Internet on Celebrity Cruises

elenig29

Hi Everyone,

My family will be cruising for the first time on the Silhoutte.  They really don't explain the extent of what you can use internet wise with the 2 packages for 1 device ( at least maybe I am not getting it).  So they offer the surf internet package and the unlimited internet package both can be used on just one device.  Does anyone know with surf package if I can use facebook and messenger.  The surf states " the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube"

and the unlimited states "Show off your stylish stateroom via FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your favorite apps like Netflix. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity iLounge, open 24 hours a day. Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle-free solution to staying connected onboard.  If I can save money and know for sure that I can use facebook and messenger on the Surf one, I obviously would choose that.  Maybe someone from past experience can help.  Thank you

The packages are for 1, 2 3, etc devices.  What that means is if you have a 1 device package you will have 1user IID and password.  You can use the ID and password on any device but only 1 device at a time can be logged on.  

We have not used the surf package yet but from what others have reported they can use FB, Instagram, email, messaging and surfing the web.

we have purchased the 1 device surf package for a upcoming cruise and will share it as we both don’t need to be on-line at the same time.

14 hours ago, elenig29 said:

Hi Everyone,

My family will be cruising for the first time on the Silhoutte.  They really don't explain the extent of what you can use internet wise with the 2 packages for 1 device ( at least maybe I am not getting it).  So they offer the surf internet package and the unlimited internet package both can be used on just one device.  Does anyone know with surf package if I can use facebook and messenger.  The surf states " the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube"

and the unlimited states "Show off your stylish stateroom via FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your favorite apps like Netflix. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity iLounge, open 24 hours a day. Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle-free solution to staying connected onboard.  If I can save money and know for sure that I can use facebook and messenger on the Surf one, I obviously would choose that.  Maybe someone from past experience can help.  Thank you

The Surf package is what we had and you can easily do mail, Facebook and most all websites that end in .com.  Video will not stream or not stream properly.  We had the single device package so to use the service on another device, we had to log out of the current one.

On our Equinox cruise a few weeks ago, Instagram was blocked across all my devices starting on Day 4 of an 11 day cruise. The 'iLounge' technician was useless to explain why this was happening and his constant answer was "I'm having IT look into your account."  A few other passengers told me they could not access Instagram on their accounts either.  So be aware of that.  It could very well be because videos are becoming more prevalent on that platform so the service is simply shutting it down.  I could only use Instagram at port.  

First time Celebrity cruiser, and I will receive the “ perk” internet package for two.

can you tell me which one that is? I’m assuming it’s just the basic? So no videos? 

Yes, Instagram seems to have just as many videos as pictures lately. It’s not a big deal if it’s just the basic, but would be interested to know. Thanks! 

15 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

First time Celebrity cruiser, and I will receive the “ perk” internet package for two.

can you tell me which one that is? I’m assuming it’s just the basic? So no videos? 

Yes, Instagram seems to have just as many videos as pictures lately. It’s not a big deal if it’s just the basic, but would be interested to know. Thanks! 

I would like to know this as well.  

I would find out before logging on their system first, then you could ask upgrade to the Xcelerate package and pay the difference.  It's like RCI internet package, if you sign on to their Voom and realize that you need the Voom + Stream, you would have to go to tech support so that they can remove it and then reinstall the Xcelerate that allows you to surf + stream.

3 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

The "perk" internet package is "Unlimited".

Taken from Celebrity's current promotion:

— The Perks —

Classic Beverage Package • Unlimited Wi-Fi • Prepaid Tips • $150 per person to spend on board

Edited by mikkelhansen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, creativegenius said:

And for clarification, the Perk is not for two.  It's a single internet package that you will share.  1 device.  You would have to upgrade the internet package to have more than one device at the same time.

We were on the Summit last month and had the perk internet package, and it was for two.  No need to share.  

Edited by Turtles06

3 hours ago, creativegenius said:

And for clarification, the Perk is not for two.  It's a single internet package that you will share.  1 device.  You would have to upgrade the internet package to have more than one device at the same time.

That definitely sounds like an error to me. The perks are always per person for the first two persones in a stateroom, ie. 1x Unlimited Internet per person.

Hello--just got off Solstice a week ago and had the internet perk. It was unlimited and full stream for both of us--1 device each. I used everything--Instagram, radio streaming from a station at home, videos, texting, all of it. We didn't experience any issues and we were on for 27 days. Happy sailing!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Katyoparty said:

Hello--just got off Solstice a week ago and had the internet perk. It was unlimited and full stream for both of us--1 device each. I used everything--Instagram, radio streaming from a station at home, videos, texting, all of it. We didn't experience any issues and we were on for 27 days. Happy sailing!

Thank you.