Looking for a beach day! Eastern Carribbean

clhoward65

We are cruising to Eastern Caribbean in April 2020. Carnival Breeze. We are looking for a place to spend the day economically on the beach with the granddaughters. We have visited Tropicante in Costa Maya which was perfect. We were able to reserve our chairs ahead of time. With only cost being the food and drink we ordered that day. Was a paradise! We are visiting Grand Turk, Amber Cove, St Thomas and San Juan. Please someone advise where we can find a beach paradise for a day! Thank you so much in advance! 

The beach in Grand Turk is right there. Both sides of the pier.  Facing the Dufry shop, on your left will be Margaritaville.  Loungers are free but not the ones closest to the water, they are private vendor lounger s and umbrellas.  On the right the loungers are free but there's a bit of a drop to the water.  Food and drink at Margaritaville is more expensive than at the Beached Whale on the right.

In Amber Cove, again the beaches are right there. But Carnival does charge for many things. 

St. Thomas has a number of beaches, we like Sapphire Beach with it's snorkeling from shore, but hearing it is getting more developed.  Coki Beach is another option, where there's a water park and aquarium.

San Juan's beaches are a taxi ride away, Condado or Isla Verde, on the north side.  You may wish to take a walking tour or free tram and visit the Forts and other places in Old San Juan.  Great history lesson for the grandkids.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes Rick’s Tropicante is a great option for just relaxing on the beach with reasonably-priced food and drink service, and it’s great knowing you have lounges reserved.

Sapphire on STT would be our choice, gorgeous water colors and island views, and home to condo properties so no vendors fighting over you as on other public beaches. Typical amenities and rentals, and you can find a nice spot away from the beach bar area. But another beach on ST Thomas or even St John may be a better choice for you, depending on the date you are there, and of course your time in port?

On 9/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, blue_water said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes Rick’s Tropicante is a great option for just relaxing on the beach with reasonably-priced food and drink service, and it’s great knowing you have lounges reserved.

Which island is this on?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Which island is this on?

The Tropicante is in Mahahual just off the Costa Maya cruise port which is on the Western Caribbean itinerary. Small beach restaurant with many other restaurants and shops on the busier beach there. The OP was looking for something similar in the Eastern...

• Like 1

I’ve been to Tropicante, it’s a great place! You could try Jack’s Shack in Grand Turk for kind of a similar vibe. Just go left off the pier and you’ll see it before you hit the industrial pier, probably about a 10 minute walk. Chairs are free and I think umbrellas were $10. 

Amber Cove doesn’t have a nice beach nearby but the port has a free swimming pool and lots of things to do. Chairs are free and I think an umbrella is around $20. You can get food/drinks brought to you and although it isn’t cheap it is cheaper than taking everyone on an excursion. 

Walk around Old San Juan or take the free trolley. Admission to the forts is inexpensive. Check out the cool cemetery next to El Morro (one of the forts). If they have the umbrellas back up near the governor’s mansion there is a great photo op. My kids loves stopping at Chocobar Cortez for authentic Puerto Rican hot chocolate (they put a piece of cheese in it! Surprisingly tasty!) and pasties. 

The cable car to paradise point in St. Thomas was neat and it was actually cheaper to book it through Carnival. I think it was $20 for adults and $15 for kids when I went last February. We didn’t do much else in St. Thomas as there were 6 or 7 ships in port that day. We did have a delicious lunch at The Smoking Rooster. 

Have fun on your trip! My favorite ports were San Juan (very interesting) and Grand Turk (very relaxing). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...