Cruising in April (Hawaii or Mediterranean)

Scottdg

I am planning a vacation in April (8th-19th) and considering both of these destinations. The problem is my family is split on where to go, although we of course would be thrilled with either. My real concern is are we getting good value out of a Mediterranean cruise in April. I have a 12 year old that wants to enjoy all that cruising has to offer. But is it too cool to be on a ship that time of year to enjoy the outdoors. Hawaii of course the weather will be beautiful but it is also quite a bit more money. 

I appreciate your thoughts and would love to hear from someone that has cruised the Mediterranean (Greece, Italy, Croatia) this time of year.

thanks,

Scott

Not sure what you consider too cool to enjoy being outdoors. Do you mean walking,  or hiking the hills, or lying by the pool? You can google the average temps for each if your ports for any month. For example Athens shows daytime highs in the mid to upper 60s - perfect weather for a long walk or hike, but likely too cool for lying by the pool.

IMO, April weather in the Med is fine.  We've had cool (sweater and raincoat) to quite warm weather; far preferable to the extreme heat of July and August.

The only disadvantage of that time of year, I think, is being there close to May 1, which is a holiday period, and brings out huge numbers of locals and additional tourists.

Yea - I looked and saw average high temps for the region in the mid 60s which is wonderful for sight seeing. I just want to make sure that when we are on the ship my 12 year old can enjoy time by the pool. I am afraid that will not be possible in April, so she isn’t getting the full cruise experience. 

I'd pick the Med over Hawaii any day. I've done 9 Med cruises, all in "shoulder seasons" (April/May or Oct/Nov). The best weather (glassy seas, decent temperatures) was on an April cruise that started in Athens on Orthodox Easter (a unique experience) and did the Eastern Med -- Greece, Croatia, Turkey.

The Med is mostly about seeing wonderful places, which I'd think would be an absolutely memorable and broadening experience for a 12-year old. My parents took me to Italy when I was about that age and I have never recovered (lol)...

How many sea days does your Med cruise have?  On port days, you'll want to be off the ship most of the day...

• Like 1

Depends on your priorities. In the Med your child will experience some of the great ports that feature the early history, culture, and cuisine that developed into western civilization. That cruise could possibly stimulate a lifelong curiosity and joy for travel, not just tourism. OTOH, you can focus on sitting around a crowded pool deck.

Hawaii or the Med, completely opposite choices 🙂 I suggest going to the Med more beginning of June and onwards since it can be still pretty chilly in April. Hawaii, however, is always a good time to go.

But I prefer the Med, so many things to do and see.

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning toward Hawaii but surprisingly after Talking about it my daughter really wants to go on the med cruise. I Am considering other options also since there are not many Hawaii cruise options in April. The land/sea one I was looking at is a little pricey.

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'd pick the Med over Hawaii any day. I've done 9 Med cruises, all in "shoulder seasons" (April/May or Oct/Nov). The best weather (glassy seas, decent temperatures) was on an April cruise that started in Athens on Orthodox Easter (a unique experience) and did the Eastern Med -- Greece, Croatia, Turkey.

The Med is mostly about seeing wonderful places, which I'd think would be an absolutely memorable and broadening experience for a 12-year old. My parents took me to Italy when I was about that age and I have never recovered (lol)...

How many sea days does your Med cruise have?  On port days, you'll want to be off the ship most of the day...

I  would love to get some input on your Med cruises!  We are getting ready for our first one end of May 2020!!

20 minutes ago, hbennett56 said:

I  would love to get some input on your Med cruises!  We are getting ready for our first one end of May 2020!!

Rather than hijack this discussion, I suggest you visit the Port of Call boards here on Cruise Critic, where there is a lot of good information. I read and post (daily!) on the Italy forum...if you want to ask anything, just post your question.

Link to European Ports of Call boards:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

10 hours ago, Scottdg said:

I Am considering other options also since there are not many Hawaii cruise options in April. 

To the contrary:

Cruises Available: Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America continues its year-round, round trip Honolulu cruises.

Princess also carries on with its 15-night round trip cruises from San Francisco, Los Angeles and Vancouver through April. During that month, Holland America also offers Hawaii cruises round trip from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Diego, plus a one-way sailing between Seattle and Vancouver.

Carnival offers both a round trip and a repositioning cruise to Hawaii in April. Celebrity sails repo cruises to Vancouver that start in Honolulu in April and May, while Royal Caribbean offers repositioning cruises from the islands to British Columbia in early May.

Affordability: This is one of two shoulder season when fares drop. In addition to being able to save a little money cruising in spring, the weather is great, with the rainier season past.

37 minutes ago, Scottdg said:

I guess the problem is my dates are firm so finding a cruise that is the right duration and leaves at the right time is difficult.

Just FYI (and you are probably already well of the fact) NCL's Pride of America sails every Saturday year-round from Honolulu.  You obviously could build a pre-or-post land time around the cruise.