Bringing coke urring check in.

cruiseelady

On 10/25/2019 at 11:44 AM, Laszlo said:

I've bought a 3-4 bottles of diet coke from the vending machines in NYC after checking on our last 3 cruises out of there. Put them in my backpack and walked on the ship, no issues. I've done it in Tampa, Miami and Seattle also without a problem

Yes I did this in Port Canaveral and Miami.  Machines are after security check in.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

No I have not. Is there a brand you would reccomend. I like the syrup because it's all elderberry with no added ingredients. Will I have a problem getting the elderberry syrup through security?

https://www.amazon.com/Gummies-Elderberry-Echinacea-Vitamin-Propolis/dp/B07P5X847Y/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1U0OELQDXBLG6&keywords=sambucol+black+elderberry+gummies&qid=1572260568&sprefix=Sambucol%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-16

My wife was pregnant on a cruise once and we had a doctor's not regarding drinking a water with specific ph level or something like that and they still wouldn't let us bring water on board... they told us that they sell water on board.  I think it has more to do with people trying to sneak liquor on board than anything.

31 minutes ago, tandc2019 said:

My wife was pregnant on a cruise once and we had a doctor's not regarding drinking a water with specific ph level or something like that and they still wouldn't let us bring water on board... they told us that they sell water on board.  I think it has more to do with people trying to sneak liquor on board than anything.

Yeah, I think alcohol smuggling was the main issue, too.  Not only did NCL lose profits due to smuggled alcohol, could not control it’s consumption.  So, it could be consumed by minors or by overly intoxicated people, some of whom do stupid or dangerous things.  By eliminating other liquids, NCL cut down the number of packages they had to closely inspect to prevent smuggling; that cut costs, too. No more burst soda soiling other people’s luggage.  Plus a bit more money from on board soft drink/water sales.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, erdoran said:

At this point I don’t see the point!  If most pax have the booze or soda pkg as a perk, then NCL is saving themselves $ by letting pax bring non-booze aboard (or even booze, other than bottles of wine).  The issue of staff dragging cases of soda can be dealt with by requiring pax to carry on any liquids they want, so they will drag it themselves and carry it themselves....

And honestly, how much revenue can a can or two of soda from the port cost NCL?  Really?

Me getting on my next cruise.  🤣

Capture.JPG

Edited by GA Dave

On 10/27/2019 at 2:47 PM, Zippeedee said:

There is also a financial advantage to not having to pay to recycle or trash the massive numbers of bottles and cans that were being hauled onto every ship. If any of that savings keeps prices down I’m all for it.

If NCL was worried about recycling or trash, then they could do like Disney does in their resorts.  They could sell you a "souvenir" cup when you get on board (I think they were about $20 at the resort) and use them to get fountain drinks.  They have a chip in the bottom that activates the machine to fill your cup.  Once you get your drink, you can't get another one for a specified amount of time, like 10 minutes.  They expire once your cruise is over, so you can't reuse on another cruise.  Sell them by the room, just like they do other drink packages, so there isn't any sharing.  And the room steward doesn't have to keep an accounting of what's been taken from the mini-bar (which they don't ever seem to get right).

Fountain drinks are super cheap - I'm guessing they would actually make money this way, plus it's more eco-friendly.  I'd buy one for sure - and I've never spent $20 out of the mini-bar soft drinks - I mostly get my fill of caffeine while I'm on shore.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If NCL was worried about recycling or trash, then they could do like Disney does in their resorts.  They could sell you a "souvenir" cup when you get on board (I think they were about $20 at the resort) and use them to get fountain drinks.  They have a chip in the bottom that activates the machine to fill your cup.  Once you get your drink, you can't get another one for a specified amount of time, like 10 minutes.  They expire once your cruise is over, so you can't reuse on another cruise.  Sell them by the room, just like they do other drink packages, so there isn't any sharing.  And the room steward doesn't have to keep an accounting of what's been taken from the mini-bar (which they don't ever seem to get right).

Fountain drinks are super cheap - I'm guessing they would actually make money this way, plus it's more eco-friendly.  I'd buy one for sure - and I've never spent $20 out of the mini-bar soft drinks - I mostly get my fill of caffeine while I'm on shore.

Disney is really kicking it up a notch when it comes to the use of technology in their parks.  But it did kind of freak me out on our trip last month at Port Orleans FQ when I noticed that the My Disney Experience app was tracking me on the resort map via my Magic Band.  Almost too Big Brother to me.  🤣

Edited by GA Dave

52 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Or simplify it and build it into the cost of the fare and disguise it as a "perk" (lol).