Cannes

KC12

Cannes and Majorca are both very easy to explore on your own. For Palma, I have gone to the cathedral and walked around and shopped in that area, and I've also done a beach day (Palma Nova has some beautiful beaches but will require a taxi to get there).

Cannes is just lovely to walk around on your own. 

• Like 1

We did a train tour in Cannes you get right off the ship that drove us around the area. Tickets were very reasonable. Then we walked around on our own along the boardwalk.  Very pleasant and easy day.  We even did a little gambling just so we could say we did.  For Palma, we took the NCL shuttle and walked around there, too.  Another pleasant and relaxing day.  Unfortunately the big cathedral was not open that day.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mertziek said:

We did a train tour in Cannes you get right off the ship that drove us around the area. Tickets were very reasonable. Then we walked around on our own along the boardwalk.  Very pleasant and easy day.  We even did a little gambling just so we could say we did.  For Palma, we took the NCL shuttle and walked around there, too.  Another pleasant and relaxing day.  Unfortunately the big cathedral was not open that day.

This.  We were there during the film fest and walked around the harbor, too.  Many beautiful yachts. Bring euro coins for restroom.

7 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

This.  We were there during the film fest and walked around the harbor, too.  Many beautiful yachts. Bring euro coins for restroom.

The day we were there was right before some big yacht thing and the yachts we saw were absolutely jaw-dropping!  Not a shortage of money there.  

Italytours.eu has a Cannes etc tour - I think it’s “best of the French Riviera”.  Our roll call had a couple of vans go on it.  It was well-priced and excellent - we went to Nice, Cannes, Eze, Monaco, and I forget where else, but it was a very nice day.  Highly recommend.

3 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Same with us. We did the Little Train to Nice during the film festival. Was traveling with my MIL who has some mobility issues, so this was perfect. You start off with a little time in city center at the marketplace where we grabbed some fresh pastries and coffee. The little train ride was nice with great views up at the top. After we got back hubby & I walked to the festival area - too early in the day to see anyone or anything, but we got pictures of the red carpets and security lines. 

Palma was one of our favorite stops. We had no plans, just took the shuttle to city center and wandered the streets. Found a great chocolate shop, a butcher selling mini chorizos in a cone, got lost, fumbled our way speaking broken Spanglish to ask a local for help in getting back to the mar (uno izquierda & dos derecha), then back on the boat. We went in with no expectations, and I think that helped too. 

I have a full review of our Mediterranean trip last May in my signature if you want more details that I'm not remembering now.

We are doing the NCL Hightlights of Monaco & Nice tour: Nice, Monaco, Monte Carlo in one day.

Palma is our last stop so we booked the beach. Figured that after a week in Europe we will have seen enough churches and a few hours at the beach would be a nice way to end our vacation. We should have time to explore the boardwalk that others mention. If you like to be active there's a biking tour offered by NCL. We plan to do that on ebikes pre cruise in Barcelona, not through NCL.

Edited by Nola26

Cannes - use the train for Grasse / fragrance museum Fragonard /, or Antibes /Picasso museum /, both 20 minutes ride in oposite sites. Nice is 50 minutes ride. Taxis and buses are very slow due the traffic, do not use them. If you are 2 persons and want to explore more of coast /Villefranche sur mer, Monaco, Nice / , buy day discounted train  tickets - 26€ for two.

Or go by boat to Illes de Lerins from cannes port http://www.cannes-ilesdelerins.com/en/nos-bateaux/ beautifull island St. Honorat with functional monastery...

The Lerins Islands off Cannes are very nice. One is a nature reserve and has the fort where they kept the man in the iron mask. The ferry leaves right where the NCL tenders drop you off and it's only 15 euros for a return. About 15 minutes out to the islands. The other one has a monastery where monks sell you wine. 

I did the NCL cycling tour in Palma and thoroughly enjoyed it.