balcony or OV M class ships

Laurab23

@laurab23

I had another poster put this website up and I found it incredibly helpful; it talks about room sizes and also provides pictures and layouts: https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/index.php.

My first cruise in Feb 2018 (Celebrity Reflection) was in a balcony cabin and after that experience, I can't imagine going to a room where you can't open the door to your own private patio! 😄 I just really loved being able to find some peace and quiet out there in the mornings, having coffee, hanging up wet clothes (haha), watching the sunset. I know some people spend very little time in their cabins so for them, an OV would probably be just fine. I liked the availability of the privacy outside without having to fight over a deck chair or whatever. We're heading off to the Celebrity Infinity in October and have booked a veranda cabin. This will be my husband's first cruise and I think he's going to love it.

Hope whichever you choose, you have a great cruise!

I've done both and each one is fine. I really don't spend much time in my room so it really doesn't matter to me. The rooms are the same size so I pretty much base it on price I'm willing to pay (especially when going solo). If the prices are relatively close I'd go for a balcony but if saving a bunch I'd do an OV (try to get on Deck 3 toward the Aft stairs, those have a nice big porthole so allows a lot of light into the room.

We normally take Aqua Class but our last cruise on the Millenium I was able to get a group rate on a OV Deck 3 Cabin 3108 and loved it. We went with the ocean view for three reason...we spend very little time on the balcony, the price was $1,200.00 less than the cheapest balcony stateroom and the deck 3 location was excellent for us. 

I love having a balcony.  Sitting out there in the morning with my coffee,  reading or doing a puzzle whole my wife is still sleeping. My wife on the other hand gets a bit of vertigo with heights so doesn't go out on the balcony beyond the door,  unless we have a large aft balcony. 

I will usually consider either as more often than not the actual room size is almost identical with the difference being the balcony sq footage.  As long as the price difference is only a couple of hundred dollars for 7 or more days it is worth it to me. 

To us it depends on the itinerary and number of sea days.  If you go for the OV, suggest cabins 3112-3144 (more forward are better) and 3115-3127 on Connie.  Not sure if these cabins were added during Summit/Millenium revolution.  These cabins were added within the past five or so years and feature very large windows.

10 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

To us it depends on the itinerary and number of sea days.

In my opinion, this is key: Itinerary! 

Also, take in consideration possible/probable weather/sea condition for the area.

On our Transpacific cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver in May. During the 5 day crossing of the ocean, we encountered somewhat rough seas (13-15 feet waves), windy conditions and rain. Our balcony was useless for the most part, so we ended up paying to much for nothing.

During our Alaska Cruise, we were upgraded from OV to AQ. Despite cool weather, the protected area of the Inside  Passage, provided very calm seas and we used our balcony quite a bit, to watch sceneries and marine life passing by. The balcony on that cruise, especially watching Hubbard Glacier was a plus! 

57 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

To us it depends on the itinerary and number of sea days.  If you go for the OV, suggest cabins 3112-3144 (more forward are better) and 3115-3127 on Connie.  Not sure if these cabins were added during Summit/Millenium revolution.  These cabins were added within the past five or so years and feature very large windows.

Yes, these cabins were added to Millennium and Summit. We were in 3119 and really liked the location and the huge window. Since OV and regular veranda are exactly the same except for the balcony, it comes down to the price difference and how much you think you'll really use the balcony (not as useful on port intensive or cooler weather cruises, IMHO)

1 hour ago, keep on cruisin said:

My wife on the other hand gets a bit of vertigo with heights so doesn't go out on the balcony beyond the door,  unless we have a large aft balcony. 

Vertigo does not have anything to do with heights , it is an inner ear problem 

i am up and ladder, all the time .

I get vertigo atleast once a week and usually when Igo to lay down in bed and move my head to fast 

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/vertigo

Fear of heights

The term vertigo is often incorrectly used to describe a fear of heights. The medical term for a fear of heights and the dizzy feeling associated with looking down from a high place is "acrophobia".

2 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

Just got off Millennium.  Since they added the 7 new staterooms on the Port side, they closed off the entrance to the Tuscan Grill.  From Deck 3, you now have to go down the passageway where 3112-3114 is located to get there.  3115-3127 are real gems, with 3115-3117-3119 the best of the lot as the others have service closets across from them.  They are probably still quite, but just to let you know. 🍷

31 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Just got off Millennium.  Since they added the 7 new staterooms on the Port side, they closed off the entrance to the Tuscan Grill.  From Deck 3, you now have to go down the passageway where 3112-3114 is located to get there.  3115-3127 are real gems, with 3115-3117-3119 the best of the lot as the others have service closets across from them.  They are probably still quite, but just to let you know. 🍷

Great current info.  Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies. As it ended up,another person is joining the two of us so we are able to get a family veranda. A lot more money but the extra space will be nice with 3 adults.

Laura