Bimmer9 in Norway September 2019

Bimmer09

Hi, if anyone has an interest in Bergen, Alesund, Flam, Stavanger (or London) please visit my latest review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2694840-celebrity-silhouette-norwegian-fjords-sept-1-2019/

Today I am writing about our visit to Bergen

48799399913_e282fa6a1b_k.jpg

Hope you can stop by and say Hi!

Norris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

In my view and as this is the Azamara board, having done both Celebrity and Azamara to Norway, Azamara wins hands down.  So much more immersive as the ships go further north.  Norway is an amazing place that just gets better the further up you go.

Phil

Phil I have no doubt in your assertion.

Carol, during our trip, mentioned Azamara with its long port stays and smaller passenger numbers (not to mention the superior cuisine- which I just did) as being the means to a more immersive visit to beautiful Norway. I personally want to visit the Lofoten Islands but, while I work, am restricted in the length of time I can be away.

We would love to begin a cruise in Greenwich too, having seen the Viking Sky anchored there, as opposed to Southampton.

Carol also ranked the cruise lines she has sailed in this order: Azamara, Princess then Celebrity and I didn't argue.

Thanks for the comment.

Norris

2 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Phil I have no doubt in your assertion.

Carol, during our trip, mentioned Azamara with its long port stays and smaller passenger numbers (not to mention the superior cuisine- which I just did) as being the means to a more immersive visit to beautiful Norway. I personally want to visit the Lofoten Islands but, while I work, am restricted in the length of time I can be away.

We would love to begin a cruise in Greenwich too, having seen the Viking Sky anchored there, as opposed to Southampton.

Carol also ranked the cruise lines she has sailed in this order: Azamara, Princess then Celebrity and I didn't argue.

Thanks for the comment.

Norris

I'm just saying how I have seen it. If you are posting this Celebrity cruise experience on the Azamara board as the definitive review then you are missing it. There is no doubt that Flåm, Ålesund and the like are beautiful, but go and experience the Azamara cruise. So much more. Of course there are many that are happy to do a drive by of Norway on a big ship, but as I said, totally miss so much and it's not really the same thing. I just wanted to put that out there for those coming to this board and reading of your Celebrity experience. 

Phil 

• Like 2

I have to agree that the Azamara Norway cruise is fabulous.  Our captain went into a small fjord, turned the ship 360 degrees at the end of the fjord (seemed a tight fit!) and sailed back out.  A gentleman who we met through shared table at dinner had been fishing on a shorex.  His catch was served to our table that night for dinner.  I can’t see other large ships being able to either of these!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

I have to agree that the Azamara Norway cruise is fabulous.  Our captain went into a small fjord, turned the ship 360 degrees at the end of the fjord (seemed a tight fit!) and sailed back out.  A gentleman who we met through shared table at dinner had been fishing on a shorex.  His catch was served to our table that night for dinner.  I can’t see other large ships being able to either of these!

The cruise into Trollfjord, the 180 degree turn and cruise back out was very special. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, debcip said:

Norris, 

We are going on the Azamara Norway intensive next year, and I’m starting to work on our activities—am looking forward to reading your take on things—Thanks!

Debbie 

(NJ via PA!)

I’m sure you’ll love it. Azamara make it so special - not just the 360 turn, but other little touches like the captain’s friend waving a Norwegian flag from a bridge we passed under, the ship stopping for the chef to go ashore to buy cheese, then again to buy berries. We loved it.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, QueenP said:

Looking forward to reading Norris! See you next year on Az!

Thank you for the enthusiasm!

Quest, October 3, 2020 Rome to Venice with all 3 ships in Koper.

Norris

On 9/27/2019 at 5:51 AM, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks for the comment.

Norris

I'd rank the major lines that we've done in this order: Cunard, HAL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, MSC & Carnival. We've got 10 weeks to our first Azamara cruise but we're hoping that they'll top that list. 

Incidentally, we travelled from Bergen to Kirkenes and back on the Hurtigruten coastal ferry which we really enjoyed.

• Like 1