Ezair flight and transatlantic cruise

painter55

Has anyone ever booked ezair and then missed the ship because of air delays? We will be leaving from Ft Lauderdale and were planning to use ezair. As I understand it, if the flight is delayed, princess will get you to the next port. But what happens if there is a delay when the ship is on a transatlantic cruise. The next port is 6 days away. What does princess do to get you to the next port? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Rose

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, painter55 said:

Has anyone ever booked ezair and then missed the ship because of air delays? We will be leaving from Ft Lauderdale and were planning to use ezair. As I understand it, if the flight is delayed, princess will get you to the next port. But what happens if there is a delay when the ship is on a transatlantic cruise. The next port is 6 days away. What does princess do to get you to the next port? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Rose

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Don't fly in the same day as the cruise.

Not worth the stress.

They will fly you to the next port. If it is 6 days that would be a no deal for me.

I agree with Colo particularly for a transatlantic or longer crossings to not arrive on sailing day.  I would only consider arriving on sailing day if the next ports were nearby.

Edited by Astro Flyer

3 hours ago, painter55 said:

The next port is 6 days away. What does princess do to get you to the next port? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Then they will fly you to that next port. They should pay for your hotel there also. No refund on cruise days missed.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Then they will fly you to that next port. They should pay for your hotel there also. No refund on cruise days missed.

A couple years ago I was booked on the Caribbean Princess Transatlantic, FLL to Southampton. I booked EZAir LA to FLL on the DL red eye to arrive the morning of departure connecting in ATL. Unfortunately weather in ATL caused cancellations of flights and I did not find out till I arrived at LAX. Calling en route delay number got me to Australia call center who only said DL should try to rebook you and they could not.

DL said they could not get me to FLL till the following day so I would miss the cruise departure. Getting home early the next morning was on hold with DL for 3 hours to try and get rebooked, finally got thru to EZAir to rebook me for next port protection, only option given was fly out later that day to Bermuda which was the first port in 3 days or fly in 3 days to meet ship, but if flight delays for that flight I was on my own. EZAir will be paying for this rebooked flight.

I opted to fly early, and wait for the ship to arrive. EZAir said I was responsible for the 2 nights hotel costs in Bermuda since I did not have travel insurance, so EZAir does NOT cover hotel. 

Princess did refund 3 days cruise fare to my shipboard account for the missed days.

Found out later ship left FLL late evening because of late arriving flights, so if I had known, could have flown to Orlando and drove to cruiseport and made departure.

Have a plan b, c and d if you are arriving day of cruise departure.

W

• Like 1

Additionally, it matters why the delay happens.  If it is the airline's fault (mechanical failures for example), they pay your expenses.  Weather probably is what ever Cruise air wants to pay or negotiate for you with air line.  Other causes is up to the details of your travel insurance and negotiation. Your travel insurance is the back stop for expenses.  Also remember, usually all the providers may insist you continue on to catch up with the cruise especially if you have only missed 50% of it.  There are many many scenarios that can happen.  As others have stated it is better to travel early than rely on any of the "guarantees".

15 hours ago, painter55 said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. We usually fly in at least one day before a cruise sometimes more.

Good thing that you are already planning on this.   The "next port" thing can really be a problem if there is weather involved.

Example: one Transatlantic we were supposed to have a stop in Bermuda, but high winds prevented this being safe, so the Captain skipped the port.  It was rumored some people had missed the FLL connection and were flown to Bermuda (Oops.).

Flying in the day before is a really good idea, especially if flying Delta.  Between our own experience and that posted by others, Delta doesn't have a stellar reputation for getting us there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Times Prince said:

Good thing that you are already planning on this.   The "next port" thing can really be a problem if there is weather involved.

Example: one Transatlantic we were supposed to have a stop in Bermuda, but high winds prevented this being safe, so the Captain skipped the port.  It was rumored some people had missed the FLL connection and were flown to Bermuda (Oops.).

Flying in the day before is a really good idea, especially if flying Delta.  Between our own experience and that posted by others, Delta doesn't have a stellar reputation for getting us there.

Although I agree with you about Delta and hate changing in Atlanta, it doesn't matter what airline your on delays happen.  Trip insurance is the only way to go because I'd love to see an airline paying for your missed cruise.  Not going to happen.  I don't ever fly in the day of the cruise too many variables and the stress isn't worth it.

7 hours ago, Times Prince said:

Flying in the day before is a really good idea

Yes, but if your flight a day early is cancelled, there may not be space available on another flight until days after the ship has sailed. There have been posts that this has happened to some people. Flights on the "day of" made it OK, but were too full to accommodate those who had a cancelled flight a day early.