Noordam dry dock/ refurbishment?

elainemast

Just wondering if anyone knew if the Noordam will be going to dry dock on September 29th as previously scheduled or has it been rescheduled again. Also does anyone know what will be done to her? Our family is sailing on her next year so we are curious. 

Thanks!

Just ran across an article in the August edition of BC Shipping News and it mentions that the shipyard where she's heading (Seaspan, in Esquimalt, BC) will be installing two exhaust scrubbers.  Had to Google what that is - a double-edged sword, to be sure (good for the air, not so good for the sea).  

3 hours ago, zelker said:

Just ran across an article in the August edition of BC Shipping News and it mentions that the shipyard where she's heading (Seaspan, in Esquimalt, BC) will be installing two exhaust scrubbers.  Had to Google what that is - a double-edged sword, to be sure (good for the air, not so good for the sea).  

Seriously make me consider booking on cruises. Land based still has it issues for sure. It's becoming impossible to travel without leaving a large footprint. 🤔 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/29/thousands-of-ships-could-dump-pollutants-at-sea-to-avoid-dirty-fuel-ban

Edited by DFWGUYZ

20 minutes ago, zelker said:

She just sailed under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver … should be heading towards Victoria and then around the tip of Vancouver Island and into Esquimalt.  👍

Yes, she is, so that long awaited 2019 dry-dock is on and, as of now, she is scheduled for another one in Singapore late next year. That.................does not happen very often

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-122.8/centery:49.2/zoom:9

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, she is, so that long awaited 2019 dry-dock is on and, as of now, she is scheduled for another one in Singapore late next year. That.................does not happen very often

I've been monitoring her on cruisemapper.  🙂  

Do you happen to know if this is the first time she's having the exhaust scrubbers installed or are they replacing them?

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

Do you happen to know if this is the first time she's having the exhaust scrubbers installed or are they replacing them?

Pretty sure she is the only Vista without the scrubber system

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

What is being done next year that couldn't be done this year in British Columbia?

Seems odd to take it out of commission again and miss out on those passenger fares.

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

What is being done next year that couldn't be done this year in British Columbia?

Seems odd to take it out of commission again and miss out on those passenger fares.

GC

Not sure however, she is at least one year plus overdue for her dry-dock, so they have some catching up to do and might be spreading it out over Esquimalt this year and Singapore next year. It is unusual though, for the same ship to go to consecutive years of (non-emergency) dry-docking

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Noordie getting close to Schwartz Bay, the Vancouver Island stop on the BC Ferries' Schwartz Bay-Tsawwassen (mainland B.C.) run

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Noordie getting close to Schwartz Bay, the Vancouver Island stop on the BC Ferries' Schwartz Bay-Tsawwassen (mainland B.C.) run

She's turned west and close to due south of Victoria.  It won't be long now.  Hope someone will post some photos during her 2 week "spa retreat".  😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

She's turned west and close to due south of Victoria.  It won't be long now.  Hope someone will post some photos during her 2 week "spa retreat".  😉

She's got two tugs, Seaspan Raven and Seaspan Osprey alongside her, no doubt assisting her into her dry-dock. Hopefully, they have some R&R planned for her crew at night. Anything beats Freeport!

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-123.407/centery:48.446/zoom:14

1323331.jpg

2967595.jpg

• Like 2

We were on her last week and had the last cruise before the refit. They were busily working on the ship even with passengers on board much to the chagrin of some of the guests. I took some photos of the new lighter look Noordam. I think it will be spectacular when it's done. There will be significant physical alterations to add Explorations Central, a completely revamped and more open Pinnacle Grill (a la Nieuw Amsterdam) and new lounges. 

The photo on the left is the new look.

IMG_20190928_133515.jpg

IMG_20190928_133603.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:38 PM, elainemast said:

Just wondering if anyone knew if the Noordam will be going to dry dock on September 29th as previously scheduled or has it been rescheduled again. Also does anyone know what will be done to her? Our family is sailing on her next year so we are curious. 

Thanks!

Yes, it's in dry dock now.  We are cruising on her on 18/01/20 from Sydney - New Zealand-Sydney so I hope the Signiture Suites have been refubished

8 hours ago, cruiselogged said:

Yes, it's in dry dock now.  We are cruising on her on 18/01/20 from Sydney - New Zealand-Sydney so I hope the Signiture Suites have been refubished

I posted some pics earlier this week. They were working on it while we were aboard the week of 09/22-09/29. It will be beautiful. It is basically being gutted from bow to stern. The transformation will be incredible and it will have the same features, with the exception of Tamarind, as the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were on it after its most recent refit and it's great. The lighter motif is the new carpet. 

IMG_20190928_133358.jpg

IMG_20190928_133436.jpg

IMG_20190928_133515.jpg

IMG_20190928_133556.jpg

IMG_20190928_133603.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MomKris said:

Does the overhaul include cabins, my friend and I are sailing in a balcony cabin next spring, as well as the public spaces?  

My understanding is that it is a complete refit. It is in drydock in Victoria for 2 full weeks and there will be approximately 2,000 workers. Many will be staying onboard during the refit. We got this information from several of the crew. 

Edited by SageGuy
Spelling