Least Favorite Port and Why

Thad409

On 8/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, hotsauce126 said:

Freeport and its not even close

I like ports that either 

A - have a lot of active things to do (any mountainous island usually)

B - have a unique culture (like Jamaica or Mexico)

C - Have an easily walkable city (like San Juan)

Freeport doesn't really have any of these things. Just tourist garbage at the port and a Senor Frogs. I know they have a couple decent excursions but I'm not really one for sitting on the beach since I can do that at home

And the beaches there are unremarkable, at best.

Progresso, Mexico was the only port we have detested.  Took the long bus ride down the miles long pier where water was beautiful turquoise.  As we approached the land water became brown within 100 yards of the shore and the smell was horrible.  Was planning to relax on the beach but no way!  Got children’s hair braided then promptly went back to the ship.  Will never take a cruise that does this port.  Have been on over 30 cruises and loved all of the other ports we’ve been to, sometimes finding unusual things to do.

There are some who will say they won't visit country "X" because they don't agree with country X's political system or record of treatment of minority Y or gender Z. Totally their choice, and if they feel strongly about it, they should act on it.

When I travel, I try to separate my feelings about a particular government from those of the people who live, work, have families and raise children, etc. in that country. Often they may not agree with their country's policies but have little choice/voice/chance of making a change. However, tourism can make a big difference to their quality of life. Additionally, I often feel that I can help dispel some crazy ideas/myths/propaganda about Americans just by casual conversations with people from other countries -- and the same is true in reverse, of course.

In short, the economic "hurt" inflicted by my few puny travel dollars probably provides little impetus for change; however, my 'people-to-people' travel results in a better understanding on both sides that I think is valuable. 

Either way, people should be allowed to make up their own minds. What I really dislike is my government telling me I can't go somewhere strictly because THEY want to use it as a means of control/bully stick. (I'm not talking about issues of safety....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Either way, people should be allowed to make up their own minds. What I really dislike is my government telling me I can't go somewhere strictly because THEY want to use it as a means of control/bully stick. (I'm not talking about issues of safety....)

I get annoyed when a foreign government penalizes you for visiting a country they aren't on friendly terms with. Harassing tourists because two governments are having a fight is just petty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I get annoyed when a foreign government penalizes you for visiting a country they aren't on friendly terms with. Harassing tourists because two governments are having a fight is just petty.

Are there specific countries that you're thinking of?

2 hours ago, clo said:

Are there specific countries that you're thinking of?

Middle East is the biggest offender. You have an Israeli stamp and nearly every Arab country will give you the third degree. But then if you have a Saudi, Iranian or back in the day when it was safe Syrian stamp Israel will get themselves twisted in a knot. And of course Saudi Arabia and Iran may deny your visa if you have either stamp. 

That whole Qatar situation means Arabian Gulf countries and Saudi's African allies are likely to pull you out of line for further questioning if you have a Qatari stamp. 

Azerbaijan and Armenia have these disputed territories and if you visit one in Azerbaijan, Armenia gets annoyed and if you visit one in Armenia, Azerbaijan will throw you in jail😳.

The Stans are another set of countries that have a contentious relationship. When they are having another disagreement then having a Tajik stamp can make visiting Uzbekistan harder. 

A Taiwan stamp depending on how China is feeling that day can incur extra questioning when applying for a visa. 

In the USA if you visit Iran or North Korea you no longer qualify for an ESTA you have to apply for a full visa. 

I am sure there are many others but they are the ones I know off the top of my head. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am sure there are many others but they are the ones I know off the top of my head. 

This is great!  Thanks.  I know when we went to Israel that there was a piece of paper in lieu of a stamp in our passport book for that reason.  And I talked to a young man in an airport who has two passports for that reason.  I once read something kinda joking to not go to places ending in "stan."

41 minutes ago, clo said:

This is great!  Thanks.  I know when we went to Israel that there was a piece of paper in lieu of a stamp in our passport book for that reason.  And I talked to a young man in an airport who has two passports for that reason.  I once read something kinda joking to not go to places ending in "stan."

I have heard a lot of people who travel regularly between Israel and Gulf countries use two passports. To get to Europe from Australia you almost always need to go through a Gulf country and I met a man who said since he got an Israeli stamp nearly every transit through Dubai he gets pulled aside for questioning. He couldn't wait for his passport to expire so he can get a clean one. I'm hearing the same thing is starting to happen with people who have Qatari stamps. 

The Stans tourist industry only gets bigger every year, so a country ending is stan is no longer the no go destination it was in the past 😉. Last year I read a blog of a couple who travelled through Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan when they tried to get a visa to Tajikistan they were rejected because Tajikistan wouldn't let anyone in who had been to Uzbekistan recently because the two leaders were having another disagreement😒. Apparently it happens pretty often and seems to be the go to tactic for the Stan countries in a dispute. Politics can be so annoying😣

Edited by ilikeanswers

Freeport seems to be winning this competition hands-down. :classic_biggrin:

I've never been there, and this thread has made sure that I won't. :classic_wink:

The only two ports in the Caribbean that I'd counsel against are La Guaira, Venezuela and Colon, Panama.

We're not risk-averse, but we rate both dangerous - and the experiences of others on those cruises bear this out.

La Guaira  (and Isla Margarita, which we liked) seem to have disappeared from cruise itineraries -  they were always cheap places for ship's fuel but I guess that the politics and unrest have taken their toll. Awful port, but a worthwhile ship's excursion to Caracas.

Colon is aptly-named. Police turned back those who wandered away from the port area, passengers who took a shuttle to the city centre caught the next shuttle back, a cycling excursion was attacked & had to be rescued by the police. But convenient for ship's excursion thro' the Canal by local boat.

Had a 2-week land vacation in Jamaica (Runaway Bay). Out & about exploring by open jeep most days. Felt a little uncomfortable a couple of times, but IMHO Jamaica isn't as bad as its reputation. 

Ditto South Africa.

In much of the world local hawkers can be too persistent, but not a big deal.

Can't think of any ports that weren't worth visiting (even La Guaira or Colon,  because they're gateways to much better), but there are plenty where I wouldn't choose to live.

JB :classic_smile: