HAL Shutout from CNN Article

Windy56

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

I found it interesting that the writer said that Oceania is going to 'all' six continents. When I went to school, we were taught there are seven continents. 

Still are. (I just checked -- one never knows as things change. For example, there's one less planet orbiting the sun now than when I was in school.... :classic_wacko:)  

Good catch...!

10 hours ago, Windy56 said:

I was surprised to read that HAL was not on the fairly long list on CNN ‘s article titled “The Best Round-the-world Cruises for 2020” published today on their news feed. They seemed to list a range of price points and HAL’s absence from the list was notable to me, at least. 🤔

Thanks.

Note that the MSC Magnifica (Pinnacle-class size) is featured. As is the Island Princess.

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The first step of many writers/journalists in writing an article such as this would be to get in touch with corporate PR.

Often to see who will give them a free trip in exchange for a positive article.

8 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

As was just mentioned on a another thread, PLEASE use the quote function correctly. :classic_angry: The way you have quoted me above, it looks like I am the one who said "Often to see who will give them a free trip in exchange for a positive article."

While I'm sure that happens on occasion, there are also reputable writers and reporters who adhere to the rules such as either clearly stating when they were provided with something for free OR who do not ask for anything like what you are suggesting...

When you quote someone, do NOT type in the box where the quoted text appears. It's pretty simple, really....

• Thanks 1

Background articles on just about anything that would interest potential customers always seem to follow the advertising or freebies. While the articles are often interesting , they cant be considered definitive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zyc said:

Background articles on just about anything that would interest potential customers always seem to follow the advertising or freebies. While the articles are often interesting , they cant be considered definitive.

And I couldn’t imagine anyone basing such a major decision on a media article.  A world cruise isn’t a jar of tomato sauce.  I may read it, but would treat it as a snippet of information.

• Like 2

I note that the article states “Here are 10 of the best.........” the important words are “of the.” The article does not state “Here are the 10 best around the world cruises.” I think everyone is taking this too seriously. Being left off the list does not mean HAL isn’t one of the best. HAL, for whatever reason, just wasn’t covered in the article. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

I note that the article states “Here are 10 of the best.........” the important words are “of the.” The article does not state “Here are the 10 best around the world cruises.” I think everyone is taking this too seriously. Being left off the list does not mean HAL isn’t one of the best. HAL, for whatever reason, just wasn’t covered in the article. 

Ummmm, I’m willing to hazard a guess that while you may not be taking it seriously, HAL is. This kind of exposure and free advertising, in a growing market, is valuable to the cruise line. Their 2020 itinerary was unique enough to result in the GWV being sold out in a really short period of time. However, being left out of the article suggests that they don’t have the “player” status they work so hard to promote to future world cruisers. We have done two full world cruises with HAL and can attest to the rapidly aging and in many cases declining health of their repeat guests. HAL knows the importance of wooing the market of newly retired with disposable income. An omission like this one does not work in their favour.

• Like 1