Suitcase Weight

Tonyrefail1

If you are non flying they request that weight limit for health and safety reasons for the people who deal with the suitcases at the port and when they are on board. You have just one case over, they will be dealing with 1000's. Could be a waiter etc getting it to your cabin. If you are driving to the port could you not just take extra cases.

Not just at your port & on board but if you are travelling to the port by coach the driver also has to handle them(I know on our last coach transfer I was concerned because the driver was only small & looked like most of the cases probably weighed more than him!)

I agree with the previous posters but the 20kg is from Southampton and not for flights you can take more than one case. Flights are normally 23kg regardless of what the luggage labels say. I have attached P&O's guidance for you to check it.

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.flights.Baggage-allowance-on-flight.summary

Edited by dgs1956

I have never understood the 20kg limit in Southampton. If you are allowed 23kgs on a fly cruise where someone still has to put a 23kg case onto a boat. Needless to say, in protest, I have always filled my cases to 23kgs when departing from Southampton, and been ready to argue about it, but, alas, they have always been loaded without a problem.

3 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Just got our luggage labels for Britannia and it states max weight 23Kg

I think people are getting confused. If you’re doing a Southampton round trip the 23kg limit is per suitcase and you can take as many suitcases as you wish. The weight limit is purely to avoid injuries to baggage handlers. Others may be able to advise for fly cruises.

38 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I think people are getting confused. If you’re doing a Southampton round trip the 23kg limit is per suitcase and you can take as many suitcases as you wish. The weight limit is purely to avoid injuries to baggage handlers. Others may be able to advise for fly cruises.

No confusion. TUI hold luggage is 23kg per case although you may be allowed additional allowance for Premium seats or if you have a wedding ceremony booked.

Edited by dgs1956

I think P&O must have different weights listed in different places- we just cruised on Britannia from Southampton and my labels said 23kg max, but family members we were travelling with kept saying they had seen it was 20kg. No idea where they were looking.

Anyway its not like they weigh them- as said it's for the safety of the baggage handlers so as long as its not well overweight you'll be fine. I didn't even weigh our cases, just hefted them a bit and they felt fine.

47 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I think P&O must have different weights listed in different places- we just cruised on Britannia from Southampton and my labels said 23kg max, but family members we were travelling with kept saying they had seen it was 20kg. No idea where they were looking.

Anyway its not like they weigh them- as said it's for the safety of the baggage handlers so as long as its not well overweight you'll be fine. I didn't even weigh our cases, just hefted them a bit and they felt fine.

I'm sure the last cruise from Southampton was 20kg but it is now 23kg.

always had 23K when going from Southampton

now going on a fly cruise and booked premium seats with Thomson/TUI

limit says max 28K per passenger but a max of 23 per case so it will be 3 cases 2 x23K  and  1X10K

also you have 1 carry on each of 5K  so more than enough

I believe that 23kg is now the internationallly accepted maximum weight per suitcase on flights. It used to be 25kg but was reduced a few years ago. 20kg is P&Os own limit for their ships. So in theory you can take a 23kg bag onto the plane but not onto the ship. Cannot see why P&O cannot keep things simple and come into line at 23kg. This is hardly a huge weight; I am 72 yrs old and weigh only 9st 9lb but have no problems in handling a case of that weight.

31 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I believe that 23kg is now the internationallly accepted maximum weight per suitcase on flights. It used to be 25kg but was reduced a few years ago. 20kg is P&Os own limit for their ships. So in theory you can take a 23kg bag onto the plane but not onto the ship. Cannot see why P&O cannot keep things simple and come into line at 23kg. This is hardly a huge weight; I am 72 yrs old and weigh only 9st 9lb but have no problems in handling a case of that weight.

It is 23kg now from Southampton. As I said previously I'm sure the case limit was 20kg the last time I went from Southampton.