What is on your last minute list of things to do...

spleenstomper

On 9/12/2019 at 5:43 PM, deadmoney said:

One trip about 20 years ago I forgot to pack underwear.

Still get asked every trip"did you remember your underwear?"😂

One memorable trip, with my parents, two aunts and a cousin, my Dad spent almost two days making sure everyone had packed what they needed and then that the bags were in the car.

The first night, guess who did not have their bag?  Yeap, he didn't.

So in sympathy, everyone wore the same thing for the trip (washing things out at night).  😄

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

Even dairy products are good for at least 10 days AFTER the Sell By date.

What dairy products are you referring to? I'm lucky if my milk makes it to the expiry date😳.

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

All those of you mentioning clean out the fridge, what do you have the will not last a week or so?

Obviously all the fresh food. Meat can be frozen but I find with fresh fruit and vegetables the texture gets mushy if you freeze and defrost them. Leafy vegetables and herbs don't make it the week, some root vegetables like potatoes will normally last, onions are pretty hardy and citruses I'm not too worried about but the rest I try to use them up or at least cook them into something that can be frozen for my return.

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

What dairy products are you referring to? I'm lucky if my milk makes it to the expiry date😳.

Obviously all the fresh food. Meat can be frozen but I find with fresh fruit and vegetables the texture gets mushy if you freeze and defrost them. Leafy vegetables and herbs don't make it the week, some root vegetables like potatoes will normally last, onions are pretty hardy and citruses I'm not too worried about but the rest I try to use them up or at least cook them into something that can be frozen for my return.

Read the carton, it is NOT an expiry date, it is a Sell By date.  It may not be sold after that date.  And the date is supposed to be set for the product to be used for 10 day after that date.  My FIL used to own a grocery store.  I am WELL acquainted with the differences between a Sell By Date, and Expiry Date, and a Best If Used By Date.

My romaine lettuce lasts for more than a week.  Although after a couple of weeks may not be as crisp. 

You refrigerate onions?????  I leave them on the counter, and they last for months.  Potatoes only need to be in the dark, otherwise they sprout.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

Read the carton, it is NOT an expiry date, it is a Sell By date.  It may not be sold after that date.  And the date is supposed to be set for the product to be used for 10 day after that date.  My FIL used to own a grocery store.  I am WELL acquainted with the differences between a Sell By Date, and Expiry Date, and a Best If Used By Date.

In Australia milk and most dairy product apart from some cheeses has an expiry date not a sell by date. Actually we don't have a sell by date just expiry and best before. No wonder the confusion😋.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

My romaine lettuce lasts for more than a week.  Although after a couple of weeks may not be as crisp.

I don't really eat lettuce but I do like my leafy veg crisp. But my spinach or parsley don't last the week. If they don't go mushy they do go yellow.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

You refrigerate onions?????  I leave them on the counter, and they last for months.  Potatoes only need to be in the dark, otherwise they sprout.

I find onions last longer, you don't get that blue fuzz between the layers especially on a 40°C (104°F) day.

Edited by ilikeanswers

7 hours ago, SRF said:

I carry some food for evenings, otherwise I would be stuck with hotel dining room prices.

Bob would frequently pick up a burger or something and watch a ball game in his room.  His company had a "sky's the limit" expense policy but ya get tired of all that night after night.

17 hours ago, clo said:

We have ours set up as ongoing and never have to change it

I don't set up auto payments.  I want to remain in the loop.

It also allows me to deal with situation where a pay check might not show up until after the bill is due (I get paid every 2 weeks, so the dates change month to month).  Most times, no issues, but once in a while, it can make a difference.

16 hours ago, clo said:

Bob would frequently pick up a burger or something and watch a ball game in his room.  His company had a "sky's the limit" expense policy but ya get tired of all that night after night.

It depends on WHERE you are.

US or Europe?  Fine.

Ouagadougou, maybe not. 😄

On 9/17/2019 at 1:15 AM, SRF said:

I don't set up auto payments.  I want to remain in the loop.

It also allows me to deal with situation where a pay check might not show up until after the bill is due (I get paid every 2 weeks, so the dates change month to month).  Most times, no issues, but once in a while, it can make a difference.

Oh, we definitely remain in the loop.  As retirees we have multiple 'pay days,' SS, a small pension. IRA distribution.  When I made the final payment on our cruise I did let Bob know that it was a big amount just in case.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:17 AM, SRF said:

It depends on WHERE you are.

US or Europe?  Fine.

Ouagadougou, maybe not. 😄

His intl. travel, over the years, was Europe, Asia, Central and South America but always big cities.

A modern, fancy toaster, maybe.  A classic basic toaster, um, NO.

As for turning off the water to the whole house, if your heating is hot water based (radiant floors or baseboard or radiator), turning off the water while the furnace is still on, can lead to VERY expensive repairs. 

Know your systems and what it is safe to do.  If you don't know, talk to your heating service company.