Halibut Fishing

disneylover89

dyeadave, I asked elsewhere with no response, but you seem to know about fishing in AK, so I'll ask again here. We will be on AK cruise end of August 2020. Husband wants to go fishing (I'll do something else). We have stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Which of these would be better for fishing, and is Halibut or Salmon fishing better at that time of year. Any help is greatly appreciated!

There is info on run times at various locations on the Alaska Fish & Game site. Just use the drop down to change locations.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSportFishingInforuntiming.main&chart=runjnos

The guys in our family used to go to Ketchikan for their annual fishing  trip ( mid to late June).  

About 5 yrs ago they switched to Sitka.  They were successful in both locations; just happen to enjoy the lodge in Sitka more.

Also, visit the Alaska forum of tripadvisor.  Under Top Questions, there's info on fishing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Baronof in Ketchikan. Awesome day. Just 4 of us. First class. Had it packaged no sent home. A lot of bats around us jealous as we were catching fish. Captain was a school teacher who did this in summer.  I did a lot of research on this and glad we went with them.  Provided with bibs and boots and a boxed lunch.  This was mid July 

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

Edited by Krisco
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, Krisco said:

Baronof in Ketchikan. Awesome day. Just 4 of us. First class. Had it packaged no sent home. A lot of bats around us jealous as we were catching fish. Captain was a school teacher who did this in summer.  I did a lot of research on this and glad we went with them.  Provided with bibs and boots and a boxed lunch.  This was mid July 

IMG_6340.JPG

Bad typing on a phone.  We had a lot of boats around us, not bats.  And yes had processed and sent home. We had to throw back some halibut as could only take back 1 per person. We probably caught at least 5 more and would put the small ones back if we caught larger.  The cod other fish had more of a limit.  It was delicious.  

• 3 months later...

Google fishing guides in ISP, or if you are a fisherman and adventurous, rent a boat from Icy Straight lodge and fish on your own. The bay is usually calm. They will tell you where to go. There is a tackle store in downtown Hoonah. You can also fish a lot of places from shore in ISP near the ship dock. The tackle store will tell you the lures to use.

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We will be in Sitka in June and my brother in law was hoping to go halibut fishing...the ship excursions only offer salmon fishing so is halibut fishing even possible? 

The guys in our extended family go to Sitka every June for a few days. Always successful with salmon and halibut. Fill the freezer until next yr. They do an all-inclusive at Strawberry Lodge.

If you look at the Sitka Visitor Guide there's a blurb about fishing, plus in the Directory portion there's a list of vendors.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend 49th Fathom Charters out of Juneau!  I fished with Captain Shelby twice last summer, with great success each time...

The second charter our boat went out for Halibut.  The boat had our limits on Halibut within 1 hour - we switched over to rockfish, again limiting...we even tried for some salmon on our way back in to the marina!

I have done many charters in Alaska - many decent, but none match the 2 I have done with 49th Fathom Charters :O)

Lori

image.png

Edited by Lolo4564
Trying to delete the phone number, etc...

Just be prepared to pay a pretty hefty fee to have the fish processed and sent home. My husband did this a few years ago. He caught halibut and salmon, then had them smoked and sent home. I had my reservations about the fish arriving home, or what condition it would be in, but all was good. Delish!!