HAL Shutout from CNN Article

Windy56

I was surprised to read that HAL was not on the fairly long list on CNN ‘s article titled “The Best Round-the-world Cruises for 2020” published today on their news feed. They seemed to list a range of price points and HAL’s absence from the list was notable to me, at least. 🤔

17 minutes ago, Windy56 said:

I was surprised to read that HAL was not on the fairly long list on CNN ‘s article titled “The Best Round-the-world Cruises for 2020” published today on their news feed. They seemed to list a range of price points and HAL’s absence from the list was notable to me, at least. 🤔

Can't locate the article to which you are referring.  There is a 2015 CNN piece that omits HAL and seems to focus the luxury cruise lines,

23 minutes ago, S1drfl said:

Thank you.  Again, CNN seems to focus on the upscale lines although it does include Costa, Princess and MSC.  Don't understand why HAL is not included as, in my opinion, it provides a better option than the latter three.

Appreciate your entry. Saw the same article first thing this morning.  Despite the snub-- while not a 'luxury line' we deem HAL quite better than some listed AND we are taking, and are going to enjoy, the WC 2020.

1 hour ago, doublebzz said:

Thank you.  Again, CNN seems to focus on the upscale lines although it does include Costa, Princess and MSC.  Don't understand why HAL is not included as, in my opinion, it provides a better option than the latter three.

Hmmm.  Perhaps because all those other lines have production shows :).

Hank

• Like 1

Mmmmm, I think HAL has acquired a reputation of building less than exciting ships and sailing with a much older and less physically able demographic. I’m not saying that I necessarily agree with that assessment, but in the realm of world cruising, HAL seems to be losing its  lustre.

Edited by Windy56
Spelling

8 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Interesting thought.  How many different production shows do they perform on a 100+ day cruise?

Quite a few very traditional shows of singing and dancing and in our opinion they ranged from painful to barely tolerable. HAL, at least on the WORLD cruises, is doing the same kind of shows they did 20 years ago on their other ships. Four singers. Six dancers. 

Am I splitting journalistic hairs here?  I have to wonder about the level of journalism here when they call these "Around the World cruises" and I happen to have bookings on 2 of them.  While I am going around the world (including some rail segments) neither of my cruises goes around the world.

Crystal Serenity world cruise goes from Fort Lauderdale to Rome.  A very nice cruise but not around the world.  I'm on the segments from Los Angeles to Sydney.

QM2 world is a big loop from Southampton (or New York) to Sydney and back.  I'm on from Sydney to New York.  A very nice circle around Australia and Africa but ny no means around the world.

HAL's world cruise is longer than I can be away from home but it truly goes around the world and to me SHOULD have been mentioned in "Around the World" cruises.

Roy

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I gotta wonder, does the omission have anything to do with HAL's advertising spend on CNN? Might be a nice exercise for any journalism major to ferret out the answer.

Or with the fact that HAL doesn't have CNN News on the TVs any longer?  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Am I splitting journalistic hairs here?  I have to wonder about the level of journalism here when they call these "Around the World cruises" and I happen to have bookings on 2 of them.  While I am going around the world (including some rail segments) neither of my cruises goes around the world.

Crystal Serenity world cruise goes from Fort Lauderdale to Rome.  A very nice cruise but not around the world.  I'm on the segments from Los Angeles to Sydney.

QM2 world is a big loop from Southampton (or New York) to Sydney and back.  I'm on from Sydney to New York.  A very nice circle around Australia and Africa but ny no means around the world.

HAL's world cruise is longer than I can be away from home but it truly goes around the world and to me SHOULD have been mentioned in "Around the World" cruises.

Roy

Good point.🤔

You can always write to the author and make your case.  The article is "10 of the best around-the-world cruises departing over the next two years," so it's an opinion piece, and they don't represent that it's an exhaustive list.

I found it interesting that the writer said that Oceania is going to 'all' six continents. When I went to school, we were taught there are seven continents. In 2020, HAL is going to the one the article apparently missed. It won't be the first time, either. 

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

I found it interesting that the writer said that Oceania is going to 'all' six continents. When I went to school, we were taught there are seven continents. In 2020, HAL is going to the one the article apparently missed. It won't be the first time, either. 

As of 2022 HAL will no longer have any ships that will be allowed to go near Antarctica.  

Hank

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As of 2022 HAL will no longer have any ships that will be allowed to go near Antarctica.  

I'm aware of that. However, it doesn't change the fact that there are seven continents, not six as stated in the article. 
The article also spoke of one ship that had an ice strengthened hull, so could go to Antarctica. It did not mention whether or not that ship meets the new requirements, but that is beside the point I made. 

The first step of many writers/journalists in writing an article such as this would be to get in touch with corporate PR. Given that several other Carnival brands are mentioned in this write-up (Princess, Costa, Cunard, Seabourn), I wonder if the writer was guided to feature them rather than HAL. Does anyone know whether HAL runs its own PR department or would enquiries go to some central office?

I often wonder if Carnival isn't more or less "sunsetting" HAL -- keep it running as long as it's profitable, but don't put a lot into it. 

Alternatively, a different explanation might be that HAL already has a loyal cadre of World cruise passengers and has no need to "promote" itself in that regard, at least.

Edited by cruisemom42