Is There a "Chart Room Equivalent" on the QE?

jimdee3636

My wife and I were on a 21-night QM2 sailing this past summer---our first Cunard experience. Today, we booked a 19-night QE sailing for September of 2020 (Vancouver to Tokyo). As we did on the QM2, we'll be dining each night in the Britannia, late seating. We're martini and Manhattan drinkers and very much enjoyed our pre-dinner cocktails in the QM2 Chart Room---possibly the best bar we've ever experienced at sea. I've of course seen the QE deck plans, but I don't have a sense of which bar or bars (if any) are the equivalent of the Chart Room in terms of sophisticated ambiance and entertainment. Since we like to walk directly from the bar to the restaurant, I'm only looking for something on decks 2 or 3. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Hello

Sorry to inform you.  There is NO QM2 Chart room equivalent on the QE which is one reason I don't sail on that ship.  There used to be a beautiful Chart Room on the QV with live music  such as you find on the QM2 Chart Room  but it was sadly replaced by  the Britannia Club dining room during the refit..     I won't sail on that ship now either and it used to be a favorite.   I stick to the Queen Mary.   

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

The place for cocktails on both QE and QV is the Commodore Club. Unfortunately, this is just about as far away as you can get from the Britannia Restaurant. On the plus side, it's nearly twice the size of its namesake on QM2.

The only other bars serving cocktails are the Golden Lion Pub on Deck 2 and the Midships Bar (might be called Gin Bar now) on Deck 3.

I really like the midships bar on QE (can't remember what's its called) and I have spent many happy evenings there. Having said that I usually head to the Commodore Club on QE before dinner as the view, the atmosphere and the drinks are great. The midships bar I tend to visit after dinner. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I do like the convenience of walking from the bar to the restaurant, so we'll probably give the Midships Bar and/or the Cafe Carinthia a try on the first couple of nights. The Commodore Club does look great, though. Maybe we'll get there earlier than usual one night and see the sunset (it will be dark where we're sailing at 7:30PM when we usually like to arrive for pre-dinner drinks).

QM2's Chart Room has spoiled me. Beautiful space and always a good variety of music offerings.

On my QE cruise this June I was very disappointed at the lack of pre-dinner music in a lounge. I had early seating for dinner and the only music was a so-so piano player in the atrium. I went to Midships bar not knowing it was only gin and fizz, so I couldn't have what I wanted. So I asked for a champagne cocktail. Despite being "fizz" and having a big list of bitters on the menu, they couldn't make a champagne cocktail. Hello, that's a classic fizz drink. So I had a glass of their champagne. Please, Cunard, bring back Veuve. Laurent Perrier had almost no taste, and on top of that the popcorn they serve there is coated in wasabi. Who serves such a strong taste with champagne????? I had to go to the bar and ask for a glass of water to clear the taste.

Carinthia couldn't seem to comprehend a daiquiri that wasn't strawberry. The other problem with midship and Carinthia is that they're right on the hallway. The pub is a well designed, but when I'm dressed up for dinner, I want a more sophisticated lounge.

Thank God for the Commodore club where the drinks were good and the atmosphere lovely, especially after dinner, when there was an excellent pianist. Worth the long walk to dinner.

I think finding a pre-dinner bar was the only thing about QE that was disappointing. Other than that, I loved the ship.

I will be on QE on Friday, only for 4 nights, but I will be in the Commodore Club every night (not all night).  I love the Commodore Club on QM2, but QE has a couple of advantages.  You don't have to worry about banging your head on the slopped walls and for me the best bit, they don't need to close the curtains at night so you can see out.

I love all these comments. They remind me that drinkers tend to be traditionalists and, to a degree, perfectionists. They know what they like and they expect to get it properly made and properly served. But when these things are done right, they're appreciative. And loyal. If a drinker finds a particular venue, or a particular bartender, to his liking, he or she will keep going back. That's why my wife and I had pre-dinner drinks all 21 nights of our QM2 sailing at the Chart Room. It was great the first night and we saw no reason to change.

I was a bit disappointed, though, that they didn't give us a gold star for perfect attendance. Maybe next time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

I love all these comments. They remind me that drinkers tend to be traditionalists and, to a degree, perfectionists. They know what they like and they expect to get it properly made and properly served. But when these things are done right, they're appreciative. And loyal. If a drinker finds a particular venue, or a particular bartender, to his liking, he or she will keep going back. That's why my wife and I had pre-dinner drinks all 21 nights of our QM2 sailing at the Chart Room. It was great the first night and we saw no reason to change.

I was a bit disappointed, though, that they didn't give us a gold star for perfect attendance. Maybe next time.

DH and I had after-dinner drinks in the Chart Room most of the 21 nights of our sailing. We would wait until the Britannia second seating started and then took our seats for the evening. I think a couple of nights we went to a show so we were a little late. The wait staff wondered where we were. And we were by no means the only regulars.🙂