northern lights

bottom-dragger

6 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

or, if the lights don't treat you right...

Neptune will be in opposition (directly opposite the sun) on sept 10 and the closest to the earth for the year AND visible all night long. the light will have taken 4 hours to reach you.

Oh thank you, I’d not have known that, and will watch out for it as sounds like a great opportunity to be in the moment for me and for my husband to take his photo gear out!

We just enjoyed a nice display of "the lights" here in Skagway!

i don't know about all of this tech advice, we just get out to our favorite spot behind the bar where there is the least light interference from both of our street lights and watch from there........

happy viewing to all of you who happen to be in the north.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:26 PM, bottom-dragger said:

or, if the lights don't treat you right...

Neptune will be in opposition (directly opposite the sun) on sept 10 and the closest to the earth for the year AND visible all night long. the light will have taken 4 hours to reach you.

Neptune! Possibly visible from a cruise ship with good sized binoculars. If you know where to look, it will look like any other "star" in binoculars but appear blue-green in color. It will be about 6 times dimmer than the dimmest star you can see naked eye from a dark location away from city and cruise ship lights.

• 3 months later...

I know there are few tourist and few locals roaming Alaska this time of year but the aurora have really been popping the last days as far down as Talkeetna and Juneau. Most folks do not venture outside much when it's 40 below zero! Mouse down to the forecast on this page - https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Taken yesterday near Fairbanks https://spaceweathergallery.com/full_image.php?image_name=Sacha-Layos-2020_01_08_9999_175frozen-beauty-14-1_1578575008.jpg

Aurora Fairbanks Jan 9 2020 by Sacha Layos space weather dot com.jpg

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1