Price Drop Strategy Help Needed

FlaMariner

23 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

This is true. We always book Signature Suites and ALWAYS get up sell offers to Neptune Suites about a week out.  So far, we've never taken one but we have been tempted. I like the idea of knowing our cabin and if you take an up sell I think you take your chances on what NS cabin you will get. 

I’ve had upsell offers and always been told what rooms I could choose.

I’ve never had to ‘take a chance’ on an upsell offer as to cabin location.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Interesting about the schedule change. Our last one had one after final payment and nothing was done, even though it caused big changes for  excursions.   On our next cruise there have been two port changes with nothing. Only time we received anything was when everything changed except embarkation and debarkation ports. 

Wondering what others have Found?

Once the ship was reassigned from a European Itineray to Alaska, so we receive $100 per person OBC to switch to another itineray. We found one that was very close to the original.

Another time was when the cruise changed to an earlier start date and became 2 days longer. Again we received OBC.

The third time, the ship need some repairs, so it skipped PEI and stayed an extra day in Quebec City. We received OBC and a future cruise credit. That turned out to be our lucky cruise. We also got "bumped" a few hours on our flight and received  a $1200 airline voucher. Then we entered the "free cruise" lottery for $20 and won a 7 day cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kazu said:

That has been my experience too.  And I think it's weird -- but VERY nice!  I always start off with an interior gty 'cause I'm solo and not really wealthy.  That's when you're taking a chance -- with a gty.  But I've taken upsells from everything from OVs thru verandas up to NS (once).  And each time they tell me which staterooms are available and I pick the one I perceive to be most desirable.  This week I was offered an upsell to an OV for next week's Amsterdam cruise.  I wanted one of the ones with the renovated bathroom and on the deck that I prefer -- and that's what I selected and received.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, kazu said:

I guess you have to actually call for that? Or can you use the website? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I guess you have to actually call for that? Or can you use the website? Thanks.

If you use a TA, they will call with the offers.

If you book directly through HAL upsell offers are emailed, I believe.

You can call as you get close to inquire IF you didn’t use a TA.  If you did, your TA has to make the call.

Upsells have never been available on the website and there are no guarantees that the upsell fairy visits as categories can be sold out and not everyone seems to receive them.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

You can call as you get close to inquire IF you didn’t use a TA.  If you did, your TA has to make the call.

Upsells have never been available on the website and there are no guarantees that the upsell fairy visits as categories can be sold out and not everyone seems to receive them.

My TA forwarded an email from HAL on the one upsell offer I received.  I usually book NS so not a lot of chances for upsells.  I did call HAL about some of the details and they did talk to me.  I didn't accept that upsell but I got another one for half the price a week later that I did accept.  I had to ask the TA to do the actual upsell.

20 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks. We use a HAL PCC and the up sells always come by email. The email gives a phone number to call and I always thought that if I called it I would just be given a gty. Neptune Suite, not a specific cabin assignment.