Cruising out of Long Beach 1st time

iminyourmind

23 minutes ago, iminyourmind said:

I been on many cruises but in October it will be my first time sailing out of Long Beach.  Do anyone know of any reputable transportation service to the port from Los Angeles (airport or hotel pick up)?

Are you on the October 12th Legend cruise ?  We are coming in the night before, will Uber or Lyft to Doubleetree San Pedro, they provide transportation to port.  Also I think quite a few are doing the Best Western and I think they offer it as well.  Don’t know if this helps or not. 

We have cruised out of Long Beach about 5 times now flying into either Orange County or LAX and Uber/Lyft are the least expensive of the fastest/easiest ways to get to Long Beach.  We had 4 people a few times and we were just sure to request the XL car so the larger bags would fit.  One time we got a Prius and it just wouldn't fit 4 large bags in the trunk....lol  Lesson learned!

There are shuttles that are cheaper but we are not shuttle people due to the time they typically take.  Good Luck.

we just use Lyft. and if there's 4 of us we order an XL (luggage and people take up lots of space).

we also stay in LB at the Renaissance which is very close to the pier. there are a few good hotels to stay at in the area. it all depends on what vibe you're seeking; LA or LB. so many choices, so may good places to eat at, so little time in life to enjoy them all.

enjoy your cruise and welcome to CA.

2 hours ago, iminyourmind said:

I been on many cruises but in October it will be my first time sailing out of Long Beach.  Do anyone know of any reputable transportation service to the port from Los Angeles (airport or hotel pick up)?

We have sailed several times from Long Beach, we have found that is a lot easier to fly into Long Beach airport, very easy to navigate through. We also stay at the Queen Mary, reasonable rates, neat atmosphere and right next door to Carnival's terminal. I think the cab fare from the airport to the hotel was around $35.00 to $40.00.

I'm sailing out of Long Beach in less than a month, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.  But I already a booked a Super Shuttle transfer to get from LAX to the Queen Mary, and a Carnival transfer to get back to LAX after my cruise.

Posting to subscribe, in case anyone posts cool local suggestions.  Besides In-N-Out Burger that is; that's a must-do on my list. 😄

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Oh wow.  I know about animal style, but a whole onion slice is probably much nicer than chopped.  I'm getting that for sure.

and add chopped chilies if you like a little heat.

as for "what else to do," what do you like to do and how much time do you have?

10 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

and add chopped chilies if you like a little heat.

as for "what else to do," what do you like to do and how much time do you have?

Chopped chilies... that's another cool idea.  I'll probably get them on the side, since I don't know how hot they are.  I like spicy food, but not all peppers are equally flavorful.  Some are like Tabasco sauce: overpowering heat and not much else.

As for "what else to do", I don't know.  I'm not too interested in Hollywood and such, so probably local stuff around downtown Long Beach, that I can easily get to on the Passport bus.  Or Alamitos Bay, where I'll go anyway to eat at In-N-Out Buger.  Something like a small museum or a quirky promenade.

By the way, what's the history behind the Walk of 1000 Lights?  Its name is really unique, but it looks quite plain on Google Maps.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

14 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

You are 70-80 years late on the Walk of 1000 Lights.

I get that.  I read the historic description.  It must have looked breathtaking back in its heyday.  Today, not so much.  Would you say it's worth a tourist visit, or is it comparable to any 100-year-old street?

6 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I get that.  I read the historic description.  It must have looked breathtaking back in its heyday.  Today, not so much.  Would you say it's worth a tourist visit, or is it comparable to any 100-year-old street?

Not the Walk itself, there is nothing recognizable, but the new Pike area, Rainbow Harbor, Shoreline Village and the Aquarium are a decent way to kill off half a day if you are going to be in Long Beach and looking for something to do without leaving the area.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Not the Walk itself, there is nothing recognizable, but the new Pike area, Rainbow Harbor, Shoreline Village and the Aquarium are a decent way to kill off half a day if you are going to be in Long Beach and looking for something to do without leaving the area.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.  I'm sure are restaurants there too. I can't be eating just In-N-Out Burger, after all.

If you like Italian, I'd make the effort to Uber to Michael's on Naples, if you'd prefer just to walk to something in the DTLB area, L'Opera is excellent Italian too.

More down home is the local branch of Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles.

Sir Winston's is maybe the only other restaurant in Long Beach that I'd leave the safety and comfort of life behind the Orange Curtain for.

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you like Italian, I'd make the effort to Uber to Michael's on Naples, if you'd prefer just to walk to something in the DTLB area, L'Opera is excellent Italian too.

More down home is the local branch of Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles.

Sir Winston's is maybe the only other restaurant in Long Beach that I'd leave the safety and comfort of life behind the Orange Curtain for.

Italian doesn't really appeal to me.  Chicago has tons of Italian restaurants (due to its history), ranging from divey hole in the wall to totally ritzy, as well as chains like Olive Garden, so it won't be anything new.  Plus, I'll be cruising solo, so while it'll be fine on the ship, eating alone in a nice restaurant on land makes me ill at ease.  Now, Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles I could go for.  Southern food isn't common in my area, so I might stop in there for breakfast before checking out and walking to my ship.  Gotta be a better value than what the Queen Mary offers.

Sir Winston's is on the Queen Mary, which is where I'll actually be staying.  But I probably won't eat there; too rich for my blood.

You sound like a foodie so maybe some Mex and margs are on your list? 

Tequila Jack's Restaurant and Cantina
407 Shoreline Village Dr, Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 628-0454
https://goo.gl/maps/F8twqVnRFLcVmnH68

We’ve gone here for later evening bites and drinks. Easy access, solid food and strong drinks. Always a nice evening to kick of cruising next day. Uber and Lyft are your friends and make travel simple in LB. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Are you on the 7 day MX Riv itinerary? There’re some great places to hit on that cruise too and some tequila to bring home as well. 

No, I'm on the 4-day Catalina and Ensenada itinerary.  I'm kind of saving Mexican food for Ensenada, even though I have access to authentic Mexican restaurants too.  Any quintessential California foods you'd recommend trying, and where can I find them?  I know fish tacos are one example, but what else?

Fish tacos are quintessential San Diego food, although Wahoo's Fish Tacos is a local chain started by two Chinese boys, born in Brazil, raised on Balboa Island, who discovered fish tacos in Ensenada (where they originated) when they were surfing....

• Like 1