Transportation port in Venice to Marco Polo?

MikeNKim

Hi all.   I tried the MSC website and can’t find anything and am still waiting for a email response but figured I would try here

i am wanting to book a cruise with them in and out of Venice.    I can’t find what the earliest flight home I can book and if they provide transportation to the airport after the cruise?

the cruise is set to arrive back in Venice for 7:30 and the only flight available to me home would leave at 12:30pm

Thank you

kim

This is probably the wrong thing to say, but some friends of ours were stuck out in the channel and could not dock in Venice due to fog (this was in October). Their flight was around 12pm but the ship didn't get clearance to dock until around 2pm. Subsequent overnight stay in Venice Mestre and re-booking of flights (previous flights were direct, these were indirect and turned a 3 hour journey into 9). Interestingly, after a bit of a fight, their travel insurance covered the £500 costs incurred.

I believe fog is a moderately common occurrence in Venice. It wouldn't put me off booking a 12.30pm flight either, but I live much closer to Venice and a number of low-cost carriers could get me out of there.

Anyway, things like that can happen any time, any port. Something is just sticking in my mind that Venice might be prone to it. Something to bear in mind. 

2 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

Hi all.   I tried the MSC website and can’t find anything and am still waiting for a email response but figured I would try here

i am wanting to book a cruise with them in and out of Venice.    I can’t find what the earliest flight home I can book and if they provide transportation to the airport after the cruise?

the cruise is set to arrive back in Venice for 7:30 and the only flight available to me home would leave at 12:30pm

Thank you

kim

You should be fine but book your taxi in advance.dont waste any time in airport .

4 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

Thank you

kim

Venice is not a very predictable Port for debarkation. We were supposed to arrive once at 7.30 in Venice with an MSC ship, but we have only docked at around 11.00. Debarkation was chaotic. Many people lost their flights. We had train tickets leaving from Santa Lucía Station at 12.30. We almost did not make it. We had to take a taxi to the next train station ( I think is called Mestre) in order to make it.

I would not book a flight out of Venice before 16.00 on debarkation day. I would rather stay one night in Venice and take my flight the next day if there are no options. 

Fog can most definitely be an issue!  We were scheduled to depart on a cruise out of Venice in November, and were instead bused 2 hours away!      Not an ideal way to begin a cruise....

I would stay an extra night in Venice if I could not get a later flight out...  Why stress and ruin an otherwise nice cruise??

Happy Cruising

There are several modes of transportation from Venice to (VCE) Marco Polo International Airport.

1. Vaporetto Taxi (most expensive)
  2. Taxi/Cab (expensive)
  3. Airport Transfer from MSC (booked like an excursion)
  4. Get to Piazza le Rome and catch the AVTO bus to VCE. (least expensive)

We completed our cruise with MSC on Saturday (Oct 12). We were scheduled to dock in Venice at 9 am but were told the evening before that we will be delayed by 1 hour (ETA 10 am). We arrived near the mouth of the channel to Venice around 8:30 am but because of fog, the PA announcement said we were looking at ETA of 12 noon. Passengers started to call their travel agent or airline CS line and started rebooking their outbound flights. We were fortunate that our flight our of Venice will be the following day. We hoped to disembark sooner so that we will have more time to see Venice.

Long story short, we docked at 3:45 pm. Our group line started moving around 5:00 pm. We were walking outside of the cruise terminal to the People Mover at 5:30 pm. We were disappointed we only had a few hours to go around Venice before we headed to our hotel in Mestre. We were just glad we didn't have to be stressed rebooking our flight back home.

To answer your question, if you disembark in Venice at 7:30 am, you will have enough time to catch your 12:30 pm flight at VCE. However, because of weather conditions, your actual disembarkation time might be later which might cause you to miss your flight.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, MikeNKim said:

Thank you all.   I think I should stay an extr night in Venice.   

I have come to the stage of age and travel experience that I don't trust ships to arrive as it says on paper.  Given the infrequency of flights per day from Venice to Canada, I would recommend spending the extra night.  Store your luggage at the train station, wander the back districts for the items of 2nd or 3rd tier tourist interests, have a casual local ciccheti and spritz and then head to an airport hotel (if an early early flight) or a nice canal side hotel for prossecco and gondola watching. Head to the airport in the morning.  Depending on your dates, there is a Biennale on for several months. Architecture one year, arts the next.  2020 is Architecture, so that might be of interest and worth spending the extra time in Venice for.

• Like 1

A taxi with four persons which is by far quicker and much more convenient would work out about the same price as dragging all your luggage to the people mover waiting in line there and again waiting for a bus to transfer you to the airport.

Even with two persons we think it’s worth the extra few euros.

4 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

A taxi with four persons which is by far quicker and much more convenient would work out about the same price as dragging all your luggage to the people mover waiting in line there and again waiting for a bus to transfer you to the airport.

Even with two persons we think it’s worth the extra few euros.

I wholeheartedly agree!

We used a private Vaporetto shuttle  both from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise ship.  With all the luggage for a 30 day European holiday, we weren't about to schlep it up and down and across bridges.  There is a website that show hotels in Venice within walking distance to cabs/buses, without any bridges.  Very useful...

Edited by tnt10