Wheel Chair Assistance at Ports

debhaynes

My DH and I are sailing on the Grand Princess to Hawaii on 11/18.   I am having foot surgery next week and may still be limited on my walking/standing ability during the cruise.  We are going to rent a wheelchair to have on the ship and in port if needed.   I know I won't be able to take the chair on the tender, but I was wondering if Princess staff would use one of their chairs to wheel me to a meeting point/end of the dock for excursions or could I use my rental and leave it with a staff member to return it to the ship.  I would either send my husband for the chair to pick me up or call for assistance.   For the excursions we are doing, I will just do my best on my own.  

When we have sailed on RCL they had wheelchair service at the ports and you called them when you were ready to be picked up.   I am hoping that Princess has a similar option.

Deb

The only tender port on your Hawaii cruise will be in Lahaina (Maui).  If it is a travel wheel chair, you will be able to take it on the tender.....but...you must be mobile/steady enough to get out of the wheel chair, maneuver the bouncing platform, and get on/off the tender with assistance.  There is an elevator to get you to the platform.  The deck hands will assist you as much as they can.  Have a wonderful voyage.

My DW tore her knee meniscus getting off a hotel/pier shuttle on embarkation day.

The shoreside staff got her a wheelchair for boarding, but it had to stay behind.  The Medical Center rented us a wheelchair for on board ($20/day if I recall correctly).  A word of caution: even Princess' wheelchair had to be folded to get it in our non-handicap stateroom.

The onboard wheelchair was more a collection of parts moving in loose formation.  😉

Edited by Haboob

I have often seen staff assist people on or off the ship by wheeling them in their chair up or down the gang-plank to the dock. If the ramp is steep, two men work together to do the job. From there, I believe your husband would have to take over. If the wheelchair is a folding type, most tour buses would be able to carry it in their luggage space. The driver would get it out for you at each stop.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I have had 3 major ankle surgeries including having both ankles replaced.Ditch the wheelchair and buy/rent one of these: https://www.amazon.com/KneeRover-Deluxe-Steerable-Scooter-Alternative/dp/B009VLBPI0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_121_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P5R4ZD3HRFN7393JXFA4

I bought 1 barely used off of Craigs list for $100. I put a small bungy cord in the basket to hold my Yeti cup. This also folds to put in the trunk/boot.

• Like 1

Why don't you just buy a transport chair?  My husband has used one for years because they are lightweight, easy to push, fold up, and are easy to get on and off a tender.

They are not expensive.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:04 PM, mek said:

Why don't you just buy a transport chair?  My husband has used one for years because they are lightweight, easy to push, fold up, and are easy to get on and off a tender.

They are not expensive.

I am looking into purchasing a transport chair because I could then use it for our day in San Francisco.  I have a knee trike, but it doesn't fold up and can be a PITA getting around on it.  

My DH usually carries a backpack on vacations and we are looking into purchasing a folding camping chair that would fit inside the pack.  This way when I don't have the wheelchair with me, I will have a place to sit and get off my foot.  I won't have to rely on the Princess crew to assist me while waiting in line for our excursions or wheeling me down the dock to the taxi area.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:20 PM, EDDY0827 said:

I have had 3 major ankle surgeries including having both ankles replaced.Ditch the wheelchair and buy/rent one of these: https://www.amazon.com/KneeRover-Deluxe-Steerable-Scooter-Alternative/dp/B009VLBPI0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_121_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P5R4ZD3HRFN7393JXFA4

I bought 1 barely used off of Craigs list for $100. I put a small bungy cord in the basket to hold my Yeti cup. This also folds to put in the trunk/boot.

Definatley when hubby had ankle  surgery I bought a wheel chair and he got crutches ,the wheel chair did not work on carpet and I had to follow him everywhere when he was on Crutches always on the verge of falling! :( Someone clued me into the knee scooter best thing I bought!!

Edited by Reader0108598