Enough With the Coffee! Tell Us About the Fancy Cocktails!

Liz Masterson

I'm astonished by the number of posts about coffee!

Let's switch things up.

I like to enjoy a fancy cocktail before or after dinner.  I don't mean a simple glass of wine or scotch, though I enjoy them as well, but something fancy.

For example this summer in Vancouver I had a delicious Earl Grey and Lavendar Martini! And when I'm in Ithaca I try to stop by the Moosewood Restaurant for a Grapefruit and Basil Martini... yum yum!

Surely Viking has something to tempt me?

Edited by Liz Masterson
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Let's switch things up.

I like to enjoy a fancy cocktail before or after dinner.  I don't mean a simple glass of wine or scotch, though I enjoy them as well, but something fancy.

For example this summer in Vancouver I had a delicious Earl Grey and Lavendar Martini! And when I'm in Ithaca I try to stop by the Moosewood Restaurant for a Grapefruit and Basil Martini... yum yum!

I was quite happy to find a Singapore Sling on their drink menu and I have heard that they will make a French 75! 

• Like 1

Okay--let's get back on topic here Liz.

I found the cocktails in the Living Room and Explorer's Lounge fairly traditional, practically retro. They have all the basic cocktails and many that remind me of my parents cocktail parties in the 60's---Grasshopper, Brandy Alexander, etc. All were very good.

I felt the best, and more exotic choices, were in Torshavn. They have tasting flights available and some different, fun choices and the bartender was more of a mixologist (in our experience).

Viking does not have super trendy craft cocktails like you get in a upscale cocktail bar with custom crafted bitters and complex flavor profiles. But I would not really expect that.

I'm sure you will have fun trying out the offerings and they will be happy to mix up whatever you can imagine if it is not on the menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Liz, I'm a fan of the Lemondrop Martini.

Me too!  And for a "less sweet" change of pace I enjoyed the Aperol Spritz.  The bartenders are very good at their jobs and most can make a drink for you even if it is not on the menu ... how about an expresso martini ... or is that too much coffee talk again?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parsley Cruises said:

I find cocktails - and those who over indulge - a complete and utter bore.  That's my opinion, and it's not going to be changed.  

On our last VO cruise, there was a particular couple, one half drank to excess and the other one didn't.  Ok, you might say, except the one who didn't drink brought the other one on a quite costly excursion, the one who hadn't got drunk grabbed the nicest seats on the coach, and then they slept the whole (long) journey to the place of interest.

There were those on the coach who would have greatly appreciated those 'prime seats', to enjoy the views and use cameras - but oh no, the couple in question thought that the whole world revolved around them; even made a real nuisance of themselves when we all disembarked the coach.

I cannot and will not ever see the point of booking and paying for a cruise simply to drink to excess, make a fool of yourself in bars, restaurants and on excursions, and neither enjoy nor understand the relevance and beauty of the places visited on the cruise.

It's not clever -  a good part of a cruise is at sea, and if people are going through the effects of drinking too much they can't be in the best frame of mind if an emergency situation crops up either.  It's not the right thing, it's shouldn't be the done thing, and it's not for me.  

It's an affectation.

Ouch!  If the subject is such a total bore, I'm surprised you spent four paragraphs and goodness knows how much time "chiming in".  I find people who do little but complain a bore but I won't invest more than two sentences on that discussion!

1 hour ago, Parsley Cruises said:

• Like 6

We have gotten the Silver Spirits package so that we can have the fun of "tasting" many of the cocktails that we would never have ordered!!!  If they have the ingredients and the recipe most of the bartenders are more than willing to fix whatever you want.  My husband loves ( his own concoction) the frozen lemonade (pool bar when it is in the machine) pimms, gin and a dash of bitters!!!

If time permits bartenders often will stuff olives with blue cheese for a great martini!!!    although not on the menu a French 75 is a great pre-dinner cocktail. A Rusty Nail (drambuie and scotch) is perfect to take into or order while watching the evening show!!  LOVE the Explorers' Bar and a late night chocolate martini....one favorite bartender even infused vodka with coffee for the chocolate espresso martini.  Alas, on our last cruise they did not stock Aberlour!   CHEERS to you Liz Masterson!

Parsley Cruiser not to worry I have never enjoyed all the suggestions on any one day and I assure you if I happen to get the first seat on a bus (highly unlikely because I would have been pushed aside by some obnoxious fellow passenger) we would FULLY enjoy the views and commentary by the guide!

• Like 3

I was fascinated by a poster's description in a review posted a while ago of the Viking Royal, Viking's variation of the Kir Royal. 

I did try one and it was the only cocktail I had on board as I am not a big drinker.

I liked it. It was very refreshing and a great sail away beverage.  I can't remember all the ingredients but I remember aquavit, lime and sparkling wine. 

11 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Let's switch things up.

Like others have said, do not be afraid to ask for something not on the drink menu. The barmaid at the Viking bar made me an excellent espresso martini.

• Like 1

Really?   I've been on three VO cruises and booked for fourth.   Have never seen anything remotely like Parsley experienced.   Sorry if offensive,  but, live and let live unless you're paying for other's fare.  Oh, never bought SS, but love a good Manhattan,  some venues on different ships served better than others 🍸

Edited by rudychance
  • Like 3

Just checking in enjoying the responses.  I suspect Parsley deleted something? Some othe the other comments see to relate to something I can’t see. 

No worries!  I don’t think I’ll do the SS package. I don’t expect to drink so much it would be worth it but that chocolate martini sounds yummy! It’s fun to try new things!

THANK YOU Everyone!

Edited by Liz Masterson
Addition

Oh goodness - the French 75!  We had a dear friend that brought the makings for that and set them up with Blue Curacao (I have no idea how to spell that) - beautiful and tasty!  One guest did not enjoy it and offered hers to another.  After the 2 x 75s, the second guest noted that she could not feel her nose!

That's a good cocktail!

Peace!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crisismon said:

Oh goodness - the French 75!  We had a dear friend that brought the makings for that and set them up with Blue Curacao (I have no idea how to spell that) - beautiful and tasty!  One guest did not enjoy it and offered hers to another.  After the 2 x 75s, the second guest noted that she could not feel her nose!

That's a good cocktail!

Peace!

Blue Curacao is not one of the usual ingredients ( gin, Champagne, lemon juice, and sugar. ) but I'll bet that was an interesting addition.  I love a French 75.  We are starting our cruise in Montreal, Quebec, so I think that would be most appropriate to toast with!

I'm looking forward to trying some new cocktails.  I drive bartenders nuts because I don't have a "drink."  I always like to change up 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I wonder if I could make a French 75 with Prosecco instead of champagne... if I did should I call it a Italian 75?

LOL. I don’t see why not!

The name comes from a French 75mm gun.  Supposedly the drink has a kick like the gun 😆. Epicurious claims it was originally made with cognac not gin, but that isn’t supported by other sources. 

• Haha 1