Another coffee question - main dining room

zitsky

So I've been told the coffee in the main dining room is terrible.  That the World Cafe has a machine that makes decent coffee.  And the Living Room Bar is the place to go to get decent espresso drinks.

But what if I order a cappucino in the MDR?  Can I do that?  Where will it come from?

When I was on river the coffee in the MDR didn't bother me.  I thought it was OK.  I'm pretty picky about my coffee.

On our three Viking cruises in the past 24 months, we thought the DR coffee was fine.  Nothing special, but definitely not awful.  I’m sort of picky about coffee, and I could drink it easily.  My DH often ordered a cappuccino or espresso, and I occasionally had a cappuccino and we both thought these were just fine.  I’ve been on other lines with truly awful coffee, and I would rate Viking as better than many.  This is so subjective, though...YM(almost certainly will!)V!

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ok!  I don't want to run all over the ship for good coffee.

You will pass by (or within a few feet of) the Living Room bar on your way to The Restaurant so if the dining room coffee isn't to your liking, you can pick one up on your way in. 

On 8/26/2019 at 2:29 PM, zitsky said:

So I've been told the coffee in the main dining room is terrible.  That the World Cafe has a machine that makes decent coffee.  And the Living Room Bar is the place to go to get decent espresso drinks.

But what if I order a cappucino in the MDR?  Can I do that?  Where will it come from?

When I was on river the coffee in the MDR didn't bother me.  I thought it was OK.  I'm pretty picky about my coffee.

Once I figured out how bad the decaf was in the MDR, I would stop by the LivingRoom Bar and get a cappuccino to take into the MDR for breakfast. But that lasted for a short time because on subsequent cruises we decide that we really preferred the World Cafe for breakfast.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, aungrl said:

On our three Viking cruises in the past 24 months, we thought the DR coffee was fine.  Nothing special, but definitely not awful.  I’m sort of picky about coffee, and I could drink it easily.  My DH often ordered a cappuccino or espresso, and I occasionally had a cappuccino and we both thought these were just fine.  I’ve been on other lines with truly awful coffee, and I would rate Viking as better than many.  This is so subjective, though...YM(almost certainly will!)V!

Yes, very subjective. I haven't had MDR coffee since June, 2016 and I had been drinking decaf. But maybe because of all our complaints about MDR coffee, things have changed. Or maybe the regular coffee tastes significantly different from the decaf. Or maybe my intel is just simply stale at this point.

Edited by Peregrina651

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Once I figured out how bad the decaf was in the MDR, I would stop by the LivingRoom Bar and get a cappuccino to take into the MDR for breakfast. But that lasted for a short time because on subsequent cruises we decide that we really preferred the World Cafe for breakfast.

We had never had breakfast in the dining room until our last transatlantic when the DMIL wanted to, boy once we did the lamb chops kept us coming back!

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We had never had breakfast in the dining room until our last transatlantic when the DMIL wanted to, boy once we did the lamb chops kept us coming back!

Lamb chops for breakfast???

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Lamb chops for breakfast???

Yes m’am!  Delicious grilled ones.  So much better than steak and eggs!  

LOL, wrote this before I had read Peregrina’s post! So came back to edit. 

I wasn’t initially convinced of the whole idea but once I had them, they along with the delicious pistachio roll (you have to bring it yourself from the Living Room bar pastry counter) became my go-to dining room breakfast. 

If the brits can eat pork and beans for breakfast, I see no reason not to have lamb chops. 🙂

Edited by Clay Clayton