A positive result from customer services

Lovely other

Just a little positive post for a wet and rainy Sunday in Ireland. 

Some me of you may recall I sailed solo for the first time in June and was horrified when I received my guarantee cabin assignment on deck 1. Having an autism spectrum condition I struggle to make phone calls, but with your encouragement I did so and a lovely guy at customer services called from the UK to Seattle and got me a nice move up a few decks to a spa inside on deck 10. I was very happy with that. 

So fast forward to this month and I booked a last minute trip departing next week! Inside guarantee again as I’m not a particular flush with cash. Lo and behold I got the same deck 1 cabin assignment as last time 😂 ... same phone call (I’m getting better at those now) made and now I’m on deck 11 😎

TBH I know I’m damn lucky to even be able to cruise 🚢 even once a year, never mind twice so the cabin issue might seem trivial to some. But the way that HAL deals with the slight quirks of my autism is exceptionally good. It’s not an easy thing to explain on the phone because even I can’t fully explain my aversion to low decks but they deal with it so well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lovely other said:

Some me of you may recall I sailed solo for the first time in June and was horrified when I received my guarantee cabin assignment on deck 1. Having an autism spectrum condition I struggle to make phone calls, but with your encouragement I did so and a lovely guy at customer services called from the UK to Seattle and got me a nice move up a few decks to a spa inside on deck 10. I was very happy with that. 

So fast forward to this month and I booked a last minute trip departing next week! Inside guarantee again as I’m not a particular flush with cash. Lo and behold I got the same deck 1 cabin assignment as last time 😂 ... same phone call (I’m getting better at those now) made and now I’m on deck 11 😎

TBH I know I’m damn lucky to even be able to cruise 🚢 even once a year, never mind twice so the cabin issue might seem trivial to some. But the way that HAL deals with the slight quirks of my autism is exceptionally good. It’s not an easy thing to explain on the phone because even I can’t fully explain my aversion to low decks but they deal with it so well. 

Bless you for traveling by yourself with this complication.  My son also has Autism (Asperger's) and traveling can sometimes be difficult.  I understand completely.  So glad that HAL could accommodate you.  I'll be working this week with Seattle to see if they can make arrangements for us about a dining situation, which has come up on our cruise.  My PCC assures me that all will be well, so I hope our story ends as well as yours. 

Have a lovely cruise.  

I'm glad that HAL has been able to accommodate your needs--twice. But it seems to me that you should reconsider booking guarantee cabins in the future. The entire point of a guarantee is that you can end up with any cabin within that category (or higher). You should not assume that you will be able to switch cabins if you don't like your first assignment, whether or not it's due to your autism. If you need to get a cabin on a higher deck, you should book a cabin there to begin with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DougK said:

I'm glad that HAL has been able to accommodate your needs--twice. But it seems to me that you should reconsider booking guarantee cabins in the future. The entire point of a guarantee is that you can end up with any cabin within that category (or higher). You should not assume that you will be able to switch cabins if you don't like your first assignment, whether or not it's due to your autism. If you need to get a cabin on a higher deck, you should book a cabin there to begin with.

Agree - it generally is not much more expensive to select your specific cabin PLUS you might not get so lucky next time and end up being stuck in a cabin you dislike for the entire cruise.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:24 AM, Lovely other said:

Thank you for sharing a good news story! I understand completely why you're constrained to book your inside cabins on a guarantee basis. And it warms my heart that HAL is so understanding and accommodating. They earn a lot of goodwill by going beyond what's legally required and doing the right thing.

Here's hoping that all goes as well for the Republic of Ireland once Brexit becomes a reality!