Issues with taking cabs in Cozumel

Carol1560

First of all, I have been taking cruises for a long time.  Everyone who cruises knows that the cruise ships regularly stop in Cozumel.  So I have racked up a total of over 30 stops in Cozumel.

So here it goes.............We love love going to Mister Sanchos.  Sometimes when we are at the taxi stop in the cruise ship terminal, we try to split the cab with another couple.  The charge to go to Mister Sanchos for 1-4 people is 17.00 per CAB.  

The other day when we tried to come back, the same thing.  Hey wanta split a cab and sure enough we found another couple that would like to split the cab ride back to the cruise terminal.  The sign at Mister Sanchos said 1-4 people 17.00.  This cabbie tells us 34.00 to go back to terminal.  What??  Raised eyebrows and wanted to speak to supervisor.  

The supervisor told the cabbie to take us back to the cruise terminal for 17.00 for 4 people.  Well this cabbie was pissed off and was driving kinda crazy, wasnt sure if he was just driving crazy or was he driving mad crazy.  But anyways he pulls up across the from the terminal and says "end of line, get out."  

We paid him the 17.00 and crossed the street and was at the terminal.

We spoke to his supervisor and told him what happened.  The supervisor couldnt speak English very well so we had port security help us out with him.  

The word is 17.00 to go to Mister Sanchos and 17.00 to come back to the terminal.

Dont let them cabbies rip you off!!

The only issue I've ever had is when I said I wanted to go "downtown" and he tried to drop us off right on the edge.  I told him, "no, to the plaza."  He groused a bit, but he did it with no problem.

Man I was I so green then.  :classic_biggrin:

The taxi cabs in Cozumel are in a Union.  The cars are privately owned, but they work for the taxi Union..  That is how they can have a set fare.  That driver may lose his job as a taxi driver due to this.  Only once in 19 yrs going to Cozumel on regular land vacations have I seen a taxi driver try to pull anything, told us fare was $10 instead of $5 to go into town.  We walked away from his taxi and took a different one.  No kidding...always always always, ask the driver the rate to where you are going to be sure!  

2 hours ago, The Grumpus said:

Thanks for the head's up.  Now that you mentioned taxis, are there taxis available/waiting at Mr. Sanchos to returns us to the pier?  I was just thinking I don't want to get down there and not be able to find a cab for the return.

Thanks!

ANY place where there are tourists, they can get you a taxi, except on the "other side" of island that is too remote.  On the west side, where all the beaches and city are located, a waiter or staff member will run out into the street and flag down a taxi for you.  Seriously... you will have to wait 2-3 minutes max to get a taxi from any beach club on westside, which includes Mr Sanchos.  

On 10/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, ABQrobin said:

ANY place where there are tourists, they can get you a taxi, except on the "other side" of island that is too remote.  On the west side, where all the beaches and city are located, a waiter or staff member will run out into the street and flag down a taxi for you.  Seriously... you will have to wait 2-3 minutes max to get a taxi from any beach club on westside, which includes Mr Sanchos.  

Thanks for the info.  We always do ship excursion or stay near the port, so going on our own for a change made me think about getting a cab back.

• 3 weeks later...