How does Izumi work?

Hi all!

just booked our next cruise and were looking to try Izumi. I was on the Cruise Planner and saw it was $39/person, but also said it was a la carte. Did some research online but couldn’t find any clear answer. Would love your input! Thank you!

30 minutes ago, 90007012 said:

Thank you! It’s going to be the Mariner — seems like it’ll be hibachi! Trying to sleuth out what all is included for the meal. Thanks again!

The hibachi part is a fixed price and the sushi is per item.

42 minutes ago, 90007012 said:

Thank you! It’s going to be the Mariner — seems like it’ll be hibachi! Trying to sleuth out what all is included for the meal. Thanks again!

On the Hibachi there will be two price levels.

$39 will get you a single protein. Steak, chicken, or shrimp. The combination is around $5 more. Go with that. They add in lobster, scallops, filet, and something else. 

Whatever you choose, it will be way to much. Go hungry 

From Harmony

20191010_223519.thumb.jpg.071df5acf023b0ee75c458c58c804e09.jpg

Oh, and you can mix the combo up however you want. 

20191010_223451.thumb.jpg.61dc9fb287f54122421e59eeb25fb8c4.jpg

20191010_223503.thumb.jpg.38f0df9f7fbbd49f306c93d3fabaa623.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

my Wife and I will be on adventurer in May 2020 and it will be our first time on rccl. So I was wondering about Izumi as well.  If I just want to go and get sushi and not do it as a specialty did in I can do that? Just as price per item? 

20 minutes ago, cruze610 said:

my Wife and I will be on adventurer in May 2020 and it will be our first time on rccl. So I was wondering about Izumi as well.  If I just want to go and get sushi and not do it as a specialty did in I can do that? Just as price per item? 

I am not sure what you mean by "not do it as a specialty", but you pay for sushi by the order.  The menu with prices is posted right above your post.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am not sure what you mean by "not do it as a specialty", but you pay for sushi by the order.  The menu with prices is posted right above your post.

What I mean is not pay the fee for the hibachi.  Whatever the fixed price may be.  And instead of doing the hibachi just going for sushi and paying per item. 

6 minutes ago, cruze610 said:

What I mean is not pay the fee for the hibachi.  Whatever the fixed price may be.  And instead of doing the hibachi just going for sushi and paying per item. 

Adventure does not have hibachi.  🙂 

Ok. So how does it work on adventure?  We just booked and I’m just starting to learn. Sorry for all the questions.  After 19 cruises with Princess we finally decided it was time to try something different so we need to learn a whole new process.  

Just now, cruze610 said:

Ok. So how does it work on adventure?  We just booked and I’m just starting to learn. Sorry for all the questions.  After 19 cruises with Princess we finally decided it was time to try something different so we need to learn a whole new process.  

Just show up and place an order ala carte

Just now, John&LaLa said:

The location is right on the Promenade,  no separation, everybody walks by and checks you out. 

Well, maybe it's just me. 😉

I’m ok with that. I’d not want to go for a full dinner anyway. Just a snack in the afternoon. Or maybe for lunch one day.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruze610 said:

Oh so Izumi isn’t a “specialty restaurant that has a cover”?

Not last time we went. I may have read that some of the ships are doing a fixed price sushi menu now. We dont go back till December. If you have a dining pkg, you are allowed around $35 to spend

Edited by John&LaLa

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Not last time we went. I may have read that some of the ships are doing a fixed price sushi menu now. We dont go back till December 

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions.   After cruising several times a year we haven’t gone on a cruise since 2013 and it feels like it’s all new to me again and on a different line to boot.  Very excited.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruze610 said:

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions.   After cruising several times a year we haven’t gone on a cruise since 2013 and it feels like it’s all new to me again and on a different line to boot.  Very excited.  

To further confuse you, some of the ships that don't have Hibachi will offer hot rocks to cook tableside. We did that on Serenade this past spring. We did that as part of a 3 night dining pkg

Oh, and you're welcome. Enjoy Royal

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruze610 said:

I’m ok with that. I’d not want to go for a full dinner anyway. Just a snack in the afternoon. Or maybe for lunch one day.  

The waiter explained to us that it was designed as an "Izumi Express". 🙄

But you will have no problem just dropping in for some sushi.

• Thanks 1

might I suggest  doing the sushi making class?   you make  like 5 different kinds and then can eat it right then, or take away for later( although I don't suggest waiting more than 24 hours to eat it since the in room coolers may not   keep it at a safe temperature.) 

it's a LOT of fun, and you get a nice variety of types as well.  

I also second the hot rocks.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The waiter explained to us that it was designed as an "Izumi Express". 🙄

But you will have no problem just dropping in for some sushi.

That makes sense, but way to much seating in my week of observations 

Last April Serenade did not offer hot rocks at lunch time. I was a bit disappointed, but the a la carte lunch menu was very good anyway.

During a previous Izumi thread someone mentioned that you can get takeout.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:12 AM, John&LaLa said:

To further confuse you, some of the ships that don't have Hibachi will offer hot rocks to cook tableside. We did that on Serenade this past spring. We did that as part of a 3 night dining pkg

Oh, and you're welcome. Enjoy Royal

Did you like the hot rocks? What sorts of things do they cook on them? I have never seen that before.

10 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Did you like the hot rocks? What sorts of things do they cook on them? I have never seen that before.

We enjoy the hot rocks.  We've had beef, chicken, shrimp, potatoes, veggies, etc.