Grand Voyage

islandwoman

I'm trying to figure out whether Holland America will have a "Grand Voyage" anytime between April and November 2021, and if so, where will it go?  (None on the web site)

I see that the October 2020 Grand Voyage is a circle Africa, Ft Lauderdale round trip.  I'm wondering if I can expect the same cruise in 2021?  Does anyone know where HAL's Grand Voyage went this year?

4 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I'm trying to figure out whether Holland America will have a "Grand Voyage" anytime between April and November 2021, and if so, where will it go?  (None on the web site)

I see that the October 2020 Grand Voyage is a circle Africa, Ft Lauderdale round trip.  I'm wondering if I can expect the same cruise in 2021?  Does anyone know where HAL's Grand Voyage went this year?

There was no fall Grand Cruise this year. I believe it was a 50 day Hawaii, Tahiti plus other Polynesian islands. In 2020, the fall cruise is to Africa thus echoing the World Cruise. And in 2021, the fall cruise is going to Asia.. Thus echoing the WC in 2021.

Edited by Storylady
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Storylady said:

There was no fall Grand Cruise this year. I believe it was a 50 day Hawaii, Tahiti plus other Polynesian islands. In 2020, the fall cruise is to Africa thus echoing the World Cruise. And in 2021, the fall cruise is going to Asia.. Thus echoing the WC in 2021.

I don't understand what you mean by "echoing the WC".

9 minutes ago, Storylady said:

I meant the the WC goes to Africa in 2920. And the 2021 WC goes to Asia.

Doesn't the WC usually go somewhere in Asia?  i.e. Singapore, India, China, etc.?  Was there a Grand SA cruise this year?  The Grand Africa had not been offered  for several years, and the Grand Asia doesn't usually go every year, although it did sail  in '17 and '18.  I am looking forward to seeing the  itinerary.  We had a wonderful trip in '18.  The weather  was perfect.  

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

I don't understand what you mean by "echoing the WC".

The 2020 WC will visit Japan and China during the cold winter.

The 2020 Grand Asia would "echo" that itinerary the following fall.

Barbara 

20 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Doesn't the WC usually go somewhere in Asia?  i.e. Singapore, India, China, etc.?  Was there a Grand SA cruise this year?  The Grand Africa had not been offered  for several years, and the Grand Asia doesn't usually go every year, although it did sail  in '17 and '18.  I am looking forward to seeing the  itinerary.  We had a wonderful trip in '18.  The weather  was perfect.  

There will be a Grand South America on the Volendam in January 2020. This year (2019) the Grand South America was on the Prinsendam. It was one of the best cruises we have taken. Usually, Grand Africa is offered on the Prinsendam, but the Prinsendam is no longer. Since the WC is almost sold out, they offered a Grand Africa for 2020 in the fall. Actually, this is a better time of the year to go. For 2021, the Grand Voyage in the fall will be going to Asia.

14 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

I want to go to Africa, but I can't do that Grand Voyage in 2020.

Unfortunately, you will have to hope that 2020’s  Grand Voyage in the fall to Africa is a success and that they repeat it sometime in the future.

31 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Barbara 

Interesting you would mention that.  We took the first half of the 2017 WC and were in Korea in February.  Outside temperature was in the 20's.  We were on the same deck that was open to the gangway and a few doors down from it.  The heating system failed in our cabin so the temperature was in the 40's.  Incidentally, we were moved to that room when a pipe failed in the wall in our original cabin and it flooded.  When we left the ship in Hong Kong we both had a severe cold.  Although we have done 2 Grand Voyages and 2 half World Cruises on the ship my DW has said "Never again Amsterdam!".

Ray

On 11/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, bcummin said:

Barbara 

I don't think there is a Grand Asia in 2020.  Reports are that there will be one in 2021.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, USN59-79 said:

Interesting you would mention that.  We took the first half of the 2017 WC and were in Korea in February.  Outside temperature was in the 20's.  We were on the same deck that was open to the gangway and a few doors down from it.  The heating system failed in our cabin so the temperature was in the 40's.  Incidentally, we were moved to that room when a pipe failed in the wall in our original cabin and it flooded.  When we left the ship in Hong Kong we both had a severe cold.  Although we have done 2 Grand Voyages and 2 half World Cruises on the ship my DW has said "Never again Amsterdam!".

Ray

And how was the ship responsible for your colds?  We were on the 2018 Grand Asia.  There was no noro virus, and the presence of colds was no greater than I would expect, given the times of the year and the differing climates.  It was a wonderful cruise; the ship was in excellent condition; and we hated to get off.  

31 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

And how was the ship responsible for your colds?  We were on the 2018 Grand Asia.  There was no noro virus, and the presence of colds was no greater than I would expect, given the times of the year and the differing climates.  It was a wonderful cruise; the ship was in excellent condition; and we hated to get off.  

I didn't say the ship was responsible for our colds.  But if you have to sleep in a cabin when the temperature is in the 40's for a couple of days you are more likely than not to catch a cold.  We have more than 300 days on the Amsterdam and I love a lot of things about the ship, including the crew.  But on a previous half World Cruise we also had to move to another cabin because my DW was being bitten every night by some type of small insects, probably bed bugs.  This went on for ten days and her arms and legs were covered with bites before they moved us.  Not saying the ship was responsible for that, as they were probably brought aboard by a previous passenger.  We had none of these experiences on any other HAL ships, just the Amsterdam.  Our last HAL cruise was on the Westerdam, and we are boarding her again in Hong Kong next month.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:41 PM, USN59-79 said:

I didn't say the ship was responsible for our colds.  But if you have to sleep in a cabin when the temperature is in the 40's for a couple of days you are more likely than not to catch a cold.  We have more than 300 days on the Amsterdam and I love a lot of things about the ship, including the crew.  But on a previous half World Cruise we also had to move to another cabin because my DW was being bitten every night by some type of small insects, probably bed bugs.  This went on for ten days and her arms and legs were covered with bites before they moved us.  Not saying the ship was responsible for that, as they were probably brought aboard by a previous passenger.  We had none of these experiences on any other HAL ships, just the Amsterdam.  Our last HAL cruise was on the Westerdam, and we are boarding her again in Hong Kong next month.

I can see where your experiences would leave one somewhat jaundiced toward the MS Amsterdam.