Elation?

Kri1970

We leave on our first ever cruise, on the Breeze, in a couple months, but I've been looking this week at the 2021 cruise options, thinking to do a cruise with our grown daughters, probably a 4-5 night. I'm seeing some interesting ones on Elation. My concern is, after the Breeze, is Elation going to feel small/old/less than? Has anyone done both fairly recently? 

After the Breeze, the Elation or any one of the oldest Carnival ships will probably feel like a let down, just like the OP suspects.

And for a 1st cruise, it might give off a wrong impression of what sailing is about.  The last time I sailed Fantasy class ships was 12 years ago, felt they were old and tired back then.

Put another way:  you've been driving a new Honda Accord and now you'll be in a 25 year old Chevy (Biscayne maybe).

Edited by evandbob

It depends on the individual, but Fantasy class ships have a significantly different feel than Dream class ships.  This is an over simplification, but as a general rule larger ships have a lot more to do on them than smaller ships.

Personally I like both classes for different reasons. We have a cruise on Paradise in November and a cruise on Magic in December. I am looking forward to both of them, although I will miss the Alchemy Bar on Paradise. 

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

After the Breeze, the Elation or any one of the oldest Carnival ships will probably feel like a let down, just like the OP suspects.

And for a 1st cruise, it might give off a wrong impression of what sailing is about.  The last time I sailed Fantasy class ships was 12 years ago, felt they were old and tired back then.

Put another way:  you've been driving a new Honda Accord and now you'll be in a 25 year old Chevy (Biscayne maybe).

I don’t mean this to sound negative, but you probably aren’t the best source of information since you have stated many times on this site that you don’t like Fantasy class ships. While I respect your opinion, there are a lot of people out there that like Fantasy class ships.

Personally I prefer Fantasy class ships over Vista class ships, which is why my 34th cruise on a Carnival ship will be on Paradise in November. 

• Thanks 1

We cruised on the Breeze and could not wait to go back to the Fantasy Class ships. You might be pleasantly surprised. You won't have the outdoor movies, but it will not be as crowded generally, and we feel like the crew have a more manageable workload, so the service is more personable and better. Or you might not care for the smaller ships, but Carnival gives you a choice, and I'm glad you're giving the smaller ships a try. 

10 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t mean this to sound negative, but you probably aren’t the best source of information since you have stated many times on this site that you don’t like Fantasy class ships. While I respect your opinion, there are a lot of people out there that like Fantasy class ships.

Personally I prefer Fantasy class ships over Vista class ships, which is why my 34th cruise on a Carnival ship will be on Paradise in November. 

Agreed. And reminds us over and over again.

Is this their first cruise?  They won't know what other ships are like.  If you have never been one a ship, the smallest will seem HUGE.  In fact, we sailed MS Seaside in February, and their smallest, MSC Armonia last/this month (a Dorian extended cruise).  We really liked the small ship - just a bit smaller than Fantasy class.  She felt a lot more spacious than Fantasy class, too.  In my opinion, sailing the newest/grandest first is never a good idea.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Is this their first cruise?  They won't know what other ships are like.  If you have never been one a ship, the smallest will seem HUGE.  In fact, we sailed MS Seaside in February, and their smallest, MSC Armonia last/this month (a Dorian extended cruise).  We really liked the small ship - just a bit smaller than Fantasy class.  She felt a lot more spacious than Fantasy class, too.  In my opinion, sailing the newest/grandest first is never a good idea.  EM

It will be  the kids' first cruise (they'll be 23 and 21 respectively at the time), yes. We live in Tampa area and have family in Orlando area, so if we cruise from there, I don't have to pay to park, which is nice. I'm not against a smaller ship, and we did see about the refurb which gained it quite a few things that my oldest will like (waterworks, Alchemy, Guys). 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:21 AM, evandbob said:

Elation crew is fantastic!

• Like 1