More Recent Maya Chan Visit

USCcruisecrazy

I've read a lot on this site about Maya Chan and the potential for the seaweed problem.  Many posters seemed to elude to certain times of year being worse than others.

We are heading to the Western Caribbean 7-14 Dec on the Sky Princess.  Our day in Costa Maya will be spent at the Maya Chan Beach Resort.

Question is:  has anyone been there lately?  Like in the last month or so.  If so, what was the condition of the water?

Thanks for any words you can provide.

• USCcruisecrazy changed the title to More Recent Maya Chan Visit
  • 1 month later...

I was at Maya Chan for the first time this past Wednesday. Seaweed was not an issue. The water at short distance wasn't clear and blue, but perfectly fine and got clearer as you went out. Lots of people in the water that day but we were the last ones there. 

IMG_20191127_155937.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was at Maya Chan Dec 11th.  Seaweed was piled up over 2 ft high on beach and stunk.  Smelled like rotten eggs.  It wasn't enough to make you gag but was pretty unpleasant.

Wanted to also mention the drinks were really watered down that day.  I've been to Maya Chan before and that wasn't the case.  When you ordered something, the bartender didn't make them in front of you. He went into a back room and almost instantly appeared with the drink.  Obviously they were pre-mixed.  I totally stopped ordering drinks when he served me a pina colada that tasted like soap.  Gave up and switched to bottles of Fresca for the rest of the day.

The food was delicious, though and the people who work there are fantastic. 

All things considered, we won't be going back due to the seaweed smell and awful drinks.

1 hour ago, KarenRB said:

Was at Maya Chan Dec 11th.  Seaweed was piled up over 2 ft high on beach and stunk.  Smelled like rotten eggs.  It wasn't enough to make you gag but was pretty unpleasant.

All things considered, we won't be going back due to the seaweed smell and awful drinks.

This really surprises me. We were in Costa Maya on December 12th and there was no sign of any seaweed on the area of the malecon we visited. I had a very pleasant swim with no seaweed and little seagrass.

Maya Chan usually gives you a seaweed update before you get in the taxi -wasn’t this the case?

I wouldn’t necessarily write-off Maya Chan because of seaweed - it is very seasonal, but usually in our experience, December is a better month. Our other time that we usually visit end of Feb/beginning of March has been more “iffy”, and the summer is downright “bad”.

There are several new places to try on the malecon and other out of town places too, so no harm with having a change from time to time. We enjoy the variety but seaweed is seaweed in Costa Maya and if it looks bad sailing in I would stay at the port.

Edited by c-leg5

Xmas day 2019 at maya chin,  no seaweed today, drinks strong, staff and Host David are fantastic, service could not be better. By noon or so full complement at beach, belive sold out, but not crowded, neighbors all friendly.  Have to ask wife but I belive this makes our "do it again" list which after 30+ Caribbean cruises is barely a handful.  

1 hour ago, ranchette said:

Is there any shade at Maya chan besides  an umbrella?

There are some palapas of various sizes but we have only been lucky enough to be allocated them when we had a larger group. When there were only two of us we only got an umbrella. There are advantages and disadvantages - the umbrellas are nearer the waters edge, but not so good if there is seaweed. Lots of photos on Trip Advisor images.

You can request a palapa but I think it depends on how many people have booked already and the size of your group. I know couples who have managed to get a palapa. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, KarenRB said:

Wanted to also mention the drinks were really watered down that day.  I've been to Maya Chan before and that wasn't the case.  When you ordered something, the bartender didn't make them in front of you. He went into a back room and almost instantly appeared with the drink.  Obviously they were pre-mixed.  I totally stopped ordering drinks when he served me a pina colada that tasted like soap.  Gave up and switched to bottles of Fresca for the rest of the day.

The food was delicious, though and the people who work there are fantastic. 

When you brought up your concerns about drinks to David, what did he say?

2 hours ago, Tang1 said:

How long is the ride from the port to Maya Chan? We are in Costa Maya from 1-8, so wondering if this is even an option for us. 

20 - 30 minutes depending on road conditions. It is possible.

Whether it is worth it depends on ship time compared to local time; whether you want lunch mid-afternoon; what time it goes dark.

Probably not worth it to me with those hours, but I have already been. I would pick somewhere closer and just have some hours at the beach.

Edited by c-leg5

36 minutes ago, Tang1 said:

Any recommendations c-leg5 on a closer beach place? Thanks 

Any of the secluded beaches are that far away - Maya Chan, Almaplena, Hayhu. Maya Chan probably has the most “Tested” reliable transport arrangement.

The nearest beach is at Mahahual (5 minutes). Try this general post

Edited by c-leg5

4 hours ago, Tang1 said:

Any recommendations c-leg5 on a closer beach place? Thanks 

You can just swing by the Malecon which is the downtown/beach/broadwalk right next to the port.  Take a cab or their shuttles over.  Walk the broadwalk and find a beach club/restaurant that appeals to you.  It's cheap and easy.  Plenty of options.