Ship Time vs Land Time in Cabo

SuziQT

I found a website called time zone converter. Mexico changes their daylight saving times on a different date then the US. Thus it is necessary to plug in the exact date your are questioning. In December when I am sailing Cabo will be one hour ahead of Los Angeles/ship time. This is important so we don't miss our self planned excursion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuziQT said:

This is important so we don't miss our self planned excursion.

you won't have any issues, most private companies give you specific instructions where to meet and what time. They do these tours every day and know the ships schedule and time better than most guests

15 hours ago, coevan said:

you won't have any issues, most private companies give you specific instructions where to meet and what time. They do these tours every day and know the ships schedule and time better than most guests

Ignore Coevan. He gave this exact reply to me and was incorrect. 

thankfully I booked a whale watch tour for an hour later. 

ship time and local Cabo time we’re not in sync on our March 2019 cruise. On this cruise, CA switched to DST and Cabo does so in April. 

19 hours ago, SuziQT said:

Sailing on the Panorama in December. Is the ship time the same as real time in Cabo?

Cabo goes to "winter time" in October.  US one week later.  Thus in December there will be a 1 hour difference between local time in Cabo (no such thing as "real" time, BTW) and ship's time if leaving from West Coast US port.

Unless, and this is the source of much confusion, the captain decides it is best to switch to local time.   That frequently occurs if the ship is staying in a foreign port over night (Bermuda cruises for example) or if there is a significant difference between local time and ship time and all of the ports on the itinerary.

I will note here that currently Roatan, Honduras is 2 hours earlier than East Coast port based ship's ship time and there is NO change of time on Carnival ships when in Roatan.

I've been on this itinerary several times, depending on the time of year and the captain, sometimes we have changed time for Cabo and sometimes we haven't.  We were told it's up to the captain how he wants to handle it.  But all the vendors know better than the cruisers what the 'local' time is vs. the 'ship' time.

Unless the ship is transitioning to a new homeport, the SHIPS time never changes. It is always the same time as its homeport. If the Captain mentions any times in port it is purely for the convenience of his passengers. As others have said the people running the different venues and excursions know the ship schedules very well and will direct you from the port.

• Haha 1

Just be aware that once you are in port, your cell phones, fitbits, and other electronic devices may automatically switch to Cabo time. 

Today the only thing I wanted to do was head over to Gordo Lele’s for a couple of tacos. If you want to get away from the touristy spots, google him and head to his place. 2 Carne Asada tacos and a beer....about $4.30

5 hours ago, cathyz said:

But all the vendors know better than the cruisers what the 'local' time is vs. the 'ship' time.

exactly what I was saying

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Just be aware that once you are in port, your cell phones, fitbits, and other electronic devices may automatically switch to Cabo time. 

unless you go to settings on your phone and turn off auto adjust. The time will stay the same

On 9/30/2019 at 4:23 PM, glrounds said:

Unless the ship is transitioning to a new homeport, the SHIPS time never changes. It is always the same time as its homeport. If the Captain mentions any times in port it is purely for the convenience of his passengers. As others have said the people running the different venues and excursions know the ship schedules very well and will direct you from the port.

100% not true.  We were on the Splendor the week of Labor Day and the night before Mazatlan we got a print out to change our clocks ahead one hour.  The CD joked about taking an hour from of trip but promised to give it back to us.   

time.jpg

Edited by SarahJeanneSays
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SarahJeanneSays said:

100% not true.  We were on the Splendor the week of Labor Day and the night before Mazatlan we got a print out to change our clocks ahead one hour.  The CD joked about taking an hour from of trip but promised to give it back to us.   

time.jpg

Sarah, did you notice any of the clocks, located all over the ship, CHANGED ? Of course not. As I stated in my post, any directive you're given as a passenger is for YOUR CONVENIENCE to put you in tune with the ports you are visiting. It has nothing to do with Ship's time. All communication, navigation, and crew scheduling depend on that one UNCHANGED time the ship has.

Edited by glrounds

13 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Sarah, did you notice any of the clocks, located all over the ship, CHANGED ? Of course not. 

I for sure noticed a digital clock by the elevators had changed.  Why would we change our own clocks but the ship wouldn't?  Makes no sense.  No one would be on time for anything.

Edited by SarahJeanneSays

4 hours ago, glrounds said:

Sarah, did you notice any of the clocks, located all over the ship, CHANGED ? Of course not. As I stated in my post, any directive you're given as a passenger is for YOUR CONVENIENCE to put you in tune with the ports you are visiting. It has nothing to do with Ship's time. All communication, navigation, and crew scheduling depend on that one UNCHANGED time the ship has.

I’m on the Splendor now, and the ship clocks absolutely changed, as did the HUB app, the night before Mazatlan. Leaving Puerto Vallarta tonight we got the letter to set back an hour, which will put us back on PDT.

Now maybe this hasn’t happened for all cruises, but it sure did for mine.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I’m on the Splendor now, and the ship clocks absolutely changed, as did the HUB app, the night before Mazatlan. Leaving Puerto Vallarta tonight we got the letter to set back an hour, which will put us back on PDT.

Now maybe this hasn’t happened for all cruises, but it sure did for mine.

Thank you. Further proof to ignore COEVAN. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 5:50 PM, SuziQT said:

Sailing on the Panorama in December. Is the ship time the same as real time in Cabo?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but have you joined the roll call group?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2525508-carnival-panorama-christmas-122119/

I noticed that you are sailing on the Panorama on December 21st.

Carry on.

11 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Thank you. Further proof to ignore COEVAN. 

Why are you so rude? I never said anything about clocks changing time. All I said is the tour operators know the time of your tour. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, coevan said:

Why are you so rude? I never said anything about clocks changing time. All I said is the tour operators know the time of your tour. 

They made you take the bullet for me, coevan  LOL . . . . I still say "for the convenience of the passengers in getting to their tours and excursions on time"

1 hour ago, coevan said:

I'm not rude. You give factually incorrect answers regarding ship time versus local time and your answers can cost people time and money.

And then you argue "my kid ran tours, blah blah blah" like you're some kind of tour/excursion savant.

I call you out specifically because you gave me the same reply last March and my research contradicted your statement(s).

Had I taken your "advice" I would have missed my excursion and lost $150.

So yeah, I am calling you out so others will learn to avoid listening to your sage advice because you're giving incorrect data.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

They made you take the bullet for me, coevan  LOL . . . . I still say "for the convenience of the passengers in getting to their tours and excursions on time"

They only changed the clocks one hour ahead before Mazatlan. They did not change it for PV, which is Central Time, and 2 hours ahead of California, so your logic of convenience for excursions goes out the window. So the only port, out of 3, that we actually matched times was Mazatlan.

My Fitbit, IPhone and IPad, are still sitting 2 hours ahead of ship time (Pacific), because I’m to lazy to correct them.

Since I am staying on to do the TP to Singapore, I will really need to pay attention to the ship clocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

They only changed the clocks one hour ahead before Mazatlan. They did not change it for PV, which is Central Time, and 2 hours ahead of California, so your logic of convenience for excursions goes out the window. So the only port, out of 3, that we actually matched times was Mazatlan.

My Fitbit, IPhone and IPad, are still sitting 2 hours ahead of ship time (Pacific), because I’m to lazy to correct them.

Since I am staying on to do the TP to Singapore, I will really need to pay attention to the ship clocks.

Okay, I may have erred .. . whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks. 🙂