What is on your last minute list of things to do...

spleenstomper

I double check ( for the millionth time) flights, hotel reservation, post cruise hotel and car rental. Then I print our itinerary for our house sitter and a copy goes in a clear plastic sleeve on top of clothes in our checked luggage in case the suitcases don't arrive when we do. I also take a photo of everything packed in the luggage in case a claim needs to be made. Being proactive makes for less stress, for me.

Happy cruising spleenstomper.

• Like 2

I’m going to be gone 2 months, so I had a few things to do before I leave my house on the 22nd. Got my flu shot today, ordered a small bit of foreign currency, & refilled my mail prescription. My debit card expires next month and the credit union said it probably won’t be here before I leave, but luckily I can go in and they will issue me a new one on the spot. A lot more things to plan for when going international and being away from home for so long.

• Like 1

The worst part of my night before leaving for vacation is that my mind is going 100 mph, going over everything in my head trying to make sure I didn't forget anything. I'll lay there for hours trying to fall asleep.

Stopping the mail is a good one. We schedule that about a week or two out. I don't pack until two or three days out. I print out some informational sheets for a few family members. Carnival's number in case of an emergency at home, the ship & itinerary, days and times we can be reached on our cell phones if necessary, stuff like that. The very last think I do before we walk out the door is shut off the water. We don't want any flooded surprises when we get home.

• Like 2

I have not read any of the responses you have received.  For me, the "start," and "end," is a list that I have had for years.  As I'm putting everything into my luggage, I am marking it off the list.  When I am down to the very LAST items like passport, medicine, flight, etc. that I will be taking ON the plane with me, I double check.  Normally I very seldom find that I'm needing something that I forgot. 🙂

• Like 2

Notify your bank and credit cards about your itinerary!  List the countries you visit as well as any places you fly and might use your debit card at airport, etc. 

We forgot to do this 4 yrs ago and went out to eat the night before our cruise and our dinner payment got denied!  So embarrassing.  Called bank and they had put a freeze on bank account as they saw activity in another state from our residence and assumed our card was stolen.  

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 2

I always pack the night before a cruise or a vacation.  I'll take a minute and review all my travel docs as well.

9 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

I forgot to stop: mail!

I have slowly begun to pack. 

Flu shot is good idea

Flu shot shouldn't be a last minute item.  If you get a shot even the week before a cruise, it won't reach full effect until after you get off the ship.  For maximum effectiveness, the immunization needs several weeks to take full effect.

• Like 1

Turn off my AC. Not paying to maintain a house temp while I am gone

I created a packing checklist in Word. I check that the night before. I no longer forget things

Notifying the bank is a thing of the past, at least with some companies. With all of the technology we have, many banks already know you are traveling. Haven't had a problem with Chase

• Like 1

I triple check for our passports.  We're very frequent travelers so most other minor mistakes can be corrected on the road (not that we're not careful about not making any).  But passports/docs are the one thing I can't mess up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

I forgot to stop: mail!

I have slowly begun to pack. 

Flu shot is good idea

Way too early for a flu shot—unless you are going to be away for more than a month. People are in a rush to get their shots too early and have little protection when the flu season actually strikes in force

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Notify your bank and credit cards about your itinerary!  List the countries you visit as well as any places you fly and might use your debit card at airport, etc. 

We forgot to do this 4 yrs ago and went out to eat the night before our cruise and our dinner payment got denied!  So embarrassing.  Called bank and they had put a freeze on bank account as they saw activity in another state from our residence and assumed our card was stolen.  

So important!  We had something similar happen to us when we went to Bermuda.  

• Like 1

Yes, with th flu shot I meant it was a good idea for her since she is going out of the country and I have to remind my 3 in college to get one. It is not too early to get one though. Our pediatrician always gave them in August and my husband’s office gives them in September. 

I have our passports, I have to drop a return off at the post office, I sent my kids our itinerary..... just found the camera, etc. I’m nearly finished packing, need another swim suit and cover up packed and need to pack shoes. Got the meds packed with extra since it is hurricane season.

Helene, we will see you on board! We are cruising with 6 more for my 50th birthday. We already have chef’s table booked. 

In Cozumel, we bought the $800 passion island package for 12 with the catamaran and a cabana with a butler and private buffet. (We were supposed to have 10 but one couple just dropped out and lost all their money).

In progreso, we haven’t booked anything yet.  We are looking at mi casa su casa or the other private house with pool on beach excursion. 

I’m 4 weeks out from meniscus surgery and stem cell injections in knee, and am in 3x a week physical therapy, so I can’t do anything strenuous, though I think I will be able to leave the walker home. I should pack the cane just in case I guess. 

• Like 1

Helene, ooh, that looks nice!  We are also finally empty nesters as of last year and we 8 are all cruising as adults with no kids!!!! Everyone else has younger kids but they all found babysitters! This is our first cruise with friends, so we are super excited about it. 

And luckily, (I booked this cruise 1.5 years ago) we are aft aft so hopefully it won’t be too hard or too taxing for me to get around since many things are aft. 

2 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Helene, ooh, that looks nice!  We are also finally empty nesters as of last year and we 8 are all cruising as adults with no kids!!!! Everyone else has younger kids but they all found babysitters! This is our first cruise with friends, so we are super excited about it. 

And luckily, (I booked this cruise 1.5 years ago) we are aft aft so hopefully it won’t be too hard or too taxing for me to get around since many things are aft. 

We had an aft a few years ago on the Glory! Loved being close to the elevators but my husband felt the ship move but I didn’t! We have 2 mid ship balconies! Are you on the Facebook sailing page?