Pricing observation and questions from first time cruiser

I booked Serenade of the Seas sailing on 2 August 2020 to Alaska (seven nights) back in May 2019.  The initial price was US$49xx (refundable) for two adults and one child in a spacious balcony cabin. I have been checking the price DAILY and have done four price adjustments since and now we are looking at US$43xx.  A few quick observations and questions:

1. The most current price is around US$42xx.  I tried to do another round of price adjustment (okay I understand it is only 50 bucks in difference but it is only a phone call away...) TWICE but was told they are unable to match because the total fee is the same only the tax is different.  Out of curiosity does anyone know what this means?  Did any of the states just lower the tax so that it is less than what it was three months ago?
  2. RC has been running different promotions every week.  I have seen "kids sail free", "special resident rate", "second person half off", etc..  No matter what it was the total price all came down to US$42xx-US$43xx after a mock booking.  RC's trick is obvious but is it possible that the price will go significantly lower than US$43xx between now and final payment date?  Just wanted to know if I am enjoying a good deal plus I kind of want to give up my daily routine of checking prices..

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, sparkly122 said:

I booked Serenade of the Seas sailing on 2 August 2020 to Alaska (seven nights) back in May 2019.  The initial price was US$49xx (refundable) for two adults and one child in a spacious balcony cabin. I have been checking the price DAILY and have done four price adjustments since and now we are looking at US$43xx.  A few quick observations and questions:

1. The most current price is around US$42xx.  I tried to do another round of price adjustment (okay I understand it is only 50 bucks in difference but it is only a phone call away...) TWICE but was told they are unable to match because the total fee is the same only the tax is different.  Out of curiosity does anyone know what this means?  Did any of the states just lower the tax so that it is less than what it was three months ago?
  2. RC has been running different promotions every week.  I have seen "kids sail free", "special resident rate", "second person half off", etc..  No matter what it was the total price all came down to US$42xx-US$43xx after a mock booking.  RC's trick is obvious but is it possible that the price will go significantly lower than US$43xx between now and final payment date?  Just wanted to know if I am enjoying a good deal plus I kind of want to give up my daily routine of checking prices..

Thanks!

It means that the port fees and taxes have changed and unless you totally cancel and rebook Royal will not adjust those. 

the price could drop further or start to rise.  It is unpredictable 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, sparkly122 said:

I booked Serenade of the Seas sailing on 2 August 2020 to Alaska. RC's trick is obvious but is it possible that the price will go significantly lower than US$43xx between now and final payment date? 

There's no recent (several years) historical data on Radiance class on that route so it's hard to say how pricing will move. Some late August Ovation and Radiance sailings (different itineraries) have been slightly less than that this year, but that is inside final payment.

4 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Keep monitoring the prices but I wouldn't expect to see further reductions. At one year out, I think you'll start to see the prices rise.

Yes, this.  We usually book over a year in advance, and I’ve only seen the price go down once.  We are usually in a balcony.