Am I Missing Anything Please

roysmith99

As always, the information available on Cruise Critic has been invaluable in planning our July / August 2020 trip from the U.K. to Alaska. Thank you everyone.

However, I’d love your thoughts on our itinerary and plans in case there is something missing. We have restrictions due to ability to walk too far or take off-road vehicles. So no hiking, flight-seeing, river rafting or glacier visits. Might make you wonder why we are going but we’re looking forward to it.

Cruise on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver to Seward - will take some of the ships tours, but not decided on which yet.

2 nights in Seward (Hotel 360) with a short boat trip on day of arrival, and a longer, different one the next day. Sea life centre hopefully at some point.

Coach to Anchorage for three nights, Lakefront hotel near Airport.

Train to Whittier with 26 Glacier Cruise then the train back.

Hire a car with possible visits to Native Heritage Centre, Wildlife Centre and Indian Valley Mine. Thought about Aleyska but not a priority.

Sadly we couldn’t find any way our limitations would let us get to Talkeetna or Denali.

Fly to Seattle for 2 nights before heading home.

..... thanks

To me it sounds like you've made many good selections.  While in Anchorage you might consider the Alaska Museum that's right downtown.  It's very nice and you can probably do the visit in a couple hours or three.  If you're looking for some interesting places to eat, I have a couple suggestions.  Two of my favorite places in Anchorage are Club Paris and Moose's Tooth Pizza.  Club Paris is a small steakhouse downtown on 5th Avenue that's very cozy - the food is EXCELLENT and the atmosphere is kind of an "old cool" - my impression of the atmosphere is that Tony Soprano would have ate there regularly.  Moose's Tooth has the best pizza I've had ANYWHERE in the world. Seriously.   If you're renting a car you'll have an easy time getting around town - Anchorage is not huge and not complicated - about anywhere you want to go is only a 10-15 minute drive.  If you've got a NAV unit it will simplify getting around as there are few "freeways" and the city is laid out in an easy to navigate grid.  Good luck!

Also, the SeaLife Center in Seward is pretty nice.  I was there a couple months ago and was impressed.  There are several nice gift shops in downtown Seward that are only a block or two away.  I don't really have a good dining recommendation for Seward - I have friends who live there and we usually do our own grilling. 😊

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Since you asked :>)   I have a few thoughts for you to consider:

1.  the short boat trip is of Resurrection Bay?  The longer boat tour starts off in RBay so it will cover the same route as the shorter one; an expensive duplication.

(when my relatives have visited from Manchester, they loved spending time at the harbor, watching the fishing boats come and go, weighing and cleaning their catch, and watching for bald eagles and otters.)

2. instead of taking the bus to Anchorage, consider the train.  This is the most scenic leg of the Alaska Railroad.  For the most part the train tracks parallel the hwy, but after Moose Pass, the train goes inland and provides excellent glacier viewing that you don't get from the road.  

3. since you will have a rental car, use it for your day in Whitter instead of the train.  It's an easy drive. Just be mindful of the opening times for the tunnel.  The tunnel is shared by the train and cars/buses and is only open once an hr in each direction; on the half-hr going TO Whittier and on the hr FROM Whittier.  It takes about an hr to get from Anc to the tunnel waiting area but give yourself 1 1/2 hrs.  Info and a short video of the drive in this link:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

4. Instead of returning to Anchorage, why not spend the night in Girdwood or even the Alyeska Resort?  It would be more convenient for the sightseeing you have planned along the Turnagain Arm ..... Conservation Center (AWCC), Potters Marsh. https://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

If you DID want to visit Denali, you would need to add 3 days.  You could take the train to Denali (8-4), overnight at the Princess Lodge (or any option that provides transportation to/from the depot), on Day 2 take a transit bus to Eielson Visitor Center (9-5),  on day 3 watch the free sled dog demo in the morning then catch the 1:30pm bus back to Anchorage www.alaskacoach.com.

Enjoy your trip !

On 10/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, mapleleaves said:

4. Instead of returning to Anchorage, why not spend the night in Girdwood or even the Alyeska Resort?  It would be more convenient for the sightseeing you have planned along the Turnagain Arm ..... Conservation Center (AWCC), Potters Marsh. https://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

This this this! Don't stay in Anchorage. While it has beautiful scenery surrounding it, it's very much like any other larger city. Girdwood is beautiful, Alyeska is great, and there's a ton to see if you have a rental car. and you can hit the AWCC on the way there from Seward

Edited by Mountaineer0313

On 10/18/2019 at 4:59 AM, roysmith99 said:

As always, the information available on Cruise Critic has been invaluable in planning our July / August 2020 trip from the U.K. to Alaska. Thank you everyone.

However, I’d love your thoughts on our itinerary and plans in case there is something missing. We have restrictions due to ability to walk too far or take off-road vehicles. So no hiking, flight-seeing, river rafting or glacier visits. Might make you wonder why we are going but we’re looking forward to it.

Cruise on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver to Seward - will take some of the ships tours, but not decided on which yet.

2 nights in Seward (Hotel 360) with a short boat trip on day of arrival, and a longer, different one the next day. Sea life centre hopefully at some point.

Coach to Anchorage for three nights, Lakefront hotel near Airport.

Are you planning to have a car in Anchorage.  You will need one to get around efficiently.

Train to Whittier with 26 Glacier Cruise then the train back.

I would rent a car to get to Whittier.  That way you could stop at places on the way to and from Whittier.  Also, the Wildlife Center and the Indian Valley Mine is on the way to Whittier.

Hire a car with possible visits to Native Heritage Centre, Wildlife Centre and Indian Valley Mine. Thought about Aleyska but not a priority.

Sadly we couldn’t find any way our limitations would let us get to Talkeetna or Denali.

It is a shame that you can't go to Denali.  You are not missing anything by not visiting Talkeetna.  If you can find the time, Independence Mine State Historical Park (http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/indmine.htmnear Anchorage is well worth visiting.

Fly to Seattle for 2 nights before heading home.

..... thanks

DON