Enchantment Propulsion Issues....

17 hours ago, Becoming said:

I just got off Enchantment yesterday.  We had times we were going 20 and 22 knots.  All day on Sunday, the boat was rocking.  The starboard side of deck 5 was closed to the outside staring maybe mid-afternoon.  I'm not sure if we got the beginning of Tropical Storm Fernand or what.  It did rain in the afternoon.  

Patti 

Patti - we were on same voyage.  I think the rocking was from the weather, but I did notice we seemed to be having issues when docking in Cozumel with the winds and touch of white caps.  That may be a sign of some propulsion issues........(and/or age!)

6 hours ago, fla gang said:

So each blade is mounted individually? That is amazing! I would love to go to a seminar just to hear how all of the propulsion system works. Watched a video once showing a crankshaft being swapped out on a Holland ship. They lifted the engine block up and then removed the crank.

Not sure what happened to my answer earlier, but let's try again.  Looking at Enchantment's data, she has fixed pitch propellers, and like Grandeur they are "highly skewed" (meaning the blade tip is swept back more to a point than the older "cloverleaf" blades), so they are likely a one piece propeller.  The skewed propellers improve efficiency, but the blades are more susceptible to damage. Even a one piece propeller can be removed by divers, it just takes a little longer, and this is why they may be delaying the "slow down", in order to get the divers and cranes lined up, and some "wiggle room" in an itinerary at Galveston.

I believe there is a video of when they replaced an entire centerline engine on Oasis.  They installed hydraulic cylinders in the engine room, attached them to the engine, cut the hull around under the engine, lowered the hull section and engine to the floor of the drydock, and skidded it out from underneath.  Remove the old engine from the hull section, bolt in the new engine, and reverse the process to install.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what happened to my answer earlier, but let's try again.  Looking at Enchantment's data, she has fixed pitch propellers, and like Grandeur they are "highly skewed" (meaning the blade tip is swept back more to a point than the older "cloverleaf" blades), so they are likely a one piece propeller.  The skewed propellers improve efficiency, but the blades are more susceptible to damage. Even a one piece propeller can be removed by divers, it just takes a little longer, and this is why they may be delaying the "slow down", in order to get the divers and cranes lined up, and some "wiggle room" in an itinerary at Galveston.

I believe there is a video of when they replaced an entire centerline engine on Oasis.  They installed hydraulic cylinders in the engine room, attached them to the engine, cut the hull around under the engine, lowered the hull section and engine to the floor of the drydock, and skidded it out from underneath.  Remove the old engine from the hull section, bolt in the new engine, and reverse the process to install.

There are some posts near the end of the Hurricane Dorian thread about the storm than Anthem encountered out of Bayonne  a few years ago.  I wonder if you can comment on the considerations the Captain was dealing with at the time.