Upgrade from Concierge to Penthouse on the Explorer

Eager2Travel

We are considering an upgrade from concierge to penthouse on the Explorer.  We like the openness of the Concierge layout.  I am wondering if the Penthouse cabin feels cramped width wise.  It looks narrow from sofa to TV.  Also is eating at the table pleasant?  It seems to be stuck at the back of the suite.  Hope I don’t sound too picky.  We don’t usually stay in the higher suites except for Penthouse on the Mariner.

Thanks for any help.

We've done both the shower in the penthouse is great, but no tub, which didn't mater to us.  The penthouse has two TV's but no desk, I used the table for my computer.  Value wise concierge is better.

• Like 1

Ann/Shel,

I much prefer the Concierge cabin. it's open and airy. the bed faces the sliding door - I really liked it. No tub, that's true.

The penthouse has a small closet and I found it felt more cramped, closed in.

I'll be in a concierge cabins in a month for the crossing.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
  • Thanks 1

We did the Baltics in 818.  Loved the Penthouse.   Full disclosure: Haven't stayed in the F1/F2 Concierge suites but I'm sure they're nice also.

My Pluses/Minuses

- The balcony is big enough for 6 people comfortably.  Has more than a few get-togethers with friends in G-H and possibly some F suites.

- The living room area is ample for a couple or maybe 4;  no more. Ref: The Balcony...

- Closet is cramped if there is more than 1 (3/4?) of a clothes horse in residence. My wife and I did just fine on a 12 night that required 'normal' clothes.

- It's better to eat on the balcony than the living room table.  But the table has an additional top to increase its size during meals.

- Bathroom / Shower is wonderful.  Commode Private.  No Bathtub - if that's important, but a WoW shower.

- Overall, we thought the Penthouse Suite was very comfortable and were doing it again on Splendor.  But this time in 820! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra info.  Office was closed by the time I got back to TA.  Now on the table until Monday but we are leaning toward staying where we are.

Am wondering if they offer different or same price depending on category you are in.

Hi

6 hours ago, Eager2Travel said:

We are considering an upgrade from concierge to penthouse on the Explorer

Is this upgrade you have been offered chargeable or complimentary? How soon before your cruise has it been offered?

The penthouse offers plusses and a minus. On the plus side is the most amazing shower in the world! No tub, but for us that’s a plus. The balcony is just fabulous., so spacious. Our favorite perk is having a custom created meal, served by the butler, on the balcony. We found that to be the most luxurious treat! You have already noticed the minus with the divider wall. Together the room is rather large but the divider can make each section feel a little tight. For the right price, I think it’s well worth it.

Thanks for the extra info.  Office was closed by the time I got back to TA.  Now on the table until Monday.  I thought we had about decided to stay where we were but then all this new info came in and am now back to being undecided.

KJBACON you have me wondering if the slightly cramped feeling will bother me.  We do love a large balcony but our  concierge suite has the same size balcony as Penthouse.    We did enjoy our excellent Butler on our last cruise. 

RONRICK, , we agree with you about splurging at this stage of life.  If not now then when?

QLD13,  the offer came about six weeks ahead.  This is the earliest we have received one.  Ship is fairly empty.  It is not complimentary but discounted.

Am wondering if they offer different or same price depending on category you are in.  We will hear back from TA on Monday.  Evidently we were not among the first to get the offer.  Bellagio received it a day ahead of us even though in a lower category.  Not sure how they make their offer.  I have been told it is in the orders of your cabin level.  Evidently not true.  I suspect certain TA’s get first crack at the offers even though I had been told otherwise.

1 hour ago, Eager2Travel said:

Thanks for the extra info.  Office was closed by the time I got back to TA.  Now on the table until Monday.  I thought we had about decided to stay where we were but then all this new info came in and am now back to being undecided.

KJBACON you have me wondering if the slightly cramped feeling will bother me.  We do love a large balcony but our  concierge suite has the same size balcony as Penthouse.    We did enjoy our excellent Butler on our last cruise. 

RONRICK, , we agree with you about splurging at this stage of life.  If not now then when?

QLD13,  the offer came about six weeks ahead.  This is the earliest we have received one.  Ship is fairly empty.  It is not complimentary but discounted.

Am wondering if they offer different or same price depending on category you are in.  We will hear back from TA on Monday.  Evidently we were not among the first to get the offer.  Bellagio received it a day ahead of us even though in a lower category.  Not sure how they make their offer.  I have been told it is in the orders of your cabin level.  Evidently not true.  I suspect certain TA’s get first crack at the offers even though I had been told otherwise.

I think your right about the TA's--just makes good business sense to do it that way.

It does make good business sense but not good policy when they tell our TA that it is in order of cabin level.  And we deal with an agency that does a fair number of Regent bookings.  Our agent does fight for us over important matters so I wouldn’t want to drag her into a confrontation over this.  Especially since we think the Concierge cabin has pluses over the Penthouse minus the Butler .  It definitely has more storage.   Biggest minus is the most uncomfortable seating for TV that I have ever experience.

Explorer:
We settle for the superior suite. It’s fine. Great bathroom. Never use tub. Nice size for that level of suite. Sofa very small. No table for breakfast. 
But - - We love the penthouse suite. Yes, it has some minor drawbacks. But it works great for us. It definitely has a larger balcony. Closet may be smaller but no problems for us. Love the bathroom and the great shower with 6 jets and rain head. The water closet has a door. There is a small dining table for two. We use it for breakfast almost every morning. The living room area is comfortable. And, having a butler is simply the best. 
Several cruises ago, we had the Explorer suite. Frankly, although really lovely, it was too big for us. Bedroom almost same size as PH. Never used the whirlpool tub and it took up a lot of room in the bathroom. Dining  area was too large. The only nice feature was the second bathroom. Living room area was slightly larger than PH. Balcony was huge and wonderful. 
Sheila and Herb

• Like 1

Thanks, Sheila for your informative response.  We would have taken the offer just to experience the the Penthouse on Explorer but they only had smaller balconies available.  We chose Concierge initially because it has the much larger balcony.  The small balcony offered in the upsell helped to make the decision for us.

We look forward to meeting onboard.

Ann