Explorer - parts 3 and 4

Travelcat2

I found the series cringe worthy.  All the constant talk about the expense of the ship and everything in it was awful. 

We have a booking on it coming up but I won’t be recommending the series to any of my friends.

The focus on wealth is crass. 

2 hours ago, jillyf said:

I found the series cringe worthy.  All the constant talk about the expense of the ship and everything in it was awful. 

We have a booking on it coming up but I won’t be recommending the series to any of my friends.

The focus on wealth is crass. 

Yes - this was definitely unfortunate but, for whatever reason, the station decided to do a series on the Most Expensive Cruise Ship....... which they had to prove by stating prices.  The previous show that I saw about Explorer was about the building of the ship.

The next program on Explorer is for the Discovery Channel in the U.S.  We were onboard the ship when it was being filmed and, hopefully, they will focus on a different aspect of this lovely hip.  The show, "Mighty Cruise Ships" should be showing within the next few months.

1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

Is it really the most expensive ship or is it just the title of that series? I watched one episode last night with the sound so low that I could barely understand.  Maybe that's a good thing. 

Thanks to Tc2 for providing the link. 

I think it’s probably the most expensive ship on a per-passenger basis.  I’m sure some of the giga-ships cost more to build but they carry 8-10 times the number of passengers that Explorer does...

2 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Is it really the most expensive ship or is it just the title of that series? I watched one episode last night with the sound so low that I could barely understand.  Maybe that's a good thing. 

Thanks to Tc2 for providing the link. 

I just Googled this - as I recall, Explorer cost around $500 million to build...but RCI launched Symphony of the Seas last year and it was $1.35 billion.  So no, Explorer is far from the most expensive ship out there.

I guess those water slides and zip lines don’t come cheap...

Edited by UUNetBill
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess that the title can be taken two ways....... the most expensive cruise ship to sail on or the most expensive (for its size) to build.''

Mr Googler (aka Bill) - do you know what the new Silversea or Seabourn ships cost to build?  I looked up the Silver Moon (new - either about to launch or just launched).  The "contract" to build the ship was 350 million Euro's while Explorer is $450 million.  

The title of the program can be confusing.  In any case, a British television station aired a 4-part series about how much the ship or the cruises cost when Brits, in general, feel that it is impolite to talk about money.  Go figure!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I just finished all four parts of the series. TC, thank you ever so much for providing this for us! It was brilliant! I particularly loved the kitchen segments, with the Sous Chef and Chef de Parties (did I get that one right?) and the prep and tastings.

I was also excited for Cliff and his promotion. How wonderful for him!

And finally, I really enjoyed Mackenzie's music at the end. What a stroke of good luck for John. Whew!

P.S. I have a chandelier that needs cleaning. I now know what to use.

So happy that you enjoyed it!