If NCL Cancels A Sailing (After Final Payment)

macandlucy

We are looking at doing a SA cruise with Santiago, Chile as a departure port. NCL hasn't said anything about the unrest there yet, and I understand they may be talking a wait and see approach (which is fine).  If I pay for it in full, and they decide to cancel the entire cruise (not change the itinerary, outright cancel) after final payment has been made, would they refund the full cruise fare?

The obvious answer seems yes, since I paid for something and am not getting it. But when I look at the cruise contract it doesn't exactly say that. (It does say they will refund your money if they cancel it for a charter, but not in the case of civil unrest that would cause them to cancel).

Has anyone had any experience with the cruiseline cancelling a cruise after final payment? Or any knowledge of it? 

21 minutes ago, macandlucy said:

We are looking at doing a SA cruise with Santiago, Chile as a departure port. NCL hasn't said anything about the unrest there yet, and I understand they may be talking a wait and see approach (which is fine).  If I pay for it in full, and they decide to cancel the entire cruise (not change the itinerary, outright cancel) after final payment has been made, would they refund the full cruise fare?

The obvious answer seems yes, since I paid for something and am not getting it. But when I look at the cruise contract it doesn't exactly say that. (It does say they will refund your money if they cancel it for a charter, but not in the case of civil unrest that would cause them to cancel).

Has anyone had any experience with the cruiseline cancelling a cruise after final payment? Or any knowledge of it? 

You should be offered to either transfer it to another sailing or take a refund.  That said, I'd be very surprised if this gets canceled.  While you may feel unsafe going and the government might have a travel advisory, I would think it will need to get pretty bad before they cancel.  

• Like 2

It is very rare to cancel a cruise.   Usually it is rerouted.    San Antonio is a long way from Santiago and the airport is out side of the city.  So technically any unrest in the city can be avoided.   This city is not safe either and they’ve been going there for years. Street crime claims multiple cruise passengers every cruise.   

Thanks dolfan and BudgetQueen.  I don't expect them to cancel either, much more likely to be an itinerary change I think, but my friend asked if they would refund us the full amount or only a partial amount if NCL cancelled it after final payment, and while I assumed they would, I couldn't find anything in the cruise contract or anywhere else that said they definitely would refund the full amount. 

It's funny, my friend called NCL to ask about this and the agent told her that it would be more likely that they'd cancel the cruise than change the departure port. That didn't sound right to me at all. And that's kind of the answer to why I'm asking on Cruise Critic and not calling NCL to ask.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, macandlucy said:

Thanks dolfan and BudgetQueen.  I don't expect them to cancel either, much more likely to be an itinerary change I think, but my friend asked if they would refund us the full amount or only a partial amount if NCL cancelled it after final payment, and while I assumed they would, I couldn't find anything in the cruise contract or anywhere else that said they definitely would refund the full amount. 

It's funny, my friend called NCL to ask about this and the agent told her that it would be more likely that they'd cancel the cruise than change the departure port. That didn't sound right to me at all. And that's kind of the answer to why I'm asking on Cruise Critic and not calling NCL to ask.

I also doubt a departure change.    I sail this itinerary every year.   A lot of headaches for the cruise line.    

• Like 1

Sometimes when they cancel your cruise, you get a 100% refund + a percentage off if you book another cruise within a certain period of time.  NCL cancelled a cruise we were looking forward to out of New Orleans for January 2020.  Our offer from them was complete refund and 15% off if we booked any new cruise within a time frame they specified.  Turned out to be a great deal for us. 

Luckily we had not booked our flight yet.

Edited by Sea saw 56
more information
  • Like 1

When Cuba was closed to travel a week before our cruise RCCL gave us either a discount or a full refund.  I think all of the cruise ships did that.  I think that is really only for issues like this where the trip was specifically for Cuba.  Not sure if what you are describing would match but there is precedent.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, macandlucy said:

First, NCL will not cancel a cruise. The contract allows them to change the itinerary, as needed. They are not taking a ship out of service. 

NCL is also not in a “wait and see” mode. They plan to operate the cruise unless something very close to departure date prevents them from operating. Many ports have Department of State advisories, and you are deciding on whether to go or not. If you strictly follow DoS travel advisories, there are no safe Caribbean ports. 

Edited by BirdTravels

It may surprise some to hear that the increased warming level for Chile to Level 2 from Level 1 just puts it at the same level of France, Germany, and Spain.  We are cruising out of Santiago in December so keeping tabs on the news but unless something changes significantly I don’t think they’ll be a major change to the cruise.  Fortunately we have refundable hotel reservations so as we get closer we may shift to a hotel at the airport instead of in the city depending on unrest.  

• Like 1