyed myself but I prefer a more relaxed, casual atmosphere on Princess.

We are just off 10 days on the Grand Princess and sailed 12 days on Queen Mary 2 in December and January.  I think that overall the food is fairly comparable.  We enjoyed some smash hits and few misses on both lines.  Generally speaking, the service on Cunard is more formal and less friendly.  That isn't a fault, it is by design.  However, we have found on both of Cunard cruises that the dining room staff is there to provide excellent service, not excellent conversation.  Cunard tends to employ fancier descriptions of their dishes, preferring a fair amount of French description as compared to a preference for simpler,  English based terminology on Princess.

Both lines offer a broad selection of entree choices in the main dining room, anywhere from 8-10 choices on any given night.  We found that while we strongly prefer sit-down service in the dining room, the buffets on both lines are also very good.  Queen Mary 2 does have a far superior physical buffet layout compared to the Princess Grand Class ships, but on par with what you would find on the new Royal Class ships. 

I do not think I could easily choose one or the other as superior or my personal favorite.  Rather, I would say that both offer excellent food, served by professional staffs in very pleasant surroundings.  Each individuals preferences and delights will vary depending on the menu, the day and their personal preferences.   I will say that if you are happy on either line, you are likely to find the other to also be pleasing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

I have just completed a cruise on Regal Princess and would rate the food as excellent. My granddaughter, who had never eaten at a buffet before loved it. We ate there every day for lunch. It was above average as far as buffets go. MDR Club class was excellent. As was breakfast in Sabatinis every morning. We had a Suite to get this benefit. 

I have  only ever ever done Queens Grill on Cunard. But the food is as one would expect, excellent. The Queens Grill menu is essentially the same as MDR but a few higher end dishes are on offering as extras. Did not eat buffet on Cunard, since QG offers all three meals with never a wait. Almost like a private dining room. One gets to know the staff really well. 

The above being said, I wouldn’t say that there is a big leap from Regal Princess food to QG as far as quality or presentation.  With QG one can pretty much order what one wants with advanced notice and if they have the ingredients you can have it. 

I’ll quote myself so I can edit. 

I’ve been on four Princess ships, and each one had different chefs.  And the quality of preparation also differed.  Regal Princess last July was best.  The other ships were a step down, a large one in one case. I’m not naming names because for all I know, the chefs have moved on elsewhere for whatever reason. My point is that while none of the food was bad, the Regal was certainly a cut above the others. We must remember that the menus are dictated in large part from a corporate HQ.  But QC and the skill of the chef and his management can be the difference between good and excellence. 

It’s likely Cunard is the same variation in quality among ships, albeit there are only three ships. Im going on a Cunard cruise this October and will update then. QG again. So probably won’t do buffet. 

I completely agree with the above post about variable quality by ship.  My CB cruise had the worst food I've ever had on Princess;  my cruise on the Grand in December was among the best as was the Crown the year before.  Yes, the Crown  on a prior cruise was good but not great.  It's just a crap shoot depending on the chef.   I don't recall Cunard having as much fish as does Princess, which is what I missed most. 

I am getting to prefer the more formal wait style on Cunard.  I found on the CB that the staff, while uniformly excellent, was over-familiar.  I didn't care for being called by my first name; I didn't care for bar waiters who would crouch down by my chair for extended conversations, and I was horrified that my dining room waiters went in for hugs on the last night.  I don't even hug family members and friends except in extreme circumstances!  I blame this on the Medallion, of course [only slightly being tongue-in-cheek there].  The Cunard staff are not American-style friendly, but as you get to know them each night at dinner,  they warm up.  And I was addressed by title and last name every night at dinner on the QM2.   

Plus, the QM2 is probably the most beautiful ship I've ever sailed on.  And a famous actress was onboard and played on my trivia team.  That was pretty cool . . .  

• Like 1

I cannot comment on bar waiters as we don't buy drinks but we were just on QM2 for 2 weeks and not once was I called by title or  name, either by wait staff or cabin steward. Not that I have an actual  title, not a Lord or Duke or anything.

We were of course in Cattle Class in the Brittannia dining room,  maybe you were in an upper class one?

They never warmed up to us that's mostly why after a week we started going to the buffet, which was excellent.

The QM2 is certainly unique inside, an amazing ship. Nicely fitted out.

I just wish they didn't have so many references to the Titanic all over the place. Kind of depressing.

Anyway we will be back on QM2  in January, then straight onto  Queen Vic. Then Sky Princess. All good in their way.

Next month its Crown Princess for 25 days which several years ago we vowed never to sail on again after consistently the worst food we ever had on a cruise ship but there was such a cheap per diem we were tempted, and surely there must be different crew by now?

Cunard vs Princess , FOOD./\.

As it so personal as well subjective..

We have had many years , decades of both. Before each being taken over by CCL :NYSE/LSE CUK :NYSE

Having the same HQ in California for both , sharing services etc..

Each does provide us paying cruisers with such an array of items too. Most delicious.

EG: Yorkshire pudding is great on each .