De Librije

AlexCherie

Looking for some feedback on this one-night stand in Pinnacle. One of the top dining experiences in my life was enjoying Le Cirque on the Eurodam, when Madame Maccioni brought the Creme Brûlée to my table, while Sergio spoke to the dining room. 

But French food is a known path. Choosing between Pike and Lamb’s Neck (frankly, my wife would see my head on the table before THAT happened) is quite different. I did a quick search on YouTube - nothing. Perhaps I ran the search here wrong, but also - nothing.

Nearly $140 for the night. Anyone tried it yet?

And by the way, this particular item is an example of how poorly Holland America markets itself.

* no pictures/video. Really? In today’s world? No real representation of the menu?
* no indication that the wine is (in fact) included in the price?
* no indication you have a choice of each part of the meal?
* no YouTube video?

It is bizarre that a publicly traded company could be managed in this way. For that matter,  they have a website where you cannot use two different filters for your search. High school students put together better marketing. 

We enjoyed this dinner so much that we booked a second one on the way out of the dining room.  It's only offered once a cruise, (European cruises) but we were on a back to back booking so we're able to enjoy it twice on the Niew Statendam.  We had the wine pairing on both evenings.  We are 4 star mariners so had a 50% discount on the dining portion of the bill, but we thought the experience was fantastic and well worth the upcharge at full price.   We sat next to Netherlanders who had previously dined at DeLibrije 3 star restaurant and they were also impressed with the ships offering.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did if you decide to try it. 

We also dined at LeCirque pop up (can't remember which ship) and remember it as being exceptional.  

• Like 2

This is good news - I booked a night in every dining room other than the sushi (not a fan, generally). I frequent the HAL site on FB and others say the same thing about De Librije.

Frankly stunned to see it includes a tasting of wine. Granted I assume they don't fill the goblet but I really don't want or need more than a couple ounces per glass. 

Should be a wonderful trip. I'm assume you also did the brasserie. Wondering how that went ... certainly seems like my kind of place. 

De Librije as executed on Eurodam during a Viking Passage Crossing a few years ago was the most disappointing dining experience I have ever had in a specialty restaurant on any ship.  Deconstructed cuisine is not something that I want to experience again.  And, the wine service in "coordination" with the dinner's courses did not meet my expectations for proper wine service for such a dining occasion.  The "coordination" was poor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

De Librije as executed on Eurodam during a Viking Passage Crossing a few years ago was the most disappointing dining experience I have ever had in a specialty restaurant on any ship.  Deconstructed cuisine is not something that I want to experience again.  And, the wine service in "coordination" with the dinner's courses did not meet my expectations for proper wine service for such a dining occasion.  The "coordination" was poor.

I don't care for deconstructed cuisine either, which also usually seems to include something "foamed."  

After several bad and expensive experiences with this at restaurants, we never will take a chance with De Librije.  

• Like 2

One of our most memorable meals was at the restaurant in Zwolle but not even close on HAL. Understand it’s a much lower price point but other than the signature deconstructed apple pie dessert nothing even looked nor tasted like the meal we had at the restaurant. 

Edited by freestyling

4 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I am surprised to hear that De Librije is still offered.  I thought it had been discontinued, and that Sel de Mer was the offering in the PG now.

Sel de Mer is such a quality experience in both the stand alone venue as well as in the PG pop-up, one has to wonder why De Librije survives?  

3 minutes ago, freestyling said:

One of our most memorable meals was at the restaurant in Zwolle but not even close on HAL. Understand it’s a much lower price point but other than the signature deconstructed apple pie dessert nothing even looked nor tasted like the meal we had at the restaurant. 

So, why does HAL bother to do so?

The deconstructed apple pie dessert prompted my dining companion to ask:  "what are we to do with this mess"?

• Like 1

Just now, rkacruiser said:

So, why does HAL bother to do so?

The deconstructed apple pie dessert prompted my dining companion to ask:  "what are we to do with this mess"?

Not such a “mess” at the restaurant. 
Since Johnny Boer is the owner of De Librije and also on the HAL culinary council that’s probably why. 

12 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I am surprised to hear that De Librije is still offered.  I thought it had been discontinued, and that Sel de Mer was the offering in the PG now.

Specialty dining reservations just opened for our spring 2020 Asia cruise on Westerdam and I was surprised to see both Sel de Mer and De Librije offered.  I, too, thought the latter pop-up had been discontinued.

We are partners in multiple "adventurous" fine dining restaurants and used to unusual ingredients prepared in innovative ways.

We've been approached about doing remote locations (a Las Vegas hotel, an Airport) and turned them down feeling the difficulty of replicating an experience fitting our reputation was simply too large a reputational risk to take. Thus, I was amazed that De Librije would consent to using their name for a Cruise Ship Pop-Up.

I was very skepical prior to eating at De Librije on Koningsdam last January.

While not the full 3 Star experience one would have at the "mother restaurant" in Holland, in context of it being a cruise ship pop-up and the relatively approachable price, we thought De Librije was excellent and plan to do it again on an upcoming December cruise.

Bravo to Chef Boer for creating an experience reflective of his style that can effectively be replicated as a cruise ship pop-up.

• 2 weeks later...

I did De Librije a couple of years ago on the Rotterdam. I though the 2 oz wine pourings were poor but in general was very pleased with the food, especially the fish. 

The idea of a deconstructed apple pie did not interest me either, but I was pleased with the other dessert.

18 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I did De Librije a couple of years ago on the Rotterdam. I though the 2 oz wine pourings were poor but in general was very pleased with the food, especially the fish. 

The idea of a deconstructed apple pie did not interest me either, but I was pleased with the other dessert.

And the wine pourings were poorly timed in my experience.  My traveling companion and I had not finished the previous pouring until the Wine Steward appeared with another wine.  The deconstructed apple pie was a deconstructed mess in my opinion.  It's a "special" dining experience that I will never have again!

We dined at DL on the Konigsdam September 2018.  It was not to my taste at all.  The worst was the foie gras + oysters.  Foie gras turned into oyster shells which tasted more like hardened lard with a raw oyster and foam.  The fish course was fine but I would imagine that a nice piece for fish in the MDR would have been that tasty.  We did enjoy the Sel de Mer on the Konigsdam and I would repeat that in a heartbeat.  De L never again.  The amuse bouche were cute but it didn't make up for the letdown of the pricy dinner.  

fois gras oysters DL.jpg

fish course de Libreje.jpg

de Libreje unknown dish.jpg

amuse bouche de libreje.jpg