Dubai/Gulf cancellations - will MSC join in?

Sancho_proudfoot

So l see that P&O and Celebrity are cancelling cruises that call in to Dubai, or elsewhere in the Gulf, for 2020/1, due to the tensions with Iran.

We are booked on the Seaside from Barcelona to Dubai in November 2020, and are now feeling a bit twitchy about a potential cancellation.

Anybody have any news or views?

The P&O issue is the ship bearing a British flag, they've advised passengers can transfer to sailings with their sister companies, Costa and Aida. Which will be continued. 

MSC announced last week their sailings were unaltered and offered special deals for those cancelling their P&O cruises. As discussed in a thread last week

However, the situation obviously has potential for change. At present MSC are committed to continuing sailings in the region. 

The cancelled Celebrity sailings are actually over winter 2020/21 so over a year and a half away.  Even they couldn't blame the current events.  They have simply moved the ship to Tampa where they think they can make more money.

I am booked on RCI B2B for Dubai next year.

I was on one of the cancelled X cruises for my Big Birthday and I am a bit miffed to put it politely......

15 minutes ago, little britain said:

The cancelled Celebrity sailings are actually over winter 2020/21 so over a year and a half away.  Even they couldn't blame the current events.  They have simply moved the ship to Tampa where they think they can make more money.

I was on one of the cancelled X cruises for my Big Birthday and I am a bit miffed to put it politely......

Disappointing, but aren't you glad you know now rather than the week before when too difficult to make alternate plans? Happy birthday!

2 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Disappointing, but aren't you glad you know now rather than the week before when too difficult to make alternate plans? Happy birthday!

We will wait and see if RCI cancel their 2019 Dubai cruises (which I am on for The One Before The Big Birthday...!).  As that is 5 months away flights and hotels* have been booked. That would be a costly change.....

Edited by little britain
* hotels are cancellable though.

4 minutes ago, little britain said:

We will wait and see if RCI cancel their 2019 Dubai cruises (which I am on for The One Before The Big Birthday...!).  As that is 5 months away flights and hotels* have been booked. That would be a costly change.....

Isn't this what trip insurance is for? When a provider doesn't deliver, flights and peripherals should be covered....but I know every country has different insurance clauses.  And I know not everyone considers insurance worth it.

I still think the whole issue - at this time - is political.....for now. Fingers crossed.

Edited by mef_57

36 minutes ago, little britain said:

36 minutes ago, little britain said:

Yes, our MSC is November 2020. Still 15 months out, and a lot can change before then. 

38 minutes ago, little britain said:

There were some social media suggestions, unsubstantiated, obviously, that although there is an issue with UK/Iran in the region, that sales for the P&O cruises weren't great and contributed to the decision.